Allan Fisher, 96, a founder and former director of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, died of respiratory failure Sept. 15 at Blumenthal Jewish Home in Clemmons, N.C.

Mr. Fisher was one of four men who founded the Legal Aid Society in the District in 1932. He was its executive director from 1945 until he retired in 1972. The organization provides a variety of legal services for persons otherwise unable to afford lawyers.

Mr. Fisher was born in Boston. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati and received a law degree from George Washington University and a master's degree in law from Harvard University.

His work at the Legal Aid Society included establishment of a program in which social work professionals were made available to the society's clients. In 1955, he instituted an annual fund-raising event to broaden financial support for the society's programs.

In 1992, Mr. Fisher moved from Bethesda to North Carolina.

His wife, Blanche Steerman Fisher, died in 1984.

There are no immediate survivors.



William Edward Blackmore Jr., 52, a technical illustrator and former Northern Virginia resident, died Aug. 25 at a hospital in Denver of internal injuries suffered that day in an automobile accident in Lafayette, Colo.

Lafayette police said his car was hit broadside by a tractor-trailer.

Mr. Blackmore was born in Alexandria and raised in Arlington. He was a graduate of Wakefield High School and Prince George's Community College. He served in the Army.

He worked for Mitre Corp. and Kappa Systems Inc. in the Washington area before moving from Falls Church to Boulder, Colo., in 1978 to work for Ball Aerospace.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Matteson Blackmore, and a son, Billy Blackmore, both of Boulder; his stepmother, Frances Harris of Falls Church; and a sister, Sherry Benson of Dunkirk, Md.



James Langrall, 48, an actor who was a native of Hyattsville, died Sept. 19 at the home of his sister in Hyattsville. He had AIDS.

Mr. Langrall appeared on television and the stage and in nightclubs, commercials and industrial films. He also worked as a model and writer. He acted in television soap operas that included "Dark Shadows," "The Doctors," "Love of Life." His last appearance was in "One Life to Live" in March 1993.

He played in the musical "Grease" on Broadway in 1978 and toured with the show nationally. He appeared in off-Broadway productions of "Babes in Toyland" and "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off." Among his television commercials were promotions for the Nickelodeon cable channel, Korvette's, PaineWebber stockbrokers, Lipton Soup and Closeup toothpaste.

Mr. Langrall was a graduate of Northwestern High School. He attended the University of Maryland. He sang in the choir at First United Methodist Church in Hyattsville.

Survivors include his sister, Jane Jenkins of Hyattsville.


Test Engineer

Walter Karl Myers Jr., 38, a test engineer with International Business Machines Corp. for 14 years, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 7 at his home in Burke. He had lived in the Washington area off and on since 1975.

Mr. Myers was born at Itazuke Air Force Base at Fukuoka, Japan, while his father was stationed there in the Army. He attended the University of Kansas and graduated with honors from Northeastern University, with a degree in computer engineering. He worked for IBM in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., until last year and had been taking correspondence courses in network engineering and computer programming since then.

Survivors include his parents, Army Col. Walter K. Myers and Haru Myers, both of Fairfax Station; two brothers, Kevin L. Myers of Burke and Edmund D. Myers of Falls Church; and his grandmother, Mitsuko Yuki of Fukuoka.


Hairdresser and Entertainer

Richard Wayne Matuszak, 35, an Alexandria resident who died of smoke inhalation in a fire at his home Sept. 16, was a hairdresser and entertainer whose stage name was Rachel Richards.

Alexandria fire officials said the blaze, which originated with a candle, began in a basement bedroom. Mr. Matuszak's housemate, Morris Umansky, fled after he heard the smoke alarm and was unharmed.

Mr. Matuszak had lived in the Washington area and worked at Morris Van's Hair Design in Arlington since 1982. He entertained at nightclubs and bars here, including Rascals, Mr. P's, Ziegfields, La Cage Aux Folles, Escandelis and the Blue Penquin, and had appeared elsewhere in the country. He also entertained at fund-raisers for the Whitman-Walker Clinic.

Mr. Matuszak was born in Portsmouth, Va., and raised in Virginia Beach.

Survivors include a half sister, Elizabeth A. Matuszak of Virginia Beach, and two half brothers, Robert W. Matuszak of Virginia Beach and Michael A. Matuszak of Lithonia, Ga.


Tile and Marble Setter

Paul C. Aloi Jr., 67, a tile and marble setter for about 45 years who retired in 1991 from M.X. Marble Co., died of lung cancer Sept. 20 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Takoma Park.

Mr. Aloi, a Washington native, was treasurer of Local 3 of the Marble, Tile and Terrazzo Workers and a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Silver Spring, the Takoma Park Independence Day Committee and the Takoma Park Recreation Council.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, June Aloi of Takoma Park; four children, Paul Aloi III of Bowie, Patricia Bagley of Takoma Park, Brenda Sparacino of Germantown and Teresa Taylor of Bowie; two brothers; five sisters; 13 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. A son, Robert Aloi, died in 1970.


Arlington Resident

Pauline F. Donohoe, 91, a resident of Arlington who had lived in the Washington area since 1919, died Sept. 21 at Alexandria Hospital of complications related to an abdominal infection and heart ailments.

Mrs. Donohoe was born in Boston.

She was a former national president of Alpha Zeta Beta sorority, a member of Second Church of Christ Scientist in Arlington and a former member of Belle Haven Country Club.

Survivors include her husband of 66 years, W. Oliver Donohoe of Arlington; two daughters, Jane D. Prentice of Crofton and Mary Ellen MaGill of Huntsville, Ala.; a sister, Helen Poulton of Kensington; and four grandchildren.


Quality Hotel Manager

Francis C. "Tim" Coglan, 46, the general manager of the Quality Hotel in Arlington, died Sept. 21 at Manor Care Nursing Home in Arlington of complications related to an epileptic seizure.

Mr. Coglan was born in Washington and attended Mackin High School. He graduated from St. Edward's University in Texas.

He had worked for 21 years with Manor Care Inc. and its subsidiary, Quality Hotels, and he had been assigned to the Quality Hotel in Arlington for the last 15 years. Earlier, he had worked for the company in Charleston, S.C., Waterloo, Iowa, and Portsmouth, Va. He had received the company's general manager of the year award several times.

He was active in the Arlington Chamber of Commerce and participated in efforts to promote education in the workplace.

Survivors include his mother, Helen Lee Coglan of Washington.


Company Official

Joan E. Bobrow, 70, former treasurer of Swingin' Door Inc., died of cancer Sept. 22 at her home in Rockville.

She was a native of Lima, Ohio, who moved to Washington in 1944 to serve in the Navy WAVES. She was a volunteer at Holy Cross Hospital and a member of the Service Guild and Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac.

Her marriage to restaurateur Duke Zeibert ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 27 years, Meyer Bobrow of Rockville; two children from her first marriage, Terri Sanker and Randy Zeibert, both of Potomac; three stepsons, Nathan Bobrow of Potomac, Mitchell Bobrow of Los Angeles and Jack Bobrow of Adelphi; a brother, Ray Singer of Naples, Fla.; a sister, Janet Hinders of Tucson; and seven grandchildren.



Leah G. Abel, 83, who had done volunteer work with Meals on Wheels and the Red Cross, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 21 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. Abel, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Washington and was a lifelong resident of the area. She graduated from Central High School.

She was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Her husband, Jeffrey A. Abel Sr., died in 1993.

Survivors include two sons, Jeffrey A. Abel Jr. of Vienna and Sydney A. Abel of Potomac; and four grandchildren.