The obituary of Deloura Bristow, which was published on Oct. 19, incorrectly reported how her first marriage ended. Her first husband, Donald Bonow, died in 1969. (Published 10/20/93)

Richard Manning Ricks, 40, a criminal lawyer whose hearing loss led to the installation of the first simultaneous translation equipment in D.C. Superior Court, died of cancer Oct. 16 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Ricks, who represented indigent defendants in the court for more than a decade, began losing his hearing to a degenerative disease in 1984. Participating in cases became increasingly difficult for him, and for a time, he withdrew from court practice.

In 1991, the Superior Court installed a computer terminal that displayed translations of courtroom discussion, allowing him to return to full-time trial work. He also relied on an amplifier to augment his hearing, then reduced to less than 25 percent in one ear only. He won his case the day the equipment was launched.

Mr. Ricks was born in Chicago. He was a graduate of Evergreen State University in Washington state and, after moving to the Washington area in the 1970s, Antioch Law School. While a student at Antioch, he participated in litigation on behalf of indigent hospital patients.

Later, as a lawyer, he also worked on a Freedom of Information Act case in District Court that established the principle that the Privacy Act was not a blockade to FOI requests.

Early in his career, Mr. Ricks worked for a law firm and as counsel to the National Organization for the Legalization of Marijuana. More recently, he was in practice with his wife, J.E. McNeil.

He and his wife founded an organization, the Grain of Mustard Seed, to help pay travel and other expenses for D.C. drug defendants receiving drug treatment outside the Washington area.

Mr. Ricks was a member of the Superior Court Trial Lawyers Association and the Friends Meeting of Washington.

In addition to his wife, of Washington, survivors include a son, Russell Ricks-McNeil of Washington; his parents, Anne and David Ricks of Cincinnati; two brothers, David Ricks of Albuquerque and Thomas Ricks of Silver Spring; and three sisters, Margaret Ricks Doherty of Montague, Mass., Dr. Anne Sumers of Upper Saddle River, N.J., and Sarah Ricks of Philadelphia.


Husband and Wife

David W. Olive, 51, an accounting technician with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and his wife, Linda M. Lieberman, 46, a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, were killed Oct. 13 in a traffic accident in Prince George's County.

Maryland State Police said the car in which they were riding was westbound on Route 50, the John Hanson Highway, when it went out of control on a ramp leading to Kenilworth Avenue near Cheverly, crashed through a barrier and rolled down an embankment. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr. Olive and Ms. Lieberman were Washington natives, and they were residents of the city when they died. Ms. Lieberman was a graduate of Coolidge High School, and Mr. Olive graduated from Anacostia High.

Ms. Lieberman was licensed by the federal government as a wildlife rehabilitator, and she often was called on to care for animals that had been injured. She was a member of the Wildlife Rescue League of Virginia, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the Folklore Society of Greater Washington.

Mr. Olive was an Army veteran of the Vietnam War. He attended Federal City College, which is now part of the University of the District of Columbia, and the University of Virginia. He worked for the Labor as well as the Health and Human Services departments before joining the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission 10 years ago.

He was a blues singer and guitarist and a member of the board of directors of the Folklore Society of Greater Washington.

His marriage to Linda Olive ended in divorce, and he leaves no immediate survivors.

Ms. Lieberman's survivors include her parents, Melvin and Ruth Lieberman of North Miami Beach, Fla.; and two sisters, Rebecca Lieberman of Lansdale, Pa., and Lois Lieberman of Kissimmee, Fla.


League Administrator

Patricia Lee Lewis, 61, the widow of Navy Rear Adm. James R. Lewis, who was a founding member and the first administrator of the Naval Submarine League, died of ovarian cancer Oct. 14 at her home. She had lived in Alexandria since 1972.

She helped found the league in 1983 and had served as its administrator since that time. She had been named the organization's 1993 Submarine Hero.

Mrs. Lewis, a native of Albuquerque, accompanied her husband on tours in this country and to Scotland. He died in 1982.

Survivors include three daughters, Linda LaCoursiere of Fredericksburg, Donna Robinson of Silver Spring and Terry Ginda of Gales Ferry, Conn.; and a sister, Sally Jo Lash of Albuquerque.


