Eugene J. Lipman, 74, rabbi emeritus of Temple Sinai in Washington and a founder and past president of the Washington Interfaith Conference, died of brain cancer Jan. 14 at Bethesda Rehabilitation and Nursing Center.

Rabbi Lipman was also a civil rights activist and past president of the National Capital Area chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. He also had been a teacher and author of four books and more than 75 papers and articles in the field of Judaism. He was a past president of the Washington Board of Rabbis, a national leader in Reform Judaism and former director of its Commission on Social Action.

He was rabbi at Temple Sinai from 1961 until retiring in 1987. In retirement, he became a farmer and grew vegetables on a 1 1/4-acre plot of land in Dickerson, Md., for use at home and at shelter facilities in Washington.

A resident of Chevy Chase, Rabbi Lipman was born in Pittsburgh. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati and was ordained into the rabbinate at Hebrew Union College. He served one year as rabbi at a congregation in Fort Worth, then served as an Army chaplain in Europe during World War II.

After the war, he remained in Europe for three years helping to relocate Holocaust survivors to Palestine and the United States.

In 1948, he returned to the United States, served as director of the Hillel Foundation at the University of Washington in Seattle, then joined the staff of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations in New York, where he was director of synagogue activities and the commission on social action.

During his years at Temple Sinai, Rabbi Lipman participated in several civil rights demonstrations, including marches in Selma, Ala., and St. Augustine, Fla., where in 1964 he was jailed with 16 other rabbis. They spent their time in the jail cell praying and studying the Torah. Rabbi Lipman later described the incarceration as "one of the more significant religious experiences I've had in my lifetime."

As Temple Sinai's rabbi, he was known as a forceful and energetic spiritual leader who believed that a synagogue should be a place for the exchange of ideas. He was criticized within his congregation and in the Jewish community at large for permitting the use of the synagogue's social hall for a forum for the Palestinian mayors of two West Bank towns and later for an appearance by the controversial Rabbi Meir Kahane.

"We really believe in lending the hall to people we don't agree with," Rabbi Lipman said.

As a teacher, Rabbi Lipman's work included tutoring individuals in the basics of Judaism and leading classes in religion and Jewish studies at American and Catholic universities. His books included "Justice and Judaism: The Work of Social Action," "A Tale of Ten Cities," "The Mishnah: Oral Teachings of Judaism" and "Yamim Nora'im: Sinai Sermons." He had contributed chapters to 13 other books.

He was past president of the Central Conference of American Rabbis and a member of the executive committee of the Jewish Community Council and the Jewish Community Center. He was a member of Kibbutz Givat Haim of the American Reform Zionist Association and the U.S. Interreligious Committee for Peace in the Middle East.

In recent years, Rabbi Lipman had served on the board of Temple Sinai Assisted Housing Foundation, which raised funds for four housing units for homeless families in the Washington area.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Esther Marcuson Lipman of Pittsburgh; two sons, Jonathan Lipman of Northampton, Mass., and Rabbi David Lipman of Pelham, N.Y.; two sisters, Reva Schwartz of Camden, N.J., and Geraldine Silverman of Pittsburgh; and four grandchildren. A son, Michael Lipman, died in 1971.


Aide to Sen. Javits

Allen Lesser, 86, a former executive assistant to the late Sen. Jacob Javits (R-N.Y.) and a retired official of the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, died of a heart attack Jan. 12 at Miami International Airport. A resident of Washington, he was changing planes en route to Venezuela when stricken.

Mr. Lesser worked for Javits from 1960 to 1965. In that period, he participated in the drafting of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and legislation that established Medicare and the National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities.

Later he served in the Office of Civil Rights, where he helped supervise desegregation of Southern universities and public schools. He retired from HEW's Office of Education in 1974.

Mr. Lesser was born and raised in New York. During World War II, he directed the European Intelligence section of the Office of War Information there.

In 1953, he moved to the Washington area and worked as a public relations official for the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith. In 1957, he was co-founder and the first editor of the Near East Report, a weekly newsletter.

