Earl Chudoff, 85, a Pennsylvania Democrat who served in the House of Representatives from January 1949 to January 1958, died May 17 at a hospital in Philadelphia. The cause of death was not reported.

Judge Chudoff resigned from the House after he was elected to a judgeship on the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. He retired from the bench in 1974.

In Congress, he had served on the House District Committee and the House Government Operations Committee and had been chairman of the House Public Works Committee's subcommittee on public works and resources.

As a judge, he was known for often holding defendants, lawyers and witnesses in contempt of court for failing to act respectfully in his courtroom.

Judge Chudoff, a Philadelphia native, was a Coast Guard veteran of World War II. A 1929 economics graduate of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, he graduated from the University of Pittsburgh law school in 1932.

In the 1930s, He practiced law in Philadelphia and was a building and loan examiner with the Pennsylvania state banking department. He served in the state legislature from 1941 to 1948, then was elected to Congress in November 1948 from Pennsylvania's 4th District.


Data and Traffic Specialist

Edward A. Guilbert, 74, an electronic data exchange and military traffic specialist who was a retired Air Force colonel, died of cancer May 16 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He had lived in Washington since 1958.

Col. Guilbert, who served as traffic director for the China-India-Burma theater during World War II, retired from the Air Force in 1968 after 28 years in the military. A former deputy commander of the Military Traffic Management Command and deputy director of transportation for the Air Force, he served as a traffic director during the Berlin Airlift, as well as during emergency airlift operations in Korea and the 1956 Hungarian uprising.

He retired from active duty as a special assistant to Transportation Secretary Alan Boyd.

Founder of the Electronic Data Interchange, which enables companies and government agencies to do business by computer, he was president until 1988 of the Electronic Data Interchange Association. Since then, he had been president of Guilbert and Associates, a provider of electronic data interchange motivational programs, training and counseling.

His military decorations included two awards of the Legions of Merit and a Bronze Star.

Col. Guilbert was born in Waterbury, Conn. He was a graduate of the University of Vermont and received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University. He attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and the Harvard University Advanced Management Program.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Frances Simonson Guilbert of Washington; two children, Peter Guilbert of Springfield and Jane Guilbert of Washington; and two grandchildren.


Carry-Out Owner

Louis Abraham Litman, 85, retired owner of Luros Carryout Shop & Restuarant in Glover Park, died of renal failure May 17 at his home in Culver City, Calif. A resident of Washington for 70 years, he moved to California in 1986.

Mr. Litman was born in what was then Brest-Litovsk, Russia. His family settled in Washington in 1916. He attended Central High School, Benjamin Franklin University and the University of Maryland. He served in the Navy in Guam during World War II.

He was a sports reporter for the Washington Daily News during the 1930s and played guitar and banjo in the Barnee Breeskin Orchestra. He served in the Navy in Guam during World War II.

Mr. Litman worked with his father, Jacob Litman, in the family's grocery store on Wisconsin Avenue NW after the war and converted the store to a carryout after his father's death. Mr. Litman retired from the business in 1973 and worked as a free-lance executive chef until 1979.

He was a member of Adas Israel Congregation in Washington and the Jewish War Veterans.

His wife, Rose Litman, died in 1977. Survivors include four children, Robert Litman and Marcia Greene, both of Los Angeles, Ronald Litman of Culver City, and Mitchell Litman of Silver Spring; a sister, Sophie Shapiro of Washington; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Engineer and Musician

Fred Loose, 70, a musician and retired electrical engineer who had worked at Fort Belvoir, died May 16 at Anne Arundel Medical Center after a heart attack. He collapsed at the keyboard of his piano at the Topside Inn in Galesville, where he led Sunday Dixieland jam sessions and Friday and Saturday piano singalongs.

Mr. Loose, who lived in Fair Haven, was born in Reading, Pa. He was an Army Air Forces radio operator and gunner in Europe during World War II, and received three Bronze Stars and an Air Medal.

He settled in the Washington area after the war and worked two years as a radio operator for American Airlines before joining the staff at Fort Belvoir. He also played piano at various clubs and night spots in the Washington area. He retired from Fort Belvoir in 1973. Since 1974 he had played piano at the Topside Inn.

Mr. Loose was organist for the Elks lodge in Deale, and a member of the American Legion in Chesapeake Beach, the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Annapolis, the Silver Spring Moose, the Potomac River Jazz Club and St. James Episcopal Church in Lothian.

His marriage to Betty June Popp ended in divorce. His second wife, Susan Webster, died in 1953.

Survivors include his wife, Myrtle Jones Loose of Fair Haven; a daughter by his first marriage, Janet Christine Gillespie of Rocky Mount, N.C.; a daughter by his second marriage, Ricke Morgan of Shadyside, Md.; four stepchildren, Alfred E. Jones Jr. and James W. Jones, both of Chesapeake Beach, Judith Ellen Hebert of Tampa, Fla., and Carol Ann Rebecca of Coral Springs, Fla.; and nine grandchildren.