John R. "Jack" Woolley, 70, a former Republican Party official in California who held appointments in Washington under five presidents and also was a retired captain in the Navy Reserve, died of a heart attack Dec. 14 at the Reston Hospital Center.

A resident of Fairfax, Mr. Woolley was born in Salina, Kan. He graduated from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y., in 1944, and received a master's degree in business administration from the University of Southern California. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific, and he retired from the reserves in 1975.

After teaching business at USC and working in advertising, he came to Washington in 1957 as a special assistant to the secretary of the Navy. In 1961, he returned to California and became executive secretary of the Orange County Republican Central Committee. From 1964 to 1966, he was executive secretary of the California Republican State Central Committee.

From 1966 to 1969, he was director of government affairs for TRW Systems based in Redondo Beach, Calif. In 1969, when President Nixon began his first term, Mr. Woolley was named assistant secretary for legislative affairs in the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

In 1973, he returned to industry as director of the Washington office of PPG Industries. In 1980, he became a consultant to the Commerce Department in the Carter administration. In 1981, with the advent of the first Reagan administration, he joined the Environmental Protection Agency as director of congressional liaison.

Mr. Woolley worked for the Reagan campaign in 1984 and then went to the Government Printing Office as director of legislative and public affairs. He remained there until retiring in 1990.

He was a member of the Congressional Country Club, the Business-Government Relations Council, the Capitol Hill Club and the International Club. For 15 years, he served on the executive committee of a golf tournament held on behalf of the Vincent G. Lombardi Cancer Research Center at Georgetown University Medical Center.

Mr. Woolley's marriage to the former Junette Carter ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 22 years, Judith Lucas Woolley of Fairfax; a daughter from his first marriage, Karen Harris of Iowa City, Iowa; a sister, Harriet Woolley of Port Hueneme, Calif.; a brother, Henry Woolley of Topock, Ariz.; and two grandchildren.


Government Attorney

William H. McManus, 75, a lawyer in the Justice Department's anti-trust division for 25 years before retiring in 1975, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 14 at his home in Allentown, Pa. He lived in College Park before moving to Pennsylvania earlier this year.

Mr. McManus, a Berwyn Heights native, was a 1941 graduate of the University of Maryland a 1948 graduate of Georgetown University law school. He served with the Army Air Forces in the Mediterranean theater during World War II and was awarded a Purple Heart.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Patricia J., of Allentown; five sons, Kevin, of Frederick, Brian, of Baton Rouge, La., Daniel, of Kunkletown, Pa., Timothy, of North Andover, Mass., and Gary, of New Canaan, Conn.; a daughter, Teresa Kugler of Zionsville, Pa.; a brother, John, of Clearwater, Fla.; a sister, Mildred Evers of Riverdale; and eight grandchildren.


Tax Law Specialist

Edward C. Schnabel, 74, a retired Internal Revenue Service tax law specialist, died of cancer Dec. 5 at a hospice in Portland, Ore.

Mr. Schnabel was born in Cincinnati. He attended St. Louis University.

During World War II he served in the Army, then worked for the IRS in St. Louis before moving to Washington in 1969. He retired in 1975.

He lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring from 1983 until moving to Portland this year.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Marjory Schnabel of Portland; and two children, Beverly Schnabel of Portland and Larry Schnabel of Lake Oswego, Ore.


Contracting Officer

Peter Scourby, 71, a contracting officer who retired in 1980 after about three years with the Federal Aviation Administration, died of cancer Dec. 13 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Annandale.

Mr. Scourby, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., attended the Pratt Institute and New York University. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II. After the war, he worked for Defense contractors in the New York area.

He moved to the Washington area 38 years ago and was a sales representative with an electronics firm. He also did contracting work for the Navy.

Mr. Scourby was a founder and past parish president of St. Katherine's Greek Orthodox Church in Falls Church and a member of the Order of Ahepa and the Army-Navy Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine Scourby of Annandale; two children, Helene Sirpis of Clifton and Alex Scourby of Dumfries; a sister, Stella Laing of Brooklyn; and four grandchildren.