He was a member of Congregation Beth El of Montgomery County in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Frances H. Lesser of Washington; two sons, Lawrence M. Lesser of Rockville and Howard M. Lesser of Bethesda; a brother, Dr. Arthur J. Lesser of Washington; and four grandchildren.


Air Force Officer

John Wesley Sherwood Jr., 71, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and computer systems analyst, died of complications of strokes Jan. 10 at a retirement home in Richmond.

A native of Washington, he lived in the area as a child and off and on from 1960 to 1986, when he moved from Fairfax to Charlottesville, Va.

Col. Sherwood retired from the Air Force in 1969, after 24 years of service, as a faculty adviser to the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk. He was an aviator early in his career and a weapon systems and operations analyst in later years.

His overseas assignments included Guam, Germany and Vietnam during the Vietnam War.

In the United States, his posts included a tour from 1960 to 1965 at Air Force headquarters in Washington.

After he retired, Col. Sherwood was an independent consultant and a senior systems analyst for TES Data Inc., Coopers & Lybrand and Computer Data Systems.

Col. Sherwood was an engineering graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He had a second bachelor's degree in business from the Air Force Institute of Technology and a master's degree in computer science from Stanford University.

His military decorations included a Bronze Star and two Air Force Commendation Medals.

He was a member of the Retired Officers Association and St. Albans Episcopal Church in Annandale.

His wife, Patricia Babcock Sherwood, died in 1986.

Survivors include a son, John W. Sherwood III of Richmond; a sister, Susan S. Wood of Carmel, Calif.; a brother, retired Marine Corps Lt. Col. James M. Sherwood of Schenectady, N.Y.; and three grandchildren.


Air Force Major

Bernard M. Raftery, 76, a retired Air Force major and decorated World War II veteran who became an analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Jan. 8 at Stella Maris Hospice in Towson.

A resident of District Heights, Mr. Raftery was born in East Providence, R.I. He began his military career in the Army in 1941. He was commissioned through Officer Candidate School and was trained as a navigator in the Army Air Forces.

He was assigned to a B-17 (Flying Fortress) heavy bomber crew based in North Africa and Italy, and flew 40 missions in combat. On one occasion, he parachuted over enemy-held territory in Greece but returned to allied lines with the help of the underground.

After the war, Maj. Raftery remained in the military. He transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947 and served in West Germany and at various bases in the United States. He retired in 1964.

In 1965, he moved to the Washington area and went to work for the Defense Intelligence Agency. He retired in 1988.

Maj. Raftery's military decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart and the Air Medal.

He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Andrews Air Force Base Officers Club, the Knights of Columbus and the parish of Mount Calvary Catholic Church in Forestville.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Annetrude Raftery of District Heights; three children, Andrew Raftery of Providence, R.I., Bernard Raftery of Natick, Mass., and Terrence Raftery of Arlington; and two sisters, Margaret Raftery and Mary Rhoades, both of Providence.



Lillis Raphael "Doc" Wempe, 84, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and veterinarian, died Jan. 4 at Fairfax Hospital of injuries received earlier that day in a pedestrian traffic accident. Fairfax police said he was crossing Leesburg Pike in Falls Church near Glen Carlyn Road when he was struck by an automobile.

Dr. Wempe, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Seneca, Kan. He received a veterinary degree from Kansas State University. Before World War II, he worked in Oklahoma, Virginia and Florida in a Department of Agriculture unit that tested cattle for disease.

He joined the Army in 1941, then transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947. He served in Bermuda, Massachusetts, South Carolina and England, and his duties included meat inspection and other health-related matters. He retired in 1961.

On retiring from the Air Force, Dr. Wempe practiced veterinary medicine until moving to the Washington area in 1969.

He was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Falls Church, the Knights of Columbus, the Joy of the Lord prayer group and the St. Thomas More Fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order.

