The March 18 obituary of Marion C. Smith McKay had the wrong date of death. She died on March 10. Also, the name of her husband and daughter were incorrect. They are William Joseph McKay and Theresa McKay Schmidt Wagner. (Published 3/23/94)

Lewis W. Shollenberger, 77, a television correspondent, director and producer for CBS and ABC in Washington who became executive director of Radio Liberty in Munich, died March 15 at the Meadow Lake Health Center in Hightstown, N.J. He had Alzheimer's disease.

In 1966, after three years in Munich, Mr. Shollenberger returned to Washington as director of the information office of the Small Business Administration. In 1971, he was named vice president and manager of the Washington office of the Advertising Council Inc. He retired from that job in 1980.

A native of Kansas City, Mo., Mr. Shollenberger had lived in Hightstown. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University. He moved to Washington in 1939 and went to work for United Press, a forerunner of United Press International.

He joined CBS in Washington in 1942. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic. Afterward, he returned to CBS. He covered the White House and later was a director and producer of special projects. From 1961 to 1963, he worked for ABC.

Mr. Shollenberger coordinated network coverage of a number of events such as presidential news conferences and the first debate between John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon in the 1960 presidential campaign.

In 1963, he was named executive director of Radio Liberty.

Mr. Shollenberger was a former governor of the National Press Club, a founder of the C&O Canal Hikers Association and a member of the National Presbyterian Church. He moved to Hightstown in 1991.

His wife of 52 years, the former Florence Long, died in 1991. A son, Lewis W. Shollenberger Jr., died in 1986.

Survivors include a daughter, Carol Del Grosso of Old Bethpage, N.Y.; a brother, Joseph H. Shollenberger of Pinehurst, N.C.; and two grandchildren.



Barbara N. Bassett, 70, a former translator and researcher, died of lung cancer March 15 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. A resident of Alexandria, she had lived in the Washington area off and on since the 1950s.

Mrs. Bassett was a translator for the Central Intelligence Agency in the 1950s and a researcher for Avco Corp. in the 1960s.

She was born in Chattanooga, Tenn., and attended Columbia University.

Mrs. Bassett accompanied her first husband, Donald F.B. Jameson, to CIA posts in Germany and Spain during the 1950s. Her first marriage ended in divorce.

Mrs. Bassett was a reader for the blind under the auspices of the Reading Society for the Visually Handicapped.

Survivors include her husband, Ormon Bassett of Alexandria; a son of her first marriage, Jeremy Jameson of Houston; three stepdaughters, Susan Bassett of Baltimore, Deborah Bassett of Wallingford, Conn., and Elizabeth Carter of Boston; a sister, Phoebe Nixon of Santa Barbara, Calif., and five grandchildren.



William Van Arsdel, 73, a pharmacologist with the Food and Drug Administration, died of arteriosclerosis and cardiac arrest March 14 at his home in Washington.

Dr. Van Arsdel was born in Indianapolis. He graduated from Butler University and earned master's degrees in zoology and pharmacology at Oregon State University, where he also received a doctorate in physiology and zoology.

He did experimental research on beef cattle in Oregon before moving to this area and joining the staff of the FDA in 1963. He continued working at the agency's Center for Drugs and Biologics until his death.

Dr. Van Arsdel was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine and Toastmasters International.

Survivors include his mother, Mabel Van Arsdel of Fortville, Ind.; and three brothers, John Van Arsdel of Scottsdale, Ariz., Thomas Van Arsdel of Fortville and Eugene Van Arsdel of Las Vegas.


Army Colonel

Edwin Richard Levine, 60, a retired Army colonel who served two tours of duty in Vietnam and also was a veteran of the Korean War, died of pneumonia March 15 at Fairfax Hospital. He had heart ailments.

Col. Levine, a Springfield resident who had lived in the Washington area since 1968, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from the University of Omaha.

He began his Army career in 1952 as an enlisted man and was commissioned through Officer Candidate School. He was a graduate of the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Col. Levine served in Korea and Vietnam as an infantry officer. He also served in France. His assignments in the United States included a tour of duty at the Defense Systems Management School at Fort Belvoir, and he was inspector general of the Criminal Investigation Division when he retired in 1984.

His personal military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Legion of Merit and the Combat Infantryman's Badge.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Constance Levine of Springfield; two children, Laurie A. Shoemaker of Springfield and Ruth K. Mulkerin of Reston; a brother, Howard Levine of Santa Barbara, Calif., and a grandson.


Advertising Supervisor

Thomas Andrew Keller, 31, a former advertising accounts supervisor, died March 15 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had AIDS.

Mr. Keller, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Jacksonville, Fla. He grew up in Florida, the Dominican Republic, Rhode Island, California and Japan, where his father was assigned for the Navy, and he moved to this area in 1969.

In 1981 he graduated from Bethesda's Walter Johnson High School, where he played oboe in the orchestra and was a varsity swimmer.

He graduated from the University of Maryland in 1986. While in college he worked in the finance department of the Republican National Committee.