Mary Jane Meehan, 77, a retired nurse with the Alexandria Health Department who was active in Catholic Church organizations, died of a heart attack Dec. 12 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Meehan, who was stricken at her home in Falls Church, was born in Alexandria. She graduated from the Providence Hospital School of Nursing in 1937 and joined the staff of Providence Hospital as a registered nurse. She resigned in the early 1940s to begin her family.

In 1959, she returned to nursing at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria. In 1963, she went to work for the Alexandria Health Department, and she was a public health nurse until retiring in 1977.

Mrs. Meehan was a member of St. Phillip's Catholic Church in Falls Church and was active in the Opus Dei and Renew organizations. She was a former member of the parish of St. Rita's Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Her first husband, Frank Geoghegan, died in 1942.

Survivors include her husband of 49 years, John X. Meehan Sr. of Falls Church; a daughter from her first marriage, Frances Geoghegan Dunphy of Washington; six children from her second marriage, retired Air Force Maj. Michael J. Meehan of Ramstein, Germany, John X. Meehan Jr., Patrick C. Meehan, Mary Ellen Meehan and Anne Wilcox, all of Alexandria, and Kathleen Springer of Vienna; and nine grandchildren.


AT&T Operator

Laura Davis Lange, 68, a Washington native who was an operator with the American Telephone & Telegraph Co. for 36 years before retiring in 1984, died of cancer Dec. 8 at her home in Safety Harbor, Fla.

Mrs. Lange graduated from Western High School and attended the University of Texas. She lived in Bethesda before moving to Florida in 1984.

Survivors include her husband of 24 years, Ervin Lange of Safety Harbor; and five sisters, Nancy Williams of Alexandria, Grace Crowder of Safety Harbor, Mary Ellen Wake of Tavares, Fla., Peggy Davis of Washington, and Patricia Bishop of Houston.


State Department Official

Elizabeth Bertha Smith McCullough, 100, a retired State Department officer who also raised and trained dogs, died of arteriosclerotic vascular disease Dec. 11 at Manor Care nursing facility in Potomac.

Mrs. McCullough was born in Ocala, Fla., and attended Northwestern University.

In 1919, she came to Washington and joined the State Department where her assignments included duty in divisions specializing in the Soviet Union, trade agreements, exports and defense aid and the Japanese repatriation program. She retired in 1954.

As a young woman, she won diving championships in Washington and also participated in swimming, canoe-racing and basketball.

Her purpose in retirement, she said, was to "raise and train dogs to be ladies and gentlemen." She was an American Kennel Club-licensed judge of obedience and tracking, and her dogs had won prizes at several dog shows. She was also a member of the Capitol Dog Training Club.

She was a member of the Self-Revelation Church of Absolute Monism, which also is known as the Golden Lotus Temple on Western Avenue N.W.

Her marriage to Cy McCullough ended in divorce.

There are no immediate survivors.


Army General

Paul C. Hurley, 59, a retired Army brigadier general who served as an aviator and a logistics administrator, died of cancer Dec. 13 at his home in Springfield. He had lived in the area off and on since 1969.

He retired from the Pentagon in 1970 as director of the Army's energy, transportation and troop support. Since then, he had been president of Federal Sales Associates, a Clinton trucking company.

Gen. Hurley was a native of Glens Falls, N.Y., and a graduate of John Carroll University in Cleveland and the Command and General Staff College. He received a master's degree in business management from George Washington University.

He began his career as an armor officer and an aviator. He went into logistics work in 1964 and later had two tours in Vietnam. He also was chief of staff for the Military Traffic Management Command.

His military honors included the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, three Bronze Stars and 10 Air Medals.

