Robert V. Roosa, 75, who served as undersecretary of the Treasury for monetary affairs from 1961 to 1964, died Dec. 23 at a hospital in Port Chester, N.Y. He had cancer.

Mr. Roosa, who had homes in Harrison, N.Y., New York City and Charlestown, R.I., retired in 1991 as a general partner in the New York private investment banking firm of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. He had joined Brown Brothers in 1965.

Arthur Schlesinger, in "A Thousand Days," his Pulitzer Prize-winning history of the Kennedy administration, tells how Mr. Roosa came to join the administration in its early days.

He wrote that prominent business executives and economists, including Paul Samuelson, to whom Kennedy was talking about senior Treasury appointments, kept putting forth the name Robert V. Roosa, whom Schlesinger called "a brilliant young economist from the New York Federal Reserve Bank."

Kennedy, then president-elect, had never heard of Mr. Roosa. With some exasperation, he remarked to Samuelson that since the top job at Treasury was still vacant and Mr. Roosa's name kept cropping up, "why don't we give him the top job?"

Samuelson replied, "You can't do that. He is too young." Schlesinger wrote that Kennedy was vastly entertained by the reply, as Mr. Roosa was only a year younger than the incoming president.

Mr. Roosa took a post whose duties were as arcane to many as they were important to the nation. As undersecretary, he was largely responsible for such items as managing the national debt, dealing with many foreign and international financial institutions, setting interest rates on various Treasury offerings and trying to stem the flow of gold and dollars to the rest of the world.

When he resigned from the Treasury to enter private banking, a Post editorial, on Jan. 2, 1965, said he had "demonstrated that brilliance, perseverance and diplomatic tact can triumph over the most formidable difficulties in international finance." It went on to say that when he took office, "the dollar was under severe pressure in the exchange markets and foreign confidences in the ability of this government to manage its external economic affairs was low. The restoration of confidence and the reassertion of United States initiative in international monetary affairs are in large part due to his efforts."

Mr. Roosa, was born in Marquette, Mich., and grew up in River Rouge, Mich. He was a 1939 Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Michigan, where he also received a master's degree and a doctorate in economics. He served in the Army and the Office of Strategic Services in Europe during World War II. He worked for the Federal Reserve from 1946 to 1960, spending the last four years as its vice president for research.

After leaving the government, he served on the boards of such corporations as American Express, Anaconda, Owens-Corning Fiberglas, Texaco and Prudential Insurance.

Mr. Roosa also had been chairman and trustee of the Brookings Institution, a member of the board of the Council on Foreign Relations and a trustee of the Rockefeller Foundation. He had been chairman of the New York Stock Exchange's international capital markets advisory committee and a member of the Cosmos Club.

His wife of 47 years, the former Ruth Grace Amende, died in October. Survivors include two daughters, Meredith Ann Inderfurth of Arlington and Alison Ruth Cluff of Stevensville, Mont., and five grandchildren.


Arms Historian

Edward C. Ezell, 54, a historian in military small arms and supervisory curator of the Armed Forces History and Medical Sciences division at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History, died of renal cell cancer Dec. 23 at his home in Woodbridge.

Dr. Ezell was the author of five books on small arms and edited the 11th and 12th editions of "Small Arms of the World: A Basic Manual of Small Arms." He had written more than three dozen articles on contemporary small arms and defense issues for such publications as International Defense Review and National Defense.

For an oral history project under the auspices of the Smithsonian's video history program, he did a series of video recordings with M.T. Kalashnikov, designer of the AK-47 assault rifle, and Eugene Stoner, designer of the M-16 assault rifle.

Dr. Ezell was born in Indianapolis, and he graduated from Butler University magna cum laude. He received a master's degree in American industrial history from the University of Delaware and a doctorate in the history of technology from what was then the Case Institute of Technology in Cleveland.

He taught at North Carolina State University and at Sangamon State University in Illinois. From 1972 to 1974, he was in Singapore as vice president in charge of small arms operations for Interarms Asia, an armaments dealership.

In 1974, he came to this area as a historian for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He was coauthor of two space project histories, one on the Apollo-Soyuz mission and another on Mars explorations. He joined the staff at the Smithsonian Institution in 1982.

His exhibits at the Smithsonian included "M*A*S*H: Binding the Wounds," "A More Perfect Union: Japanese Americans and the United States Constitution," "Airborne: The First Fifty Years," "Personal Legacy: The Healing of a Nation" and "World War II GI: The American Soldier Experience."

Since 1989, Dr. Ezell also had been a director of the nonprofit Institute for Research on Small Arms in International Security in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia Hart Ezell of Woodbridge.


Engineer and Homemaker

Bernard I. Wade, 43, an engineer and native Washingtonian, and his wife, Sun Hwan Park Wade, 41, were killed in a West Virginia traffic accident Dec. 21.

A spokesman for the West Virginia State Police said Mrs. Wade lost control of their van in slippery conditions on U.S. Route 19 about 10 miles north of Summersville, W.Va. The van skidded into the lane of oncoming traffic, where it was struck broadside.

Mr. Wade graduated from Good Counsel High School in Wheaton and Lehigh University. He worked for Bechtel Engineering in Gaithersburg from 1972 to 1976, then moved to Richmond, where he worked for Gilbert Associates engineering. At his death, he was living in Aiken, S.C., where since 1986 he had worked for Westinghouse on the Savannah River power plant. Earlier, he had worked for Westinghouse in the Philippines and Korea.

He played racketball, tennis and golf, and he had traveled in Europe by bicycle.

Mrs. Wade was a native of Korea. They met and married when he was assigned there, and she came to the United States with him in 1986. She had participated in child-care activities in Aiken.

Survivors include their two children, Jessica and Richard Wade of Aiken. Mr. Wade's survivors also include a sister, Judy Jordan of Potomac. Mrs. Wade's survivors also include her mother and five sisters, all of Korea.



Joyce M. Cox, 66, a sales consultant and former editor, died of cancer Dec. 22 at her home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Cox was born in New Haven, Conn., and graduated from Marymount College in Tarrytown, N.Y. During the 1950s she was an editor in New York, then helped her husband, Charles A. Cox, establish and operate a sales consulting firm, Cox Enterprises. He died in 1977 and she continued to operate the business.

In 1986 she came to this area. She continued to do consulting work out of her home until 1990.

Survivors include one son, Charles L. Cox of Washington; and one brother, Dr. Edward A. Miller Jr. of Alexandria.



Bishop James D. Williams, 71, a clergyman who was founder and pastor of Washington churches, died of prostate cancer Dec. 20 at his home in Washington.

For the last two years, Bishop Williams had been pastor of the Church of the Living God. In 1971, he had founded Saint Delight Holiness Church, where he also served as pastor. He had also served as pastor of True Holiness Church and the Edon Community Baptist Church.

A native of Nash County, N.C., Bishop Williams moved to Washington at the age of 19. During World War II he served in the Army in the Pacific.

He received his clerical training at Bible Way Church in Washington, where he was president of the Radio Broadcasting Choir. He also sang with the Gospel Humming Birds there.

He had worked for Fitzgerald & Sons construction and later had his own building contracting business, which specialized in renovation and construction of homes and churches. From 1978 until 1992, he operated Juliana's Hats, a shop in Washington, with his wife, Juliana O. Williams.

His first marriage, to Ophelia Williams, ended in divorce.

In addition to his wife, of Washington, survivors include a daughter, Joan Lee of Oxon Hill; a daughter from his first marriage, Pongie Murphy of Landover; a stepson, Kenneth Eversleigh of Greenbelt; a brother, Bishop George W. Williams of Washington; three sisters, Queen E. Woodward of Washington, Connie Bridges of Baltimore, and Teora West of Battlesboro, N.C.; nine grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Telecommunications Consultant

Herbert Schnipper, 67, a retired telecommunications consultant and a former systems engineer and project manager at International Business Machines Corp., died Dec. 21 at his home in Bethesda after a heart attack.

Mr. Schnipper joined IBM in 1960, and worked for the company in New York state and Atlanta, in addition to Washington, Bethesda, and Gaithersburg. He worked here from 1961 to 1972, and again from 1974 to 1978.

He then became an executive with Satellite Business Systems in McLean, where he worked until 1986. He was a telecommunications consultant with the Planning Research Corp. in McLean from 1986 until retiring in 1989.

Mr. Schnipper, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native, served with the Army in Europe during World War II. He was a 1949 foreign affairs graduate of George Washington University and received a master's degree in history from the University of Michigan. He was a civilian intelligence officer for the Army and then the Air Force, in Washington and Europe, during the 1950s.

He was a past president of the Carderock Springs Swim and Tennis Club, where an award was named in his honor earlier this year. He was a charter member of the Sporting Club in McLean and had been a Bethesda Cub Scout troop leader. He was a member of the YMCA tennis league and the Phi Eta Sigma honor society.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, the former Barbara Ann Clark, of Bethesda; and three children, Harry Schnipper of Washington, Margaret Schnipper of New York, and Nina Schnipper of Newark, Del. DEATHS


Film Director

Alexander "Sandy" Mackendrick, 81, director of such classic British comedies as "The Man in the White Suit" and "The Ladykillers" and the American drama "Sweet Smell of Success," and who was film school dean at the California Institute of the Arts from 1969 to 1978, died of pneumonia Dec. 22 at a hospital in Los Angeles.

With his directing debut in "Whisky Galore" in 1949, he established himself as a player in classic British comedy. Alec Guinness starred in "The Man in the White Suit" in 1951 and "The Ladykillers" four years later. The latter also featured Peter Sellers in his first starring role.

In 1955, Mr. Mackendrick came to this country. His 1956 film, "Sweet Smell of Success," starred Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. Mr. Mackendrick's other film credits included "A Boy 10 Feet Tall," "A High Wind in Jamaica," "Don't Make Waves" and "Mandy."


Comic Strip Creator

Zack Mosley, 87, who mixed humor with aviation adventures for four decades in his "Smilin' Jack" comic strip, died Dec. 21 at a hospital in Stuart, Fla., after a heart attack.

The strip, which was launched as "On the Wing" in October 1933, acquired the name "Smilin' Jack" several months later. The strip was inspired by a mail plane that flew over Mr. Mosley's Oklahoma boyhood home.

The strip, which was syndicated through the Chicago Tribune, drew its most faithful followers from the generations spanning World War I and World War II. "Smilin' Jack" appeared in more than 300 newspapers until 1973.