Marshall Sylvester Carter, 83, a retired Army lieutenant general who served as deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency and director of the National Security Agency in the 1960s, died of liver cancer Feb. 18 at his home in Colorado Springs.

During World War II, Gen. Carter was a key staff assistant to Gen. George C. Marshall, the Army chief of staff. He also was a special assistant to Marshall when Marshall was secretary of state after the war, and he was director of the executive office of the secretary of defense when Marshall was defense secretary in 1950 and 1951 during the Korean War.

Gen. Carter was known in the military and intelligence communities as an efficient but relaxed and informal "feet-on-the-desk" type of officer with a vast and detailed knowledge of world figures and events. He accompanied Marshall to five major international conferences: the World War II Allied summit in Cairo in 1943; the Council of Foreign Ministers in Moscow in 1947; the Inter-American Conference in Rio de Janeiro in 1947; the Conference of American States in Bogota, Colombia, in 1948; and the Third Session of the United Nations General Assembly in Paris in 1948.

In 1969, after four years of service as director of the National Security Agency, Gen. Carter retired from the Army. He had lived since then in Colorado Springs. From 1969 until 1985, he was president of the George C. Marshall Foundation in Lexington, Va.

Gen. Carter was born at Fort Monroe, Va., into a military family. At age 2, when his father was assigned in Hawaii, a Japanese nurse began calling him "Pat," and he was known by that nickname for the rest of his life.

He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1931. While at West Point, he played on the ice hockey team, and the sport became one of the great loves of his life. He later served as a director of the International Ice Hockey Federation and on the U.S. Olympic Committee.

Gen. Carter's Army service before World War II included duty with antiaircraft artillery units in Hawaii, Panama and the United States, postgraduate study at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an assignment as an instructor in the Department of Natural and Experimental Philosophy at West Point.

During the war, he served on the War Department general staff. In 1945 and 1946, he was posted in Chungking and Shanghai, where he was deputy and assistant chief of staff at China theater headquarters.

Later, he served as Marshall's special representative in Washington while Marshall was serving as special envoy in China, then as Marshall's assistant at the State Department. In 1949, he went to London to work on military assistance programs for Europe. In 1950, he returned to Washington when Marshall was named secretary of defense.

From 1952 to 1955, Gen. Carter was in Alaska as deputy commanding general of the 71st Infantry Division. His next post was Fort Sheridan, Ill., where he was commanding general of the fifth region, Army Anti-Aircraft Command.

From 1956 until December 1959, he was in Colorado Springs in several assignments, including chief of staff of the North American Air Defense Command. While serving there, he was a prominent member of an informal group called the Range Riders, whose members regularly rode horseback around Pike's Peak. He also enjoyed hunting, fishing and camping.

Gen. Carter's final two assignments before his appointment as deputy director of the CIA in 1962 were chief of staff of the 8th Army in Korea and commander of the Army Air Defense Center and Air Defense School at Fort Bliss, Tex.

His decorations included a Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, a Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster, and a Bronze Star.

Survivors include his wife, Preot Nichols Carter, whom he married in 1934, of Colorado Springs; three children, Stoney Carter of Colorado Springs, Mary Carter Nickerson of Denver and Marshall N. Carter of Boston; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.



William H. Devlin, 78, a retired Washington anesthesiologist, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 18 at Providence Hospital, where he had practiced for 40 years and had headed the department of anesthesiology.

Dr. Devlin, a resident of Washington, was born in Newark. He grew up in the borough of Brooklyn in New York. He graduated from Fordham University and moved to Washington in the 1930s as a student at the Georgetown University medical school.

During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in Europe.

In 1946, Dr. Devlin joined the staff of Providence Hospital as an anesthesiologist. He served on several committees at the hospital in addition to heading the department of anesthesiology. He retired in 1986.

Dr. Devlin was a recipient of the Gold-Headed Cane Award, which was conferred on him by his colleagues for his services to medicine.

Dr. Devlin was a past president of the D.C. Society of Anesthesiologists and a member of the Fordham Club of Washington, the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick and the parish of St. Thomas Apostle Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Katharine Lloyd Devlin of Washington; three daughters, Diane Keefe of Olney, Julie Graham of Covington, La., and Katharine Devlin of Falls Church; and four grandchildren.


Community Volunteer

Marjorie Strandberg McRoy, 73, a community volunteer who worked with church and service organizations in Northern Virginia, died Feb. 16 at a motel in Show Low, Ariz., after a heart attack. A resident of Springfield, she was on vacation when she was stricken.

Mrs. McRoy was born in Chicago. She was a graduate of the University of Chicago.

She was a schoolteacher in Illinois and a secretary in Connecticut and Massachusetts before moving to the Washington area in 1980.

She was activities director at the Lynn House nursing facility in Alexandria from 1980 to 1983, and she later did volunteer work at Lynn House. She also was a salesclerk at Woodward & Lothrop in Alexandria and an advertising representative for the Christian Science Monitor.

She was a board member of the Christian Science Church in Springfield, where she also taught Sunday school, served on the lecture committee and was librarian in the Christian Science Reading Room.

She was a member of the Pilots Club service organization.

Her husband, Robert Willard McRoy, died in 1985.

Survivors include three children, Christine Ann McRoy of Springfield, Bruce Willard McRoy of Los Angeles and Robert Eric McRoy of Show Low; and four grandchildren.