He was a member of the Christian Officer Fellowship, the Association of the U.S. Army and the National Defense Transportation Association.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley A. Hurley of Springfield; four children, Barbara J. Mills of Williamsburg, Va., Katherine M. Hymes of Hanau, Germany, Army Capt. Paul C. Hurley Jr. of Fort Hood, Tex., and Michael P. Hurley of Hampton, Va.; a brother, John Hurley of Glens Falls; and four grandchildren.



Oliver Wilson, 47, an economist and business development specialist in the Minority Business Development Agency of the Department of Commerce, died of cancer Dec. 15 at his home in Alexandria.

Dr. Wilson had specialized in minority business development at the Commerce Department since 1990. He came to Washington in 1981 to work in the Internal Revenue Service, where he was congressional liaison for statistical affairs, chief of contracts and finances and chief of disclosure coordination for the statistics of income division.

He was born in Lucknow, India, and he graduated from Christ Church College at the University of Agra in Kanpur. He received a master's degree and a doctorate in economics from the University of Allahabad. He did graduate study in business and finance at the University of Texas.

During the 1970s, he was a city planner in Austin. He was also an auditor and economist in the office of the Texas State Comptroller and the Texas State Tax Board.

Survivors include his wife, Benita, and two sons, Sidhartha and Prashant Wilson, all of Alexandria.


Teacher and Systems Analyst

Richard J. Brown, 64, a retired mathematics teacher and systems analyst with the Fairfax County Public Schools, died of a heart attack Dec. 15 at Warren County Memorial Hospital in Front Royal, Va.

From 1957 to 1966, Mr. Brown taught mathematics at George Mason Junior-Senior High School in Falls Church. He then joined the Fairfax County school system. He taught at Fort Hunt High School for a year and at Oakton High School for 16 years.

In 1984, he became a computer systems analyst in the office of research and evaluation. He retired in 1992 but continued as a consultant until his death.

Mr. Brown was born in Sayre, Pa. He attended the University of Florida, where he played baseball. He also played for farm teams in the New York Yankees organization. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University and received a master's degree in education from Virginia Tech.

He moved to the Washington area in 1957. He lived in Fairfax before moving to Front Royal in 1991.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Kathleen Trost Brown of Front Royal; four children, Patrick R., of Austin, Tex., Kyra R., of Falls Church, and Kevin M. and Karsten M., both of Front Royal; and two brothers, William Brown of Sayre and James Brown of California.



Pauline Tina Lesnik, 46, former chief of the acquisitions services department of the Smithsonian Institution libraries, died Dec. 8 in an auto accident in Colorado. Police in Canyon City said she lost control of her car in icy conditions on Route 50, crossed the highway median into a lane of oncoming traffic and was struck broadside by a tractor-trailer truck.

A native of New Jersey, Ms. Lesnik graduated from Douglass College at Rutgers University. She received master's degrees in library science and South Asian languages and civilization from the University of Chicago. Before moving to Washington to join the library staff at the Smithsonian Institution in 1987, she was a librarian at Columbia University and with the New York Public Library.

She had done consulting for the Library of Congress field office in New Delhi.

In 1993, Mrs. Lesnik left the Smithsonian Institution and moved to Colorado.

Survivors include a brother, Michael Lesnik of Spring Valley, N.Y.



Lula E. Curran, 86, who retired in 1964 after 31 years as a clerk with the Potomac Electric Power Co., died of sepsis Nov. 30 at Alexandria Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Curran was born in Casanova in Fauquier County and raised in Falls Church. She was a graduate of George Mason Senior High School.

She was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include her husband of 45 years, Stanley J. Curran of Alexandria.


Export-Import Bank Official

Joseph H. Regan, 84, who retired in 1975 after 20 years as corporate secretary of the Export-Import Bank of the United States, died of a heart attack Dec. 14 at his home in Silver Spring. He had lived in the Washington area for 60 years.

Mr. Regan was born in Bridgeport, Conn. He was a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and attended Georgetown University law school.

He was a loan examiner with the Reconstruction Finance Corp. before World War II and was assistant secretary of the real property disposal board of the War Assets Administration. He joined the Federal Housing Administration in 1953 as a loan servicing representative.

