CODY, WYO. -- Milward Lee Simpson, 95, a Wyoming Republican who had served as the state's governor and as a U.S. senator, died June 10 at a nursing home here. He had Parkinson's disease.

He was the father of Sen. Alan K. Simpson (R-Wyo.).

Gov. Simpson was a staunch defender of states' rights and opponent of capital punishment.

He failed in his first run for the U.S. Senate in 1940, when he was defeated by the incumbent, Sen. Joseph C. O'Mahoney (D). He returned to politics in 1954 when he was elected governor. During his single four-year term in the statehouse, he commuted both death sentences that crossed his desk.

He championed states' rights as governor and in his successful 1962 campaign for the Senate. He said he believed Wyoming residents had a right to "control of our water, our wildlife, our public education, and our other natural and spiritual resources."

He was elected to the Senate to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Senator-elect Keith Thomson. He served in the Senate until 1967, when Parkinson's disease and arthritis forced him to retire. He had not been a candidate for reelection in 1966.

Gov. Simpson was born in a log cabin in Jackson, Wyo. He was descended from some of Wyoming's earliest settlers. He was an Army veteran of World War I and a 1921 graduate of the University of Wyoming, where he was captain of the football, baseball and basketball teams, a debater and school newspaper editor. He graduated from Harvard University law school in 1925 and was admitted to the Wyoming bar in 1926. He practiced law for a time with his father, William Simpson, who had prosecuted outlaw Butch Cassidy on grand larceny charges.

Gov. Simpson practiced law in Cody until 1955. He served in the state House of Representatives in 1926 and 1927. After four years as governor, he resumed the practice of law in 1959.

He was a past president of the board of trustees of the University of Wyoming and the National Association of Governing Boards of State Universities and Allied Institutions.

In addition to his son, Gov. Simpson's survivors include his wife, Lorna Kooi Simpson, whom he married in 1929; another son, Pete; and six grandchildren.



Earl Henry "Beau" Thompson III, 16, an Alexandria resident who was a sophomore at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County, died June 9.

A spokesman for the Virginia State Police said Mr. Thompson was driving east on the Capital Beltway, near Telegraph Road, when he struck the concrete divider on the road's left side. He was pronounced dead at the scene, and a 15-year-old Alexandria youth who was riding with him was treated at a hospital and released, police said.

Mr. Thompson was born in Louisiana and moved here nine years ago. At school, he had been on football and wrestling teams. He had played basketball, baseball and soccer in the Fort Hunt Youth Athletic Association. He also was a member of the Waynewood neighborhood swim team and had been a soccer official with the Northern Virginia Soccer League.

He was a member of Aldersgate Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his parents, Mary P.A. and Earl Thompson Jr. of Alexandria; a grandfather, James D. Ashmore of Baton Rouge, La.; and a great-grandmother, Fannie Belle Ashmore of Duck Hill, Miss.


Electric Supply Company Owner

Abraham "Al" Press, 85, retired owner of Ace Electrical Supply Co. in Washington, died of cancer June 9 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. A resident of the Washington area for 55 years, he lived in Hollywood, Fla., and was here for medical treatment.

Mr. Press was born in Philadelphia and moved to the Washington area when he was 18. He worked for other electrical supply companies before founding Ace in 1935. He retired in 1979.

He was a Shriner and a member of the Lions Club of North Washington, Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Chevy Chase and Norbeck Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Eva Press of Hollywood; three sons, Larry Press of Potomac, Harvey Press of Silver Spring and Stephen Press of Darnestown; a sister, Emma Goodman of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Association Official

D. Francis Finn, 71, a retired executive vice president of the National Association of College and University Business Officers, died of an aortic aneurysm June 8 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Finn, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Norwich, Conn. He grew up in Bedford, Mass. He graduated from Brown University, and he served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

After the war, he became an assistant purchasing agent at Brown. Later he was a purchasing agent, business officer and assistant treasurer of Purdue University.

In 1969, Mr. Finn moved to the Washington area to work for the National Association of College and University Business Officers. He retired in 1986.

Mr. Finn was a member of the Washington Kiwanis Club, Rotary International and the parish of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac. He also was active in the Boy Scouts.

His wife, Gabrielle Beausoleil Finn, died in 1991.

Survivors include five children, Daniel Francis Finn of Derwood, Mark B. Finn of Naperville, Ill., Chad E. Finn of Corvallis, Ore., Beth L. Finn of Washington and Bart D. Finn of Peoria, Ill.; and 10 grandchildren.



Samuel Gilbert Foshee, 76, a Washington lawyer who specialized in criminal and traffic matters, died of lung and liver ailments June 6 at George Washington University Hospital.

A resident of Washington since 1941, Mr. Foshee was born in Clanton, Ala. He was raised in Akron, Ohio. During World War II, he served in the Army. He graduated from Howard University, where he also received a law degree.

In 1957, he established a private law practice, and he continued it until his death.

Mr. Foshee was a member of the D.C. Bar, the National Bar Association, Asbury United Methodist Church and the River Terrace Community Organization.

His marriage to Laura Foshee ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Susie Taylor Foshee, and their son, Stanley K. Foshee, both of Washington; a son from his first marriage, Alan Raymond Foshee of Baltimore; four half sisters, Cassie Anderson, Yvonne Morton, Janie Foshee and Ayesha Nurrudin, all of Akron; three half brothers, Narry and Gilbert Foshee, both of Chicago, and William Foshee of Akron; and two grandchildren.


