Mary C. Lawton, 58, the Justice Department's counsel for intelligence policy and foreign intelligence surveillance, was found dead Oct. 27 at her home in Bethesda. She had a pulmonary embolism.

At the time of her death, she was counsel for intelligence policy of the department's office of intelligence policy and review. In that post, she reviewed surveillance requests and represented the government before the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

Miss Lawton, a Washington native, was a 1957 magna cum laude graduate of Seton Hill College in Pennsylvania, and she graduated first in her 1960 class at Georgetown University Law School.

She began her Justice Department career in 1960 as a lawyer-adviser in the office of legal counsel as part of the attorney general's honors program. In 1972, she was named a deputy assistant attorney general.

In 1979, she left the Justice Department to become general counsel of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. In 1980, she became a White House administrative law officer. She returned to the Justice Department in 1982.

During her years at Justice, she helped draft Freedom of Information Privacy Act legislation. She also helped draft the FBI Guidelines for Domestic Security and Foreign Counterintelligence, issued by Edward H. Levi, the attorney general at the time.

Miss Lawton was a recipient of the Justice Department's John Marshall Award in 1970 and the Attorney General's Exceptional Service Award in 1983. Three years later, she received the Central Intelligence Agency's Seal Medallion.

Survivors include a sister, Kathleen L. Kenna of Sparta, N.J.


Clinical Psychologist

Maurice R. Seaquist, 68, a clinical psychologist who served as the Air Force's chief psychologist before retiring as a lieutenant colonel in 1971, died Oct. 27 at Southern Maryland Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Clinton.

He practiced clinical psychology in Clinton from 1971 until retiring a second time in 1991.

Dr. Seaquist, an area resident since 1969, was a native of Pasadena, Calif. He was a 1949 sociology graduate of Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wash. He received a master's degree in psychology from the University of Pacific in California and a psychology doctorate from the University of Texas.

He entered the Army Air Forces in 1943 and was commissioned the following year. His World War II service included tours as a pilot flying over "The Hump" in the China-Burma-India theater. He left active duty after the war, then returned to active duty as an Air Force psychologist during the Korean conflict. He was stationed at Andrews Air Force Base when he retired from active duty.

Dr. Seaquist's military decorations included the Air Force Commendation Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Carol J., of Clinton; two sons, Stephen, of Temple Hills, and Rodger, of Waldorf; two daughters, Laurie Seaquist of Palm Bay, Fla., and Kristine Easley of Clinton; a sister, Margie Lyons of Escalon, Calif.; and five grandchildren.


Dry-Cleaning Innovator

Benjamin Weller, 81, a businessman who helped develop the process of one-hour dry cleaning, died of kidney failure Oct. 26 at Bedford Court Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Weller, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Altoona, Pa. He moved to the Washington area in 1939 and worked in a variety of sales positions for the next 10 years.

In 1949, he and a partner developed a synthetic solvent procedure that shortened the dry-cleaning process from a matter of several days to as little as one hour. That led to the formation of a chain of one-hour martinizing shops in cooperation with the Martin Equipment Co. of Buffalo.

Mr. Weller subsequently owned and operated a chain of 28 such dry-cleaning shops in Maryland, Virginia and the Carolinas.

Later, he sold the stores and distributed cleaning equipment and supplies. He retired in the late 1980s.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Jeane Weller, and a daughter, Marci Bulitt, both of Silver Spring; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Boating Supplies Salesman

Harold George Park Jr., 50, a self-employed boating and fishing supplies salesman, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 26 at his home in Riva, Md.

He was born in Washington and raised in Silver Spring. A former project manager for American Mosaic Tile Co. in Beltsville, he moved to Riva five years ago. In addition to selling supplies, including a fishing lure that he designed called the Crooked Tail, Mr. Park was a part-time graphic designer associated with Quality Services Co. in Edgewater, Md.

Mr. Park graduated from Northwood High School and attended Montgomery College. He served in the Navy.

Mr. Park was a member of the Hillandale Volunteer Fire Department.

Survivors include his wife, Susan Irey Park of Shady Side, Md.; three children, Scott Park of Annapolis and Kimberly Park and Stacey Park, both of Shady Side; a sister, Susan Reavis of Fancy Gap, Va.; and his grandmother, Virgina Elgin of Vienna.



Margaret Stokes Wharton, 74, a retired secretary who worked for the director of the Bureau of the Budget during World War II, died of complications of Hodgkin's disease Oct. 23 at a hospital in Olympia, Wash. A resident of Olympia, she had lived in Washington from 1940 to 1965.

Mrs. Wharton was born in Malden, Mo. She attended Southeast Missouri State University. After leaving this area, she was a secretary for Kimberly Clark Corp. in Wisconsin and for Lockheed Corp. in California.

She was a former member of New York Avenue Presbyterian Church.

Her husband, Thomas P. Wharton Sr., died in 1992, and a son, Richard Wharton, died in 1969. Survivors include three sons, Dr. Thomas P. Wharton Jr. of North Hampton, N.H., Dr. Robert S. Wharton of Olympia and John H. Wharton of Palo Alto, Calif.; a sister, Mary S. Wood of Alexandria; a brother, Robert Stokes of Cincinnati; and six grandchildren.



Thomas Mark Fortuin, 48, a former Washington lawyer and a founding partner of the law firm of Becker and Chameides here, died Oct. 18 at a hospital in Laguna Beach, Calif. He had AIDS.

Mr. Fortuin lived in Washington from 1971 to 1988, when he moved to Los Angeles to work for Paramount Pictures Corp. Most recently, he was senior vice president and deputy general counsel there.