Longtime Area Resident

Jayne Swartzbaugh Day, 71, an area resident since 1948 who was a member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Washington and Congressional Country Club, died of cancer Oct. 16 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Day was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, and grew up in Toledo. She was a 1942 graduate of Fairmont Junior College in Washington.

Her husband, Marcus M. Day Jr., died in 1990, and a son, Marcus III, died in 1976. Survivors include a son, Stephen, of Gaithersburg; two daughters, Christina Keker of San Francisco and Susan Drescher of Rockville; her mother, Helen V. Swartzbaugh of Toledo; and seven grandchildren.


Washington Native

Deloura Jean Phillips "DJ" Bristow, 49, a Washington native who left this area in 1969 when she moved to Great Britain, died Oct. 16 at a hospital in Stevenage, England. She had cancer.

Mrs. Bristow, who lived in St. Ippolyts, England, was born in Washington and grew up in Prince George's County. A 1961 graduate of Bladensburg High School, she attended the University of Maryland. After moving to Britain, she did family counseling work.

Her marriage to Donald Bonow ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Roderick L. Bristow, and two children, Katherine and Mark, all of St. Ippolyts; her mother, Mary Moncure of Leisure World in Silver Spring; and a sister, Pat Pugh-Stanley of Alexandria.


Army Colonel and Insurance Executive

Paul R. Holland Jr., 70, a former insurance executive and retired Army colonel whose military decorations included the Bronze Star and two awards of the Legion of Merit, died Oct. 1 at his home in Alexandria. He had a brain tumor.

Col. Holland, who had lived in Alexandria since 1968, was a native of Gastonia, N.C. He was a 1945 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and received a master's degree in business administration from Syracuse University.

He spent 30 years in the Army, including a tour as an infantry company commander in the Korean War and tour in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968. He retired from active duty as personnel and commercial affairs director in the office of the undersecretary of defense for manpower and reserve affairs in 1975. He then worked for United Service Life Insurance Co. in Alexandria, retiring in 1988 as a senior vice president.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, the former Jacquelynne Cairns, of Alexandria; a son, Paul III, of Herndon; a daughter, Gwen Holland Greathouse of Lexington, N.C.; a sister, Elizabeth Holland Amos of Kings Mountain, N.C.; and seven grandchildren.


Systems Analyst

Ethan Allen Hurd, 78, a systems analyst who retired from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in 1980, died Oct. 17 at Fairfax Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Hurd, who lived in Vienna, was born in Minneapolis. He graduated from the University of Minnesota and did graduate study in political science at Syracuse University's Maxwell School.

He served in the Navy Supply Corps during World War II and was recalled for active service in the Korean War. Later, he was staff commander of an air wing in the Navy Reserve.

He settled in the Washington area and began his career with the Patent Office in 1945.

Survivors include his wife, Edna Hurd of Vienna; four daughters, Carole Simmons of Hermosa Beach, Calif., Wendy Gannon of Rosamond, Calif., and Karen Baum and Nancy Arditi, both of Reston; and five grandchildren.


Budget Officer

James David Allwine, 54, a budget officer who had worked for the Navy Department for the last 32 years, died of complications of pancreatitis Oct. 16 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Allwine, who lived in Brandywine, was born in Washington. He graduated from Anacostia High School and Western Maryland College.

Survivors include his wife, Sonia Allwine of Brandywine; and three children, Kymberly Allwine of Upper Marlboro, Army 2nd Lt. Lisa Allwine of Indianapolis and Scott Allwine of Brandywine.


Research Analyst

Emily I. "Lee" Horecky, 76, a senior research analyst who retired in 1978 after 27 years at the Library of Congress, died of multiple myeloma Oct. 18 at her home at the Collington Life Care Community in Mitchellville. A longtime resident of Alexandria, she had lived in the Washington area since 1951.

Mrs. Horecky was a native of Salem, Mass., and a graduate of DePauw University, where she also received a master's degree in German. She did additional graduate work in Germanic studies at the University of Freiburg in Germany.

She taught military personnel at DePauw during World War II and worked for the Red Cross in Guam. In the late 1940s, she worked on the staff of the Army chief counsel during war crimes trials in Germany.

As a researcher at the Library of Congress, she did reports on foreign countries for federal agencies.

Mrs. Horecky was a member of the National Organization for Women and Mount Vernon Unitarian Church.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, Dr. Paul L. Horecky of Mitchellville; and a son, Frederick J. Horecky of Agana, Guam.