Claims Examiner

Joseph M. Sponaugle, 64, a claims examiner who retired from the Veterans Administration in 1968, died of cardiac arrest June 3 at a hospital in Tampa. A resident of the Washington area for 50 years, he moved to Clearwater, Fla., from Bethesda last year.

Mr. Sponaugle was a native of Cumberland, Md. He served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific during World War II.

He was briefly a clerk for the Navy after the war and worked for the Veterans Administration for more than 20 years.

Mr. Sponaugle was a member of the Disabled American Veterans and the American Legion.

His marriage to Marie Sponaugle ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Ann Mangialardo of Bowie; three brothers, Phillip R. Sponaugle Sr. of Belleview, Neb., Duane E. Sponaugle of Temple Hills and Richard B. Sponaugle of Rehoboth Beach, Del.; and a sister, Mary V. Holman of Silver Hill, Ala.



Nathalie B. Saitzoff, 93, a retired Russian-language translator at the Library of Congress, died of cancer June 3 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Saitzoff was born in Kiev, Ukraine, in what was then the Russian Empire.

In 1920, she moved to Germany. She lived in Belgium and France until the end of World War II, when she came to the United States and settled in New York. She moved to Washington in 1950.

Mrs. Saitzoff was a translator at the Library of Congress for about 20 years after she came to the Washington area.

She was a volunteer at the Library for the Performing Arts at the Kennedy Center, a board member of Young Concert Artists and a member of the Tailwaggers Club, a social group.

Her husband, Alexander Saitzoff, whom she married in 1923, died in 1979.

She leaves no immediate survivors.


GAO Official

J. Kenneth Fasick, 68, a retired chief of the international division of the General Accounting Office, died of cancer June 8 at his home in Smyrna, Del.

A former resident of Alexandria, Mr. Fasick was born in Altoona, Pa. He grew up there and in Cheverly. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

After the war, he went to the University of Maryland, where he majored in accounting and graduated with a bachelor's degree. He was a certified public accountant.

Mr. Fasick worked for the accounting firm of Price Waterhouse & Co. before joining the GAO in 1954. He was named head of the international division, a post in which he was responsible for auditing the international activities of the government, in 1973. He retired in 1981.

He moved to Smyrna in 1983.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Rosemary T. Fasick of Smyrna; three sons, Jerold W. Fasick of Springfield, Jeffrey K. Fasick of Eldersburg, Md., and Bruce P. Fasick of Woodbridge; two sisters, Ann Burchinal and Mary Lou Wright, both of Daytona, Fla.; three brothers, Karl E. Fasick of Natick, Mass., Chester E. Fasick of Edgewater and Donn Frederic Fasick of Lancaster, Va.; and six grandchildren.



Paul F. Krueger, 85, a statistician who retired as acting chief of the statistical standards division of the Office of Management and Budget, died of a cerebral hemorrhage June 9 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Krueger retired from the Office of Management and Budget in 1973, after 27 years with that agency and its predecessors.

A native of Kirksville, Mo., he was a graduate of the University of Missouri, where he also received a master's degree in economics. He taught economics at the University of Alabama and Dana College in Newark before moving to the Washington area in 1935.

Mr. Krueger was chief of the office of rental analysis at the Federal Housing Administration before joining what was then the Bureau of the Budget as a clearance officer. He later represented the United States at statistical conferences in Europe.

He was a member of the Washington Statistical Service, the American Statistical Association, the National Economists Club and the American Economics Association.

His first wife, Dorothy Scher Krueger, died in 1978, and his second wife, Emma Huston Krueger, died in March.

Survivors include two daughters from his first marriage, Dana Krueger Grossman of Washington and Ellen Siesel of New York; and two granddaughters.


Army Officer

Mishia Frederick, 69, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who became a civilian personnel and supply official in the Department of the Army, died of heart ailments June 7 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He had diabetes.

A resident of Alexandria who had lived in the Washington area since 1966, Col. Frederick was born in Switchback, W.Va. He served in the Army as an enlisted man in World War II and took part in the invasion of Normandy on D-Day. After the war, he graduated from Concord College in Athens, W.Va.

In 1951, he returned to the Army as a commissioned officer. In addition to serving at various posts in the United States, he had assignments in Korea, Germany and Italy. He was stationed at Fort Myer when he retired in 1970.

He then went to work for the Army Department. He retired a second time in 1986.

Col. Frederick was a life master of the American Contract Bridge League.

His marriage to Norma Frederick ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Carol Ann Frederick of Bluefield, W.Va.; and two brothers, Dr. Daniel Frederick of Blacksburg, Va., and Eustace Frederick of Bluefield.


Ikebana Board Member

Helen E. Walitschek, 83, a member of the executive board of the local chapter of Ikebana International, a flower-arranging organization, died of cancer June 8 at her home, the Fairfax retirement community at Fort Belvoir.

Mrs. Walitschek accompanied her husband, Army Col. Kurt L. Walitschek, to assignments in the United States, Germany and Japan before moving to the Washington area 30 years ago.

She was a native of Chicago and a graduate of Park College in Missouri. She worked for the U.S. Maritime Commission in San Francisco during World War II and as an executive assistant at the Dean Witter investment company in that city after the war.

In addition to her Ikebana work, Mrs. Walitschek was a member of the Asian Forum and the women's committee of the National Symphony Orchestra. She was president of the Quartermaster Women's Club in Washington.

Her husband died in 1985.

Survivors include a sister, Phyllis Bergman of San Leandro, Calif.