After college, Mr. Keller was a media planner with the Earle Palmer Brown Companies in Bethesda and then director of media placement with Smith & Haroff Inc. in Alexandria. In 1989 he moved to Atlanta where he was an accounts supervisor with Atlanta Magazine.

In 1992 Mr. Keller retired on disability. He returned to this area in 1993.

Survivors include his parents, Retired Navy Capt. Harry S. Keller Jr. and Mary Jane Dempsey Keller of Bethesda; a sister, Margaret Keller of St. Petersburg, Fla.; two brothers, Richard Keller of Takoma Park and James Keller of Starkville, Miss.; and his grandfather, Harry S. Keller Sr. of New Preston, Conn.


Furniture Refinisher

William Andrew Harrell, 40, a self-employed furniture refinisher who also was a waiter, died March 13 at the Curtis L. White House, a hospice funded by the Whitman-Walker Clinic in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Harrell was born in Tarboro, N.C. He moved to Washington in 1981 and lived in the city until his death.

Survivors include his mother, Edna Webb, and a brother, Donald Harrell, both of Tarboro.



Marion C. Smith McKay, 72, a former nurse who had lived in Arlington since 1960, died of emphysema March 30 at a hospital in Malaga, Spain, while on vacation.

Mrs. McKay worked between 1960 and 1971 at Northern Virginia Doctors and Circle Terrace hospitals. She served in the Army as a nurse in Europe during World War II.

Mrs. McKay was a native of Chambersburg, Pa., and a graduate of St. Joseph's Hospital School of Nursing in Philadelphia.

She was a member of St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include her husband, William Joseph McKay Jr. of Arlington; five children, Mary Anne McKay of Alexandria, Theresa Lynn McKay of Indianapolis, Christine McKay Clejan of Medford, Mass., William Joseph McKay Jr. of Fredericksburg, Va., and Michael Smith McKay of Centreville; two sisters, Carolyn Smith Shuler of Mechanicsburg, Pa., and Jean Smith Flowers of Venice, Fla.; a brother, Francis W. Smith of Media, Pa., and seven grandchildren.


Bell Atlantic Employee

Neita Kline, 79, a retired business representative with Bell Atlantic who later managed the Carillon House apartments in Northwest Washington, died of sepsis March 6 at the Vallhaven Care Center in Neenah, Wis.

Mrs. Kline was born in Oshkosh, Wis. She served in the Women's Army Corps in World War II and was stationed in Washington.

She remained in Washington after the war and went to work for Bell Atlantic in 1947. She retired in 1975 and then managed Carillon House until 1990. She moved to Wisconsin in 1991.

Mrs. Kline was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Her husband, Thomas Kline, died about 1960.

Survivors include four brothers, Robert Nickel of Milwaukee, Charles Nickel of Phoenix, Phil Nickel of Tucson and George Nickel of Neenah; and a sister, Norma Jensen of Winneconne, Wis.


D.C. Teacher

Sandra Inez Cunningham, 48, a retired music teacher at Lafayette Elementary School in Washington and a member of Evelyn White Chamber Singers, died March 12 at St. Joseph Hospital in Tampa, Fla. She had AIDS.

Mrs. Cunningham was born in Washington and lived in the city until moving to Tampa last year. She graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Howard University, where she majored in music.

She was a substitute teacher and a public relations aide in a program for handicapped children before being appointed a teacher in the D.C. public school system in 1982. She retired in 1993 for reasons of health.

Mrs. Cunningham was a member of St. George's Episcopal Church in Washington and the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.

Her husband, George Cunningham, died in 1982.

Survivors include a brother, Julius E. James of Tampa.



Jorge Aguayo, 90, who retired in 1973 as director of the Columbus Memorial Library at the Organization of American States, died of a heart ailment March 11 at George Washington University Hospital. He had lived in Washington since 1962.

Mr. Aguayo worked for the OAS for 11 years. He came to this country to live in 1960, when he took a job as a bibliographer at the Syracuse University library.

Mr. Aguayo was a law graduate of the University of Havana in his native Cuba. He did graduate work in library science at Columbia University.

He was formerly assistant director of the library at the University of Havana, where he worked and taught library science from 1937 to 1959.

He was a member of the American Library Association.

His wife, Maria Hortensia Aguayo, died in 1990.

There are no immediate survivors.


Building Cleaner

Sadie Frances Dent DeVoe, 97, a retired building cleaner for the General Services Administration, died of bone cancer and pneumonia March 14 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. DeVoe, who lived in Washington, was born in Savannah, Ga. As a young woman she taught school there before moving to this area in 1917.

She worked 20 years for GSA before retiring in 1964.

She was a 50-year member of Campbell AME Church in Washington.

Her husband of 69 years, Joseph E. DeVoe, died in 1986, and a son, Joseph E. DeVoe Jr., died in 1934.

Survivors include three children, Elizabeth Young, Edith DeVoe and Sadie McNair, all of Washington; four grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren.