The obituary of Louis H. Bean which appeared in The Post Aug. 6 incorrectly reported the date of his death. He died Aug. 5. (Published 8/7/94)

Louis H. Bean, 98, a retired agriculture economist and political analyst who gained fame in 1948 after predicting that underdog candidate Harry S. Truman would retain the presidency, died of congestive heart failure July 5 at his home in Arlington.

He came to Washington in 1923 as an Agriculture Department economic analyst and forecaster. He served on the department's statistical staff until 1933, when Secretary of Agriculture Henry Wallace made Mr. Bean his chief economic adviser.

During World War II, Mr. Bean served with the Board of Economic Warfare and was chief fiscal analyst of the Budget Bureau. He returned to Agriculture after the war, serving in the office of the secretary until leaving the government in 1953. After that, he was a writer and economic consultant until retiring in the mid-1980s.

His 1948 predictions made him a celebrity. Magazines and newspapers (including The Post) sought his views on elections through the 1970s. His gift as an elections pundit was something his government colleagues had been aware of for some time.

In 1936, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt was running what most observers thought was a very close race for reelection against Gov. Alf Landon (R-Kan.), Mr. Bean predicted it would be FDR by a landslide, carrying every state but Maine, Vermont and Pennsylvania. In fact, Roosevelt carried every state but Maine and Vermont.

Mr. Bean continued to use his various systems to predict elections, often with uncanny accuracy, well into the 1960s. After his 1948 presidential prediction, he also hit pay dirt with predictions on the outcome of the 1950 congressional elections.

For his predictions, he relied on formulas from various statistical indicators found in published material, more than on traditional polling techniques. "I'll lean on a poll sometimes," he told a reporter in a 1956 interview, "but usually I'm way ahead of them."

In 1962, he was one of the first to maintain that Gov. Edmund G. "Pat" Brown (D) would defeat former vice president Richard M. Nixon (R) for the California governorship. Mr. Bean was right.

He was not always right, however. In August 1952, he predicted that the president to succeed Truman would be Illinois Gov. Adlai Stevenson (D) and that he would have a Democratic Congress. But when the dust had settled, the Republicans had elected Dwight D. Eisenhower president by a landslide and controlled both houses of Congress.

Mr. Bean wrote the 1948 book "How to Predict Elections."

He had been active in the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith.

Mr. Bean, who was born in Russia, came to the United States in 1906. He grew up in New Hampshire and served in the Army during World War I. He was a graduate of the University of Rochester in New York, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's degree in business administration from Harvard University.

His wife, the former Dorothy May Wile, whom he married in 1923, died in 1991.

Survivors include a son, David, of London; a daughter, Elizabeth Fountain of Montross, Va.; a sister, Sarah Kizell of North Miami, Fla.; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


NSA Official

Solomon Kullback, 87, a retired director of research and development at the National Security Agency and a professor emeritus of statistics at George Washington University, died of pneumonia Aug. 5 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Dr. Kullback was a Silver Spring resident. He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from the City College of New York, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's degree in mathematics from Columbia University and a doctorate in mathematics from George Washington University.

In 1930, he moved to Washington and went to work for the Army Signal Corps as a cryptographer. During World War II, he served on active duty in the Army in Washington and London. After the war, he worked for the Army Security Agency. He transferred to NSA after it was established in 1952 and was director of research and development when he retired in 1962.

Dr. Kullback began teaching at GWU in 1938. When he left the government, he joined the faculty full time. From 1964 to 1972, he was chairman of the department of statistics. He then retired with the rank of professor emeritus. He was a recipient of the GWU Alumni Achievement Award.

In retirement, he was a consultant and a visiting professor at Stanford University and the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science.

Dr. Kullback's honors included the Legion of Merit from the Army and the Exceptional Service Award of the NSA. He was a fellow of he Institute of Mathematical Statistics and the American Statistical Association. He wrote three books in his field and contributed articles to professional journals. He was a member of Sigma Xi, the honorary scientific organization, and the Cosmos Club.

His first wife, Minna Kullback, died in 1967.

Survivors include his wife, Lola Witt Kullback of Silver Spring; two children from his first marriage, Joseph Henry Kullback of Gaithersburg and Sally K. Dodge of Rolla, Mo.; a brother, Albert Kullback of West Palm Beach, Fla.; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Electronics Scientist

John Phillip Kirwan, 74, an electronics scientist who retired from the Naval Research Laboratory, died July 29 at Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack.

From 1970 until 1990, Mr. Kirwan was a sales agent for Nationwide Insurance.

A resident of Oxon Hill, he was born in Cambridge, Md., and graduated from Washington College. During World War II, he served in the Navy and studied radar at Princeton University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Maryland. Later during the war, he participated in combat operations at Okinawa.

After the war, he was an electronics scientist at the Naval Research Laboratory until retiring from federal service in 1970. He wrote more than 100 papers on missile guidance and was scientific adviser to the comander of the Pacific Fleet.

He also operated tree farms and lumbering businesses on the Eastern Shore and in Greene County, Va.

He had been chairman of the board of trustees, the Finance Committee and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee at Oxon Hill United Methodist Church. He was a member of Barnaby Manor Citizens Association and the Officers Club at Bolling Air Force Base.

