Michael J. McKeogh, 76, a retired Voice of America official who had been a wartime aide of Dwight D. Eisenhower, died March 19 at Prince George's Hospital Center after a stroke. He lived in Bowie.

Mr. McKeogh came to the Washington area in 1956 when he joined the VOA. He retired in 1978 as its special events director.

He was an Army veteran of World War II, serving as an orderly and valet to Eisenhower in this country, in North Africa, and then in Britain and France when the general and future president was supreme commander of the Allied Expeditionary Forces.

Mr. McKeogh, who was mentioned frequently in Eisenhower's wartime memoirs, "Crusade in Europe," wrote a book of his own: "Sergeant Mickey and General Ike," which was published in 1946.

An unabashed admirer of the general, he told a Washington Post reporter in 1948 that he knew "the Boss" about as well as one man can know another. "You see," he explained, "I practically lived with him for four years and I saw him first thing in the morning and last thing at night. There was never anybody like him."

Before the war, the New York state native had been a bellhop at the Plaza Hotel in New York City. After the war, he went to California and was a salesman and then vice president for Santa Barbara radio station KIST, which was operated by Eisenhower's former naval aide, Capt. Harry Butcher.

Mr. McKeogh was a fourth degree Knight of Columbus and a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Bowie. He also belonged to the Elks, Disabled American Veterans and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include his wife, the former Pearlie Hargrave, a former Women's Army Corps sergeant he married in Europe 48 years ago, and a daughter, Mary Ann McKeogh, both of Bowie; a brother, Bryan, of Woodside, N.Y.; and a sister, Kathleen Werner of St. Petersburg, Fla.


European Affairs Specialist

Edward C. Janicik, 73, a specialist in European affairs who had worked for the State Department, the Defense Department and the Mitre Corp. in McLean, died of cancer March 18 at a cancer care facility in Cleveland.

Mr. Janicik was born in Natrona, Pa. He graduated from what was then Carnegie Institute of Technology. He received a master's degree at the Sorbonne and a doctorate in European culture at the University of Pittsburgh. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and in Korea during the Korean War.

He settled in the Washington area after the Korean War and held a variety of jobs with the departments of State and Defense as a European affairs specialist. In the early 1970s, he retired from the government and worked for Mitre as a researcher until retiring there in the mid-1980s.

He moved from Washington to Cleveland 2 1/2 years ago.

Survivors include a sister, Jeanette Karwoski of Cleveland.



Rhonda Eliza Smith, 37, the solo harpist with the U.S. Air Force Band and the Air Force Symphony Orchestra until she retired in February for reasons of health, died of a brain tumor March 18 at her home in Fort Washington.

Miss Smith was born in Allentown, Pa. She graduated from the Juilliard School of Music in New York City, where she also received a master's degree.

In 1977, she moved to the Washington area and joined the Air Force Band and Air Force Symphony Orchestra. She was its featured soloist at more than 50 performances over the years, and she played at the White House, the State Department and elsewhere.

Miss Smith also had a career outside the Air Force, including occasional appearances with the National Symphony Orchestra.

She was a member of the American Harp Society and was the soloist at its 1991 national convention at George Mason University. She also was a member of the D.C. Federation of Musicians Local 161.

Survivors include her husband of 14 years, Christopher C. Hite of Fort Washington, and her parents, Ronald and Irene Smith of Allentown.


Washington Lawyer

Joseph Martin Chomski, 46, a Washington lawyer who specialized in matters involving the state of Alaska, died of leukemia March 18 at Georgetown University Hospital.

A resident of Bethesda, Mr. Chomski was born in New York. He moved to Washington in 1963 as a student at George Washington University, where he graduated in 1967. He received his law degree from GWU in 1970.

In 1972, he founded the Washington Analysis Corp., a financial consulting firm. In 1974, he went to work in the Washington office of Birch, Horton, Bittner & Cherot, an Alaska law firm, and was a senior partner at his death.

Over the years, he represented the government of Alaska and Alaskan business, labor and native groups before various federal agencies and boards. Issues on which he worked ranged from the oil industry to the fur industry.

Mr. Chomski was active in GWU alumni affairs, and he established a mentor program for members of the GWU basketball team. He was a member of the Colonial Club, the university's athletics booster organization.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen Brown Chomski, and three children, Cara Brown Chomski, Bennett Isaac Chomski and Adam George Chomski, all of Bethesda; and his mother, Masha Chomski of New York.


Advertising Executive

Robert Hyde Ames, 82, a retired advertising and direct-mail executive who helped develop a viewer-support program for WETA-TV (Channel 26) in the early 1960s, died of a heart attack March 18 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tucson.

A resident of the Washington area for 40 years, Mr. Ames was the former owner of R.H. Ames Associates, a direct-mail and advertising company in Alexandria. His principal clients were the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Chemical Association.

When he started his business in 1963, he also was a consultant to WETA-TV, a public television station, for building a membership program. The techniques he devised were adopted by public television stations in other cities.

Mr. Ames was born in Cincinnati and graduated from Ohio University. During World War II, he served in the Navy and was stationed in Washington. After the war, he remained here.

In the late 1940s, he worked in advertising for Capital Airlines and the Kiplinger Washington Letter and Changing Times Magazine. In the 1950s, he worked for various advertising companies, and in 1961, he became publisher of the Army, Navy Air Force Journal. He retired from his own business in 1978.

Mr. Ames was a member of the Direct Mail Marketing Association of Washington and a recipient of its Man of the Year award. A former resident of Alexandria, he moved to Arizona in 1983.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Virginia Wade Ames of Tucson; three daughters, Lucy Copass of Seattle, Martha Burgess of Tucson and Mary Ames of Kill Devil Hills, N.C.; and four grandchildren.


Air Pollution Official

John T. Middleton, 80, who headed the air pollution program at the Environmental Protection Agency in the early 1970s and then became a consultant to the United Nations and other organizations, died of cancer March 20 at the home of a son in McLean.

A resident of Washington since 1967, Dr. Middleton was born in Chicago. He graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, from which he also received a master's degree in botany. He received a doctorate in plant pathology from the University of Missouri.

He taught at the University of California at Riverside before moving to the Washington area. He also had served as director of the California State Air Pollution Control Board.

When he came here, he took charge of the air pollution control program at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In 1970, he transferred to the EPA, which was organized at that time.

In 1972, he retired from the government and became a consultant. In addition to the United Nations, his clients included the World Health Organization and foreign governments.

Dr. Middleton was a member of the Sierra Club.

His first wife, June Russell Middleton, died in 1960. His second wife, Diana C. Middleton, died in 1991. Survivors include four children from his first marriage, Peter C. Middleton of Chicago, David B. Middleton of McLean, Mary M. Hewins of Richboro, Pa., and Sara M. Belknap of San Jose; and seven grandchildren.



Adriana Johanna "Joanne" Chutter, 88, an area resident since 1963 who was active in volunteer work, died of a heart ailment March 17 at the Bethesda Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, where she had lived for a year. She lived in Washington before that.

She had been a docent at both the National Gallery of Art and Corcoran Gallery of Art. She also had been active in the YWCA and The Hospitality and Information Service (THIS) of Meridian House. She was a member of the City Tavern Club.

Mrs. Chutter was born to Dutch parents in Sumatra and educated in the Netherlands, receiving a law degree from Leiden University in 1926. She spoke eight languages.

In 1929, she married Reginald Frederick Chutter. They lived in Philadelphia before he joined the Foreign Service. She accompanied him on tours abroad and worked at volunteer activities along the way. She chaired a refugee clothing committee in Greece, directed social services as vice president of the Taiwan International Women's Club and did volunteer work in Lebanon and Turkey.

Her husband was an official of the Agency for International Development when he died in 1963. Survivors include a daughter, Harriet Chutter Mathews of Bethesda; and two grandchildren.



Cesar M. Velasco, 61, a Rockville home-improvement contractor for the last 31 years, died of lymphoma March 12 at the National Institutes of Health's clinical center. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Velasco, a native of Lima, Peru, came to this country and the Washington area in 1961. He was a veteran of the both the U.S. and Peruvian armies.

He was a 17-year member of St. Jude's Catholic Church in Rockville. He sang in area clubs and with the Hexagon Club here in the 1960s and 1970s. He did volunteer work with the Big Brothers in the early 1970s.

Survivors include his wife of 23 years, the former Shirley Rhoads, of Rockville; two daughters, Elena Velasco of Takoma Park and Laurie Velasco of Rockville; a sister, Julia Camacho of Paterson, N.J.; a half brother, Victor Sanchez of Lima; and a grandson.


Army Officer

Thomas George Worley, 81, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army who became a systems engineer with ARINC, an Annapolis consulting firm in the space and defense industries, died of congestive heart failure March 17 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

A resident of the Fairfax retirement home at Fort Belvoir, Col. Worley was born in Pettibone, N.D. He graduated from Jamestown College in Jamestown, N.D. In the 1930s, he sold automobiles in St. Cloud, Minn.

In World War II, Col. Worley was called to active duty as an Army artillery officer. He was stationed in Puerto Rico during the war and later had assignments in Korea, Japan and Germany. He was stationed at Colorado Springs when he retired in 1965.

He moved to the Washington area at that time, settled in Annapolis and joined ARINC. He retired in 1975. He moved to the Fairfax in 1992.

Col. Worley was a member of the All-Army Pistol Team in 1956. He also was a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, the First Presbyterian Church in Annapolis and the National Rifle Association.

His wife of 56 years, Frederika J. Worley, died in 1992. Survivors include three children, Patrick T. Worley of Joplin, Mo., James B. Worley of Westminster, Colo., and Judith K. Hingle of Alexandria; a brother, Brice Worley of La Palma, Calif.; and seven grandchildren.