Glenn Rinker, 59, a television newscaster who from 1969 to 1976 was anchorman on WRC-TV's evening news shows in Washington, died of lung cancer Feb. 17 at his home in Orlando, Fla.

Mr. Rinker was co-anchor with Neil Boggs and later Jim Vance on the 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts on Channel 4. For his last eight months in Washington, he was co-anchor with Fred Thomas.

In 1976, Mr. Rinker left Washington for Miami, where he was co-anchor on the evening news at WPLG-TV until the spring of 1982. He won the Republican nomination for Miami's 19th District congressional seat that year, but he lost in the general election to Democrat Dante B. Fascell.

In 1983, he moved to Orlando, where he was lead anchor at WPCX-TV for eight years. The station declined to renew his contract in 1991.

Mr. Rinker was born in Athens, Pa. He served in the Navy before entering the television business.

In 1987, he was arrested in Orlando on a charge of aggravated assault after a quarrel with his then-wife, Barbara. The charges were dropped at her request, and they later divorced.

In recent years, Mr. Rinker had been active in First Baptist Church of Orlando, and with his wife, Sunny, had participated in antiabortion activities.

In addition to his wife, of Orlando, survivors include four children from his first marriage, Kevin Rinker of Miami, Steven Rinker of Binghamton, N.Y., Anthony Rinker of Albany, N.Y., and Amy Rinker of Rapid City, S.C.; a stepdaughter, Sandi Fleming of Orlando; and a brother, Keith Rinker of Oswego, N.Y.


Brigadier General

Wayne Walter Bridges, 72, a retired brigadier general in the D.C. National Guard who was adjutant general of the D.C. Guard from 1975 until 1980, died of a heart attack Feb. 15 at Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Washington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Gen. Bridges also was a retired colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers and a decorated veteran of three wars.

Gen. Bridges, a resident of Arlington who had lived in the Washington area since 1972, was born in Havre, Mont. He attended Reed College in Portland, Ore., and Stanford University, and he received a master's degree in international relations from the University of Chicago.

Gen. Bridges enlisted in the Army in 1942 and was commissioned through the Officer Candidate School. During World War II, he served in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany. In March 1945, the company he commanded in the 120th Combat Engineer Battalion in the 45th Division received a Presidential Unit Citation for its part in breaching the Siegfried line.

After the war, Gen. Bridges had assignments at various posts in the United States and peacetime tours of duty in Germany, Japan and Korea.

Gen. Bridges also was a veteran of the Korean War and the war in Vietnam.

He was in the office of the deputy chief of staff of the Army for personnel in the Pentagon when he retired in 1975 with the rank of colonel.

He was promoted to brigadier general when he was appointed adjutant general of the D.C. National Guard. He retired again in 1980.

Gen. Bridges' military decorations included two awards of the Silver Star, four awards of the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star and two Army Commendation Medals.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Marcia Ann Bridges of Arlington; two children, Jeffrey Reid Bridges of Atlanta and Wendy Ann Custer of Portland; and two grandchildren.


Archives Official

Anton F. Grassl, 88, a retired archivist at the National Archives, where he worked on captured German military records from World War II, died of septic shock Feb. 18 at Charlotte Hall Veterans Home in Charlotte Hall, Md.

A resident of Laurel until he moved to the nursing home four years ago, Mr. Grassl was born in Menominee, Mich.

He graduated from the University of Michigan, where he also received a master's degree in German literature.

As a young man, he taught German at the University of Kentucky and Creighton University and was an accountant for a brewing company in Milwaukee.

In World War II, Mr. Grassl served in the Army in Europe, and after the war, he had counterintelligence assignments in Germany. In 1952, he was stationed in Washington and assigned to work on German military records.

He remained in that assignment until 1962, when he retired from the Army.

He then joined the staff of the National Archives and continued the same work until 1977, when he retired.

A former resident of Arlington, Mr. Grassl lived in West Palm Beach, Fla., for five years in the early 1980s and then returned to the Washington area.

His wife, the former Therese Bergbauer, died in 1981.

Survivors include a son, Gary C. Grassl of Suitland; a sister, Catherine Grassl of Menominee; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Intelligence Officer

William Groves Shipman, 82, an intelligence officer who retired in 1967 from the Office of Naval Intelligence, died of cancer Feb. 12 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Shipman, who lived in Arlington, was born in Washington. He attended McKinley Technical High School and graduated from National Law School, where he also received a master's degree in patent law.

He was a detective with the Metropolitan Police Department in the 1930s, then served in the Navy as an intelligence officer during World War II.

After the war, he continued working as a civilian for the Office of Naval Intelligence while serving in the Navy Reserve.

He retired from the Navy Reserve as a captain in 1967 at the time he retired from the Office of Naval Intelligence.

Mr. Shipman was a past master of Trinity Masonic Lodge and a member of Kena Temple of the Shrine and the Kena Temple Campers.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Edna Mae Burke Shipman of Arlington; two children, Judith Ann Shipman of Dillsburg, Pa., and William Michael Shipman of Woodbridge; and two grandchildren.



Howard Vinson French, 69, an oceanographer who retired from the Naval Oceanographic Office in 1976, died Feb. 17 at Anne Arundel General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. French, who lived in Riva, was born in Rocky River, Ohio. He served in the Navy in the South Pacific during World War II.

Mr. French was a graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles.

In 1951, he moved to the Washington area and joined the staff at the Naval Oceanographic Office, where he remained for the next 25 years.

He was a former president of the Glen Isle Community Association in Riva, and he was active in the Anne Arundel County Save Our Streams program. He also was a volunteer with Meals on Wheels.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Joyce Menke French of Riva; three children, Howard T. French of Riva, Barbara Freeman of Davidsonville and Timothy Carl French of Hartford; a brother, Scott French of Toledo; a sister, Patricia Kirkham of Cleveland; and four grandchildren.