Survivors include his wife, Jeannette E. Kirwan of Oxon Hill; three children, John P. Kirwan Jr. of Midlothian, Va., Jeffrey L. Kirwan of Hamilton, Va., and Jennifer Kirwan Vaughan of Virginia Beach; and five grandchildren.


Civil Engineer

William E. "Bill" Hines, 81, a retired civil engineer with the Department of the Air Force and a Navy veteran who was wounded in action in World War II, died Aug. 2 at Alexandria Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Hines, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Augusta, Ga. He graduated from Villanova University.

During World War II, he served in the Navy Construction Battalion, the "Seabees," in the Pacific. He received the Purple Heart.

After the war, Mr. Hines was an engineer in Georgia. With the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, he was recalled to active duty in the Navy. He served in the United States until 1955 and then in Japan. He was stationed there when he retired from the Reserves with the rank of commander.

Mr. Hines immediately went to work for the Navy as a civilian on Okinawa. He later transferred to the Air Force on Okinawa. In 1966, he moved to the Washington area to join Air Force engineering headquarters. He retired in 1983.

Mr. Hines was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Rebecca B. Hines of Alexandria; four children, Parker B. Hines and Nancy H. Foor, both of Alexandria, Robert C. Hines of Washington and Katherine H. Matusik of Annandale; and five grandchildren.


Budget Officer

Samuel W. Roberts, 79, a retired Central Intelligence Agency budget officer, died of heart disease July 22 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Roberts was born in Nanticoke, Pa. He came to Washington in the early 1940s and worked with the Army Medical Library and the office of the Army Surgeon General before joining the staff of the CIA in 1951.

He retired in 1973 as special budget officer to the deputy director of administration. He received the agency's career intelligence medal.

He was a pianist and artist, specializing in landscapes and still-life paintings. He was a past master of the Vienna Masonic Lodge.

His marriage to Jean Roberts ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Phyllis Roberts of Falls Church; three children from his first marriage, David Roberts of Phillipsburg, Kan., Ann Gallus of Leesburg and Rick Roberts of Waterford, Va.; three stepchildren, Tom Spaulding of Sacramento, Calif., JoEllen Bunton of Falls Church and Michol Salvo of Sutter Creek, Calif.; a sister, Muriel Fine of Falls Church; and five grandchildren.


Account Executive

Margaret C. Green, 83, an account executive with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith who was one of the first female stockbrokers in Washington, died of cancer Aug. 3 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She was a lifelong resident of Washington.

Mrs. Green retired July 31 after 50 years with Merrill Lynch. She began there as a clerical assistant and was put in charge of over-the-counter trading in the early 1950s.

She was a member of Epiphany Catholic Church in Washington.

Her husband, Raymond Green, died in 1955. There are no immediate survivors.


Foreign Service Officer

Charles F. Murphy, 71, a retired Foreign Service officer who specialized in economics, died of emphysema Aug. 3 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Springfield.

Mr. Murphy, who was born in New York, graduated from Cornell University and received a master's degree in economics from Rutgers University. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

In 1952, he moved to the Washington area and joined the Foreign Service. His overseas posts included Austria, Germany,, Ethiopia and Iran. He retired six years ago.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Markey Murphy of Springfield; six children, Kate Crackel of Princeton, N.J., Ann Morrison of Falls Church, Maggie Murphy of New York, Charles F. Murphy Jr. of Herndon, Mollie Murphy of Beverly, Mass., and Nellie Murphy of Vienna; and 11 grandchildren.


Army Spouse

Doris W. Krueger, 86, who accompanied her husband to Army posts in China and France, died of respiratory arrest Aug. 5 at Arlington Hospital. A resident of Arlington, she had lived in the Washington area off and on since World War II.

Mrs. Krueger was a graduate of the Albright Art School in her native Buffalo, N.Y.

Survivors include her husband of 63 years, retired Army Col. Orrin C. Krueger of Arlington.


Contract Manager

Mary Ellen Howell, 86, an accountant who retired in 1975 as a purchasing contract manager at the General Services Administration, died of a stroke Aug. 2 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Miss Howell, a native of Dolphin, Va., received a degree in accounting from American University. Before moving to Washington in the mid-1930s, she was a public school teacher in Richmond. She worked at GSA for about 30 years.

She was treasurer of the Club of Colonial Dames and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, United Daughters of the Confederacy and Chevy Chase United Methodist Church in Chevy Chase. She was a Gray Lady at George Washington University Hospital and a volunteer with the Florence Critendon Home and the Helen Pardoe Circle.

Survivors include a brother, Julian Howell of Richmond.


Westinghouse Vice President

John Rowland Sanders, 77, retired vice president of the elevator division of Westinghouse Corp., died of heart ailments Aug. 3 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Sanders, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Los Angeles. He graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles. During World War II, he served in the Army as a radar specialist in England.

In 1958, he moved to the Washington area from New Jersey. He had worked 43 years for Westinghouse at his retirement in 1989.

He was past president of Kiwanis in Alexandria and a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church there.

Survivors include his wife, Hjordis Ann Sanders of Alexandria; three children, Peter J. Sanders of Stamford, Conn., Judy S. Campbell of Charlottesville and Penelope S. Buck of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.