Survivors include his wife, Hazel M. Wempe of Sumter, S.C.; two sons, Jerry Robert Wempe of Seneca, S.C., and Ralph Edward Wempe of Bossier City, La.; two brothers, Charles M. Wempe of York, Neb., and Thomas Wempe of Topeka, Kan.; four sisters, Odelia Paxson of Greenville, S.C., Gladys Buser of Seneca, Kan., Sister Borgia of Denver and Dorothy Wempe of Kansas City, Mo.; and six granddaughters.


Systems Engineer

Charles H.L. Trimble, 59, a systems engineer with Sperry Unisys Corp. in McLean, died of lung cancer Jan. 10 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Trimble, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Rankin, Ill. He served in the Air Force during the Korean War.

He moved to the Washington area in the 1950s, and he worked as a barber in Alexandria before joining Sperry Unisys in the early 1970s.

He was a member of Glebe Masonic lodge in Arlington and the Legion of Honor at the Kena Temple of the Shrine in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Gwinn Trimble of Falls Church; two sons, Melvin L. Trimble of Durham, N.C., and Jeffrey C. Trimble of Sterling, Va.; two sisters, Nell Fink of Lafayette, Ind., and Betty Jane Smith of West Lafayette, Ind.; and three grandchildren.


Auto Parts Manager

Marshall Duryea Deahl, 74, retired parts manager at Bob Peck Chevrolet in Arlington, died Jan. 11 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Deahl, who lived in Arlington, was born in Barcelona. He came to the United States as an infant and lived in Florida and California before moving to the Washington area in 1949.

He worked in the parts department of a Buick dealership in Washington until 1957, when he joined the staff of Bob Peck Chevrolet. He retired in 1989.

Survivors include his wife, Iris Deahl of Arlington; three sons, Christopher Deahl of Washington, Maine, and Gregory and Martin Deahl, both of Arlington; and a grandchild.


Electronics Technician

Theodore Randolph Moran, 65, an electronics technician and field engineer who retired from the Bendix Corp. eight years ago, died Jan. 8 at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore after a heart attack.

Mr. Moran, who lived in Ellicott City, was born in the Bronx, N.Y. He attended New York University and graduated from the University of Maryland. He served in the Air Force during the late 1940s and early 1950s.

In 1974 he settled in the Washington area after having worked for Bendix in Honolulu, Nigeria, Bermuda and the Philippines.

He worked on Bendix projects at Goddard Space Flight Center.

On retiring, he spent a year in Saudi Arabia working for Science Applications International Corp.

Survivors include his wife, Fannie "Wookie" Moran of Ellicott City; two children, Dr. Dolores Raglin of Columbus, Ohio, and Theodore R. Moran III of New York; and a brother, Melvin Moran of Mount Vernon, N.Y.


Garden Club President

Elizabeth Bradley "Ebie" Stull, 83, a past president of the Garden Club of Fairfax and a founder of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, a women's club in Burke, died of cancer Jan. 12 at the home of her son in McLean.

A longtime resident of Burke, Mrs. Stull was born on a farm near Front Royal, Va. As a young woman, she spent a year as a teacher in Prince William County.

In 1933, she married Paul C. Kincheloe, and from 1942 to 1963, they operated a dairy farm at Greenfield, their property in Burke. Mr. Kincheloe died in 1969. In 1975, she married C. Meade Stull. He died in 1979.

Mrs. Stull was a member of the Garden Club of Virginia, the Potomac Rose Society and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. In 1993, the Garden Club of Fairfax dedicated a garden in her honor on the campus of George Mason University.

Mrs. Stull was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Burke.

Survivors include a son from her first marriage, Paul C. Kincheloe Jr. of McLean; a brother, James Bradley of El Paso; and three grandchildren.


Tobacco Broker

Francis Jameson "Jimmie" Schultz, 70, a partner since the mid-1950s in the Farmers Tobacco Warehouse in Hughesville, died of a ruptured aorta Jan. 12 at Physicians Memorial Hospital in La Plata. He lived in La Plata.

Mr. Schultz was born in Hughesville. He was a graduate of Hughesville High School. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

Mr. Schultz was a salesman for Edelen Brothers Tobacco Warehouse in La Plata after the war.

He served on the Maryland State Tobacco Authority and was a past commander of the American Legion post in La Plata. He was a director of the Bank of Southern Maryland and the Domestic Tobacco Co. and a member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in La Plata, the Knights of Columbus, the Charles County Farm Bureau and the Hawthorne Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Elizabeth Greer Schultz of Hughesville; a daughter, Jane Collins of La Plata; and two sisters, Elizabeth S. "Ola" Council of California, Md., and Elsie Dent of Temple Hills.


Budget Officer, Volunteer

Dorothy E. Towns, 84, a retired Department of Agriculture budget officer who later did volunteer work, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 13 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Towns, who lived in Washington, was born in Boston. In 1934, she moved to the Washington area and began working for the Department of Agriculture. She retired in 1968.

She was a volunteer driver for the Red Cross for 40 years, beginning in 1941, and she was a driver for Meals on Wheels.

She was a golfer and a member of Bethesda Country Club.

Survivors include a sister, Marion Towns of Washington.


Logistics Manager

James A. Davies, 45, a logistics manager with the fleet management division of the Prince George's County government, died of cancer Jan. 11 at his home in Forest Heights.

Mr. Davis had worked for the county since 1977. He began as a supply clerk in the surplus property branch and later worked for the highway maintenance department. He was a manager of the fixed assets section in the central services division before joining the division that maintains government vehicles.

He was born in Washington and lived in Egypt and Greece as a child while his father worked for the U.S. Information Service.

Mr. Davis attended William Penn College in Iowa and the Computer Learning Center. He served in the Army in Vietnam during the war there.

He worked for Public Finance, a collection agency, and Hillcrest Sales, a delivery company, after the war.

He was a member of St. Ignatius Catholic Church in Oxon Hill.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Judith Pilger Davies of Forest Heights; his mother, Lillian Davies of Annandale; two sisters, Megan Droegemeyer of Bowie and Nancy Davies of Annandale; and a brother, Mark Davies of Herndon.

His two sons predeceased him, Johnny Davies in 1975 and Jeff Davies in 1992.


AID Project Manager

Arthur H. Pursell, 83, a retired project manager with the Agency for International Development, died of a heart attack Dec. 29 at a hospital in Hanover, Pa. A resident of Washington off and on, he moved to New Oxford, Pa., in 1984.

Mr. Pursell retired in 1974 after 12 years with AID as a cooperative finance and credit specialist, working on development of farm cooperatives abroad. After he retired, he was a consultant to the World Bank.

Mr. Pursell was a native of Jonesboro, Tenn., and a graduate of Bridgewater College. He was a clerk-typist with the FBI before World War II and was a personnel officer with the Office of Defense Transportation during the war.

He continued in personnel work in Illinois after the war, and in the early 1950s was managing director of the Tennessee Credit Union League in Chatanooga, Tenn. He was an economist with the Agriculture Department from 1956 to 1962.

Mr. Pursell was a member of Washington City Church of the Bretheren in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Marguerite Pursell of New Oxford; and two sisters, Jessie Lovo of Aberdeen, S.D., and Vella Mae Bacon of Johnson City, Tenn.



Josephine Dodson Price-Bungie, 71, a former Washington preschool director who later taught at Howard University, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 12 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mrs. Price-Bungie was a lifelong resident of Washington. She graduated from Miner Teachers College and recieved a master's degree in early childhood education from Howard University.

In the late 1940s, she founded Tiny Town Nursery and Preschool in Washington, and she served as its director into the 1950s.

She was a lecturer and teacher at Howard from the late 1950s until she retired in the 1980s.

Mrs. Price-Bungie also helped organize the Head Start program in Washington, and she worked on the team that helped organize and implement day-care programs in Washington.

She was a member of the Association of Independent Day Care Centers and the National Association for the Education of Young Children.

Her marriage to Nathaniel Price ended in divorce. Her second husband, William Bungie, died in 1988.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Joanne Walker of Rochester, N.Y.; a sister, Anne D. Hall of Minneapolis; and two grandchildren.