Barry Chapman Bishop, 62, an explorer and mountain climber who was vice president and chairman of the committee for research and exploration of the National Geographic Society, died Sept. 24 in an auto accident near Pocatello, Idaho.

Idaho State Police said Dr. Bishop apparently lost control of the car he was driving on Interstate 86. The car rolled over several times, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dr. Bishop participated in the first American ascent of Mount Everest, reaching the summit of the world's highest peak on May 22, 1963. He had led or participated in a dozen other mountain climbing or exploration expeditions in Alaska, the Yukon Territory of Canada and the Himalayas, including parts of Bhutan.

He joined the staff of National Geographic in 1959 as a picture editor in the illustrations division and later served on National Geographic magazine's foreign editorial and photographic staffs.

"How We Climbed Everest," his account of the Mount Everest expedition, was published in National Geographic magazine in October 1963.

After scaling the 29,028-foot mountain, Dr. Bishop and his companions spent a night without a tent or other shelter at an altitude of 28,000 feet. He suffered severe frostbite and was carried piggyback down the mountain by a Nepalese Sherpa guide to a camp at 12,400 feet, then flown by helicopter to a hospital in Katmandu, Nepal. The ordeal cost him his toes and parts of two fingers.

Six weeks later, President Kennedy presented Dr. Bishop and other members of the expedition with the National Geographic Society's Hubbard Medal at a ceremony in the White House Rose Garden. Dr. Bishop gave Kennedy the U.S. flag he had carried to the summit of Everest.

At National Geographic, Dr. Bishop was the writer or photographer for nine articles in addition to the Everest story, and he researched and recommended other articles. In 1980, he became chief of the geographic liaison office, which involves relations between the scientific and academic communities. In 1984, he became vice chairman of the research and exploration committee, and in 1989, he became its chairman. The committee awards millions of dollars in grants for scientific research and exploration.

Dr. Bishop retired this year and moved from Bethesda to Bozeman, Mont., but he continued to work for National Geographic on a contract basis. At the time of his death, he was traveling with his wife, Lila Bishop, to San Francisco, where he was to have delivered a lecture with their son, Brent Bishop, who successfully climbed Mount Everest in May. The two men are the only father and son to have climbed Everest.

Lila Bishop suffered minor injuries in the auto accident.

Dr. Bishop was born in Cincinnati and began mountain climbing as a child. When he was 3, his father carried him on his back 6,684 feet to the summit of Mount Mitchell in North Carolina. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati and received a master's degree in geography from Northwestern University. From 1955 to 1958, he served in the Air Force's Antarctic Projects Office as a scientific adviser to Rear Adm. Richard E. Byrd.

He received his doctorate in geography from the University of Chicago. Research for that degree included study of the economic hierarchy of an area of Nepal. To reach that part of the world, Dr. Bishop, his wife and their two young children drove 10,000 miles in 1968 from Rotterdam across Europe and the Near East to Katmandu.

From 1992 to 1994, Dr. Bishop was Landegger distinguished professor at Georgetown University. He also had served on the faculties of Montana State and Arizona State universities and the University of Michigan.

His awards included the Explorers Club Medal, the National Geographic Society's Franklin L. Burr Prize and the William Howard Taft Medal of the University of Cincinnati.

In addition to his wife, of Bozeman, and his son, of Seattle, survivors include a daughter, Tara Bishop of Oakland.


Register of Wills

Nan Edith Hatch, 81, register of wills for Anne Arundel County from 1978 to 1985, died of cancer Sept. 26 at her home in Annapolis.

Mrs. Hatch was chief deputy register for 20 years before being elected register of wills.

She was a native of Silver Spring and a graduate of Strayer College. She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, St. Mary's Catholic Church in Annapolis and Indian Landing Boat Club in Millersville. She received an award from the American Businesswomen's Association.

Her marriage to Edward S. Hatch Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include five children, Edward S. Hatch Jr. of Towson, Md., Wheeler W. Hatch of Mount Dora, Fla., Ann Katherine Hatch of Las Cruces, N.M., John Neale Hatch of Millersville and Robert Bell Hatch of Annapolis; a brother, William B. Wheeler of Centreville, Md.; a sister, Martha Neale Heine of Cambridge, Md.; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.


Meteorologist and NSF Official

Fred D. White Jr., 75, retired director of the atmospheric research section of the National Science Foundation, died of heart ailments Sept. 22 at his vacation home in Dewey Beach, Del.

Dr. White, a resident of Arlington, retired in 1976 after 18 years at the science foundation. He had lived in the Washington area since 1946, when he joined the U.S. Weather Bureau as a meteorologist.

As a Weather Bureau senior liaison officer to the Atomic Energy Commission, he helped select sites of AEC installations. After he retired, he was a consultant until 1992 to the Environmental Protection Agency, National Academy of Science and National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration.

Dr. White was born in Charleroi, Pa., and raised in Piqua, Ohio. An avid tennis player, he won the 1936 Ohio State Doubles Championship. He graduated from Miami University in Ohio, lectured in physics while doing graduate work at the University of Chicago and received a doctorate in meteorology from the University of Wisconsin.

He served in the Army Air Forces in Algeria and Italy during World War II and received a Bronze Star. He retired from the Air Force reserves as a colonel in 1964.

Dr. White was a fellow of the American Meteorological Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the American Geophysical Union. He was a member of Little Falls Presbyterian Church in Arlington and a Mason.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Leila White of Arlington and Dewey Beach; three children, Fred D. White III of Fairfax City, William C. White of Arlington and Sandra L. White of Falls Church; and two grandchildren.


Civil Rights Officer

Suzanne Elizabeth Olive, 48, associate director of the office of civil rights at the Environmental Protection Agency, died Sept. 21 at her home in Fort Washington. The Maryland medical examiner's office said cause of death had not yet been determined.

Mrs. Olive was born in Washington. She grew up in Cincinnati, then returned to the Washington area as a teenager and graduated from Oxon Hill High School. She graduated from the University of Maryland.

For about the last 10 years, she had worked at EPA. Earlier, she was an equal employment opportunity officer at the Department of Agriculture, where she began her federal career while attending college.

Her marriage to Frank Olive ended in divorce.

Survivors include her parents, Jacob Robinson Idol and Marjorie Elizabeth Idol of Fort Washington; two sisters, Rebecca Idol Allen of Vienna and D. Kelly Norton of Chesapeake Beach, Md.; and a brother, J. Kenneth Idol of La Vale, Md.


Embassy Secretary

Muriel Bamford Turner, 83, a secretary with the British Embassy in Washington from World War II until retiring in 1976, died Sept. 24 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after surgery for ulcers.

Miss Turner, who lived in Washington, was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba in Canada. After retiring as secretary to the embassy's commercial aviation attache, she worked part time in the commercial department.

She was a member of the British Embassy Players, an acting group.

Survivors include a sister, Verlie Junkin of Winnipeg.