Mr. Regan was a founding member of St. Andrew the Apostle Church in Silver Spring and a member of the Knights of Columbus and Order of the Alhambra.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Eva Regan of Silver Spring; two children, Joseph H. Regan Jr. of Merritt Island, Fla., and Marie Anne Zettler of Silver Spring; a sister, Ann Mary Regan, a member of the order of the Sisters of Charity of Harrison, N.Y.; nine grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Sears, Roebuck & Co. Employee

Barbara F. Stennett, 75, an employee of the Sears, Roebuck store at Landover Mall from the mid-1950s until she retired about 1980 as a customer service manager, died of a stroke Dec. 15 at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

A resident of Camp Springs, Mrs. Stennett was born in Hinton, W.Va. She moved to the Washington area in 1942.

She was a member of the senior citizens organization at Prince George's Community College.

Her husband, Bruce M. Stennett, died in 1966.

Survivors include two sons, Edwin A. Stennett of Gaithersburg and Bruce D. Stennett of Reston; five sisters, India Brown of Hinton, Emma Massie of Haymarket, Evelyn Allen and Wanda Strecker, both of Baltimore, and Mary Lou Mason of Westminster, Md.; two brothers, Grover Allen of Hinton and John Allen of Washington; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.



Rebecca P. Owens, 78, a retired Fairfax County Public Schools teacher who had lived in the Washington area since 1949, died of cancer Dec. 15 at her home in Fairfax.

She began her career in the D.C. Public Schools, where she taught from 1949 to 1952. She later taught at a private school in Alexandria before joining the Fairfax Schools in 1960. She spent her first three years on the faculty of Springfield Estates Elementary School, and she taught at Wilton Woods Elementary from 1963 to 1966. She then taught at Westbriar Elementary until retiring in 1979.

Mrs. Owens was a graduate of St. Cloud State College in her native Minnesota and earned a master's degree in school administration and counseling at the College of William & Mary. During World War II, she had worked for the American Red Cross in Texas.

She was a member of Emmaus United Church of Christ in Vienna and the Vienna chapter of the Business and Professional Women's Association. She also belonged to Delta Kappa Gamma education society.

Her husband, Charles H., died in 1976. Survivors include a son, David, of Chesapeake, Va.; and two grandchildren.


Accounting Assistant

Anne E. Neville, 66, an accounting assistant who retired in 1983 from St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home in Hyattsville, died of a heart attack Dec. 13 at Garrett County Memorial Hospital in Oakland, Md.

Mrs. Neville, a native of Washington, moved to Mount Lake Park, Md., 10 years ago. She was a graduate of Notre Dame Academy in Washington. She joined the accounting department of Providence Hospital in the mid-1960s and went to St. Ann's in the early 1970s.

She was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Washington.

Her husband, John Neville, died in 1972. Survivors include six children, Marianne Gaskin of Fairfax, Katharine Rhodes of Alexandria, Dorothy Amador of Seattle, Margaret Longshore of Cary, N.C., Teresa Brendler of West Point, N.Y., and James Neville of Mount Lake Park; two sisters, Katharine Kinkus and Emily Fitzpatrick, both of Chalk Hill, Pa.; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Army Analyst

Richard C. Hisgen, 72, a retired operations research analyst who worked for the Army Department for 25 years, died of heart ailments Dec. 3 at his home in Vienna. He had lived in this area for more than 30 years.

Mr. Hisgen was born in Turin, N.Y., and raised in Utica, N.Y. He was a graduate of the State University of New York at Albany and received a master's degree in political science from Columbia University. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

He was a researcher with the American Red Cross early in his career and did computer systems work for HBI Mercedes dealership after he retired. He also wrote book reviews for the Stars and Stripes newspaper.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Anne Boone Hisgen of Vienna; and two sons, Christopher W. Hisgen of Washington and Andrew L. Hisgen of San Francisco.