The Nov. 4 obituary on John William "Jack" Neumann should have identified Sandra Woods of Darrouzett, Tex., as a stepdaughter. (Published 11/5/94)
Frederick J. Bell, 91, a Navy rear admiral and highly decorated World War II veteran who also had careers as a business executive and as an Episcopal priest at Washington National Cathedral, died of respiratory failure Oct. 29 at Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Miami.
Adm. Bell was a former executive vice president of the National Automobile Dealers Association in Washington and senior vice president of General Telephone & Electronics Corp. In 1971, at age 68, he was ordained an Episcopal priest, and he served at Washington National Cathedral for the next 10 years.
He was awarded a Navy Cross, the Navy's highest award for valor after the Medal of Honor, for action as commanding officer of the destroyer Grayson during the battle of Ontong Java in August 1942.
The citation accompanying the award said, "When his ship was subjected to repeated bombing and strafing attacks by enemy dive bombers at very close range, Commander Bell ... directed the fire of his battery with outstanding efficiency, destroying at least two Japanese dive bombers and damaging others. Immediately following the engagement and during the night, he conducted a search for lost planes, taking his ship into enemy waters and away from the protection of friendly forces. ... He established the identity of lost aircraft and, by flashing messages, directed our planes safely to the carriers."
Adm. Bell also participated in combat operations at Guadalcanal in February 1943 and was awarded a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
Adm. Bell was born in Norfolk and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1924. His Navy career included sea assignments aboard destroyers, cruisers and battleships. Late in the war, he was commander of a destroyer squadron in the Pacific, then served after the war with the U.S. Advisory Group in Nanking, China.
He retired from the Navy in 1948 after serving as a personnel officer for Navy enlisted men.
Adm. Bell then became director of human relations for McCormick & Co., the Baltimore-based spice firm.
In 1953, he came to Washington as executive vice president of the National Automobile Dealers Association and served in that capacity for six years. In that role, he directed dealers' efforts to strengthen their leverage in dealings with automobile manufacturers. That included helping persuade Congress to enact legislation permitting car dealers to sue manufacturers for failing to live up to dealer franchise agreements.
In 1959, he was named senior vice president for industrial and public relations at Sylvania Electric Products Inc. in New York. He returned to Washington later that year as vice president of General Telephone & Electronics Corp.
In 1968, after the death of his first wife, Pauline Glidden Bell, whom he had married in 1925, Adm. Bell began reading and studying for the priesthood.
His work on the clerical staff at Washington National Cathedral included assisting at services and other priestly functions.
Adm. Bell also was a writer of short stories and nonfiction books. They included "Condition Red," an account of the early years of World War II in the Pacific and of the destroyer Grayson, and "Room to Swing a Cat," a book about the founding of the U.S. Navy.
He was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and the Army & Navy Club.
In 1985, he moved from Washington to Miami.
Adm. Bell's wife, Lelia Cook Noggle, whom he married in 1970, died in 1983. A daughter from his first marriage, Barbara Bell Steward, died in February of this year.
Survivors include a sister, Nancy Bell Welch of Long Beach, Calif., and four grandchildren.
JOHN WILLIAM 'JACK' NEUMANN
Real Estate Lawyer
John William "Jack" Neumann, 73, a retired real estate lawyer who as an assistant county attorney in the early 1950s helped draft the Montgomery County zoning code, died of a heart attack Oct. 26 at Holy Cross Hospital.
A Chicago native, Mr. Neumann grew up in Silver Spring and lived there for the rest of his life. He graduated from Montgomery Blair High School and the University of Maryland. He received a law degree from Georgetown University in 1947 and established a private law practice.
In 1951, he joined the staff of the Office of Price Stabilization, a Korean War-era agency. He then became an assistant Montgomery County attorney and later acting county attorney.
In 1955, Mr. Neumann returned to private practice. He was a senior partner of the Bethesda law firm of Frank, Bernstein, Conaway & Goldman when he retired in 1992.
Mr. Neumann was a past director and member of the executive committee of Metropolitan National Bank and a past member of the executive committee of Union Trust Bank of Maryland, now part of Signet Bank. He was general counsel to the Montgomery County High Tech Council.
In the field of public service, he was the chairman for 20 years of the board of review of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. He was vice chairman of the Maryland Commission on the Functions of Government, the Montgomery County Council's committee on open space planning and the County Council advisory committee on environmental matters. He was a member of the Montgomery County Planning Board's advisory committee on county growth policy, the Montgomery County economic development advisory council and the Keep Montgomery County Moving Committee.
Mr. Neumann also was a member of Congressional Country Club and Grace Episcopal Church in Silver Spring.
His first wife, Ann Neumann, died in 1975.
Survivors include his wife, Margaret Jane Neumann of Silver Spring; a daughter from his first marriage, Sandra Woods of Darrouzett, Tex.; a brother, Richard K. Neumann of Phoenix; and a grandson.
CLARK V. SWANSON
Atomic Energy Commission Official
Clark V. Swanson, 83, a retired information analyst with the Atomic Energy Commission, died Oct. 31 at Prince George's Hospital Center after a stroke. He lived in Bowie.