He was born in Paterson, N.J., and graduated from Columbia University and Columbia Law School, then worked as an assistant U.S. attorney in Manhattan.

In this area, he was special counsel to the Committee on Official Standards of Conduct for the House of Representatives (the Koreagate Committee) before helping to found Becker and Chameides in 1979.

Survivors include his companion, Michael Mickiewicz of Laguna Beach; two brothers, Dr. Nicholas Fortuin of Baltimore and Dr. Floyd Fortuin of San Francisco; and a sister, Katherine Reiss of New York.


Travel Executive

Harriet S. Pomerantz, 66, who owned and operated Potomac Travel from 1979 to 1987, died of cancer Oct. 28 at her home in Potomac.

Mrs. Pomerantz was born in Newburgh, N.Y. She graduated from Smith College and received a master's degree in library science from Simmons College in Boston.

Before moving to this area in 1962, she accompanied her husband to various military posts while he was on active duty with the Army.

Mrs. Pomerantz had served on the board of Washington Hebrew Congregation, and she was a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club. With her husband, Reuben Pomerantz, she participated in volunteer activities for various Jewish organizations. He died in May.

In addition to her home in Potomac, Mrs. Pomerantz lived in Boca Raton, Fla.

Survivors include two daughters, Debra Gordon of Rockville and Sharon Pearlman of North Potomac; and four grandchildren.



Norma E. Branan Bisgood, 69, a former secretary, died of cancer Oct. 27 at the home of a daughter in Fairfax. A Washington native and graduate of Central High School, she moved from Bethesda to Lewes, Del., in 1980.

From the 1940s to the 1960s, Mrs. Bisgood worked for the law firms of Paul Batter and Gardiner and Wrenn and for weather broadcaster Louis Allen.

Survivors include her husband of 51 years, William E. Bisgood of Lewes; six children, Patricia Claussen of Denver, Joan O'Brien of Los Angeles, Catherine Frissell of Bethesda, William F. Bisgood of Wheaton, Sandra Bisgood-Woodell of Fairfax and Rebecca Furgurson of Annapolis; 11 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.


Pepco Official

Henry Bedinger Goldsborough Jr., 70, a retired Potomac Electric Power Co. official who was a member of St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church in McLean, died Oct. 28 at Fairfax Hospital after surgery for a heart ailment. He lived in McLean.

He worked for Pepco for 32 years before retiring in 1986. A mechanical engineer, he retired as a liaison officer with Metro, where he had worked on plans to supply the transportation system's electrical needs.

Mr. Goldsborough was a mechanical engineering graduate of Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey and received a master's degree in public administration from Southeastern University. He was a Merchant Marine veteran of World War II. A West Virginia native, he was a mechanical engineer with Virginia Electric Power Co. in Richmond before moving to the Washington area and joining Pepco in 1954.

In recent years, he had done volunteer home hospitality work for the Meridian International Center.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Cora Lynn C. Goldsborough of McLean, and two children, Henry III and Emily Louise Goldsborough Spooner, both of Los Angeles.



Arthur D. Robbins, 71, an engineer who retired from Vitro Corp. in Silver Spring, died of cancer Oct. 23 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Robbins was born in Springfield, Mass. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic, then graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1947. He served in the Navy until 1954, then settled in the Washington area and worked for Melpar Inc. in Falls Church, where he remained until 1967. Later, he worked for Radiation Systems Inc., then joined Vitro in 1974. He retired there in 1989.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Jane W. Robbins of Rockville; five children, Katharine Robbins, Keith Robbins and Craig Robbins, all of Mount Airy, Md., Duane Robbins of Gaithersburg and Andrew Robbins of Leesburg; two sisters, Carroll Karr of Fairfax and Marcia Pelser of Vacaville, Calif.; a brother, Neil Robbins of Falls Church; and four grandchildren.



Betty Walsh Maloney, 79, who retired in 1979 after 15 years as a secretary at the National Science Foundation, died of cancer Oct. 28 at George Washington University Hospital. She had lived in Washington since 1918.

Mrs. Maloney, who retired as secretary to NSF staff administrator Vernice Anderson, was a secretary at the Federal Housing Administration from 1938 to 1944.

She was born in Aurora, Ill. She was a graduate of Sacred Heart Academy in Washington and attended Wilson Teachers College.

She was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 50 years, Philip Joseph Maloney of Washington; two children, Maureen M. Lienhard of Arlington and Philip J. Maloney Jr. of St. Petersburg, Fla.; a brother, Dr. James C. Walsh of West Palm Beach, Fla.; and two grandchildren.


Court Clerk

Frederick R. Hanlon, 75, former deputy clerk of the Military Court of Appeals in Washington, died Oct. 24 at his home in Ocala, Fla., of complications related to asthma.

Mr. Hanlon was born in Malden, Mass. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II. He graduated from Georgetown University and Georgetown University Law School.

After the war, Mr. Hanlon settled in the Washington area and in 1946 began working at the Military Court of Appeals. He retired in 1975 and moved to Ocala.

Survivors include a brother, Daniel Hanlon of Clearwater, Fla.


Legal Secretary

Myrtle Krebs Talkes, 76, a secretary for the law firm of Miller, Shrader and Bankson in the 1960s and 1970s, died of cancer Oct. 27 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Talkes was a native of Washington and a graduate of McKinley Technical High School.

She was a member of Concord-St. Andrews Methodist Church in Bethesda and Manor Country Club.

Her husband, Walter Noble Talkes, died in 1985. Survivors include a son, Stephen Talkes of Mount Airy, Md., and two grandchildren.