Mr. Swanson was born in Chicago and graduated from Kent College of Law. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the South Pacific.
In 1952, Mr. Swanson joined the staff of the AEC, a forerunner of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, in Albuquerque. He transferred to headquarters in Washington in 1962 and worked with the agency's Joint Atomic Energy Information Group. He retired in 1972.
Mr. Swanson was a member of Collington Masonic Lodge and the Order of the Eastern Star in Bowie.
His first wife, Mary Mulvey Swanson, died in 1989.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Lee Munro Swanson of Bowie; a son from his first marriage, Roger Clark Swanson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; a stepdaughter, Georgia Greene of Taylors Island, Md.; and a brother, Wyman Swanson of Burbank, Ill.
MARY HELEN PHILLIPS
Mary Helen Phillips, 74, a practical nurse who cared for private patients in the Washington area before retiring about 1985, died of a heart attack Nov. 1 at her home in Riverdale.
Mrs. Phillips was born in Spartanburg, S.C. She lived in Asheville, N.C., before moving to the Washington area in the early 1970s.
She was a member of the auxiliary of the Disabled American Veterans.
Her marriage to Jesse Dewey Adams ended in divorce. Her second husband, Victor J. Phillips, died in 1990.
Survivors include five children from her first marriage, Eddie D. Adams of Mitchellville, Joyce Barbara Fitzpatrick of Waldorf, Donald H. Adams of Washington, Kenneth F. Adams Sr. of Riverdale and Richard D. Adams of Forestville; 10 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
ALLEN LLOYD LAW
Army Chief Warrant Officer
Allen Lloyd Law, 79, a retired Army chief warrant officer, died of complications of lung cancer Nov. 1 at Bethesda Naval Hospital.
Mr. Law served 24 years in the Army before retiring in 1957. His career included service with the Old Guard at Fort Myer before World War II and training assignments early in the war.
Later, he participated in combat operations during the Battle of the Bulge in Europe. He was taken prisoner but escaped and returned to his unit. Postwar assignments included occupation duty in Germany and service in the Panama Canal Zone.
His decorations included a Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.
On retiring from the Army, Mr. Law settled in Gaithersburg and began working for the Post Office Department. He worked in Rockville and Riverdale before retiring from the Postal Service in 1981 as a quality control supervisor.
In 1988, he moved from Gaithersburg to Harpers Ferry, W.Va., and later to Waynesboro, Va.
He was born in Manor Township, Pa.
Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Nila Hanlin Law of Waynesboro; three daughters, Barbara Smith of Woodstock, Va., Mary Law Miller of Gaithersburg and Laura Ann Law of Waynesboro; a sister, Mary Law Logue of Kittanning, Pa.; and five grandchildren.
GILBERT N. VIOLANTE
Parking Association Director
Gilbert N. Violante, 73, a public relations consultant who had been executive director of the Washington Parking Association since 1957, died Nov. 1 at his home in Bethesda. He had a heart ailment and diabetes.
Mr. Violante, a native of New Bedford, Mass., had lived in the Washington area since 1942. He attended George Washington University and served in the Army in Korea during the Korean War.
He was a crime reporter for the Washington Times-Herald in the 1940s and 1950s and for WTTG-TV in the mid-1950s. He worked for the public relations firm of Earl Palmer Brown before joining the parking association. He also established his own public relations firm, Violante Associates, in 1964.
He was a member of the Catholic Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda.
His wife, Carolyn Violante, died in 1992.
Survivors include two children, Pamela Violante McConnell of Alexandria and Marc N. Violante of Virginia Beach, and a sister, Olga Violante Tavares of New Bedford.
EDWARD D. ANDRUS III
Edward D. Andrus III, 63, competitions director of the National Rifle Association, died of leukemia Oct. 28 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.
Mr. Andrus had worked for the NRA for 28 years, largely in the division that conducted tournaments and championships. He also was a freelance photographer whose awards included a first prize from Arizona Highways magazine.
Mr. Andrus was born in Washington. He was a graduate of Falls Church High School and American University.
Early in his career, he worked for the U.S. Geological Survey and was an acoustics researcher with the Army and Navy, a history teacher at Falls Church High School, vice president of Art Associates, an advertising firm, and a civil engineer with the Holland Engineering Co.
A certified rifle instructor, Mr. Andrus was a past president of the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club and the Virginia State Rifle and Revolver Association.
His marriage to Mary Ellen Metz ended in divorce.
Survivors include his parents, Virginia D. Andrus of Fairfax and Edward D. Andrus Jr. of Clearwater, Fla.
EMILY J. LITTLE
Emily J. Little, 71, a founding member of the Conservative Club of Alexandria, died Oct. 23 at her home in Alexandria. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Mrs. Little was born in Indianapolis. She graduated from the University of Alabama and received a master's degree in home economics from the university with a major in textile design. She moved to the Washington area in 1957.
About 1970, Mrs. Little was a part-time art teacher at the Seventh-Day Adventist School in Alexandria. She also designed the emblem of the Cardinal Society, a political organization in Northern Virginia, and place mats for the American Association of University Women.
Survivors include her husband of 47 years, Gerald H. Little of Alexandria; two children, Elaine Tuman of Chicago and Gerard P. Little of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.