Charles Cecil Wall, 91, the former resident director of Mount Vernon and a biographer and scholar of the life and times of George Washington, died May 1 at Greenwich Woods Health Care Center in Greenwich, Conn., of complications related to strokes.

From 1937 until he retired in 1976, Mr. Wall lived at the Mount Vernon estate, although not in the first president's original manor house. As its director, he worked in Washington's own office, which was connected by a portico to the main building.

Like Washington, he rode about the property on horseback to check on the conditions of the buildings and grounds. He sailed out onto the Potomac River to examine the condition of the riverbanks, and he ordered the planting of a magnolia hedge and construction of servants quarters.

As the master of the estate, Mr. Wall welcomed visiting dignitaries, including U.S. presidents and foreign heads of state, on behalf of the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, the private, nonprofit organization that owns and operates Mount Vernon. Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt visited once, with the king and queen of England. Later, Prince Philip toured the second floor of the manor house and commented, "A little small, eh?" Mr. Wall maintained a discreet silence.

Like Washington, Mr. Wall was a past grand master of Masonic Lodge 22 in Alexandria, which is known as the George Washington Masonic Lodge. His daughter was married at Fairfax County's Pohick Church, which was Washington's church.

"Continuity, that's what we feel here at Mount Vernon," Mr. Wall once said. "I have sometimes felt that it was something more than myself taking care of Mount Vernon."

After his retirement from Mount Vernon, Mr. Wall completed work on his biography of Washington, "George Washington: Citizen-Soldier," which was published by the University of Virginia Press in 1980. The book focused on Washington as a military and political leader and as a farmer and family man at Mount Vernon.

Mr. Wall was born in Curwensville, Pa. He graduated from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1929, he joined the staff at Mount Vernon as an assistant superintendent. During his early years there, he and the superintendent, Harrison H. Dodge, took turns sleeping as guards at the manor house. When Dodge died in 1937, Mr. Wall succeeded him and was the first to live in the newly built director's house on the 500 acres of the estate owned by the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association. In George Washington's time, the estate totaled 8,000 acres.

During the 1960s and 1970s, Mr. Wall was a leader in the effort to preserve the view George Washington had enjoyed from Mount Vernon, campaigning for measures to block commercial and industrial development across the Potomac on the Prince George's County shore.

He was mindful of Washington's appraisal that "no estate in United America is more pleasantly situated than this . . . on one of the finest rivers in the world . . . between the extremes of heat and cold . . . with good roads and the best navigation from the Federal City, Alexandria and Georgetown." With the women of the Ladies' Association, Mr. Wall walked the corridors of the House and Senate office buildings to argue the case for scenic preservation. In 1974, they were successful when Congress enacted legislation completing Piscataway Park and authorizing scenic easements in Maryland.

Mr. Wall also had served on the Northern Virginia Regional Park board and was chairman for five years of the Fairfax County planning and zoning commission.

He was a former president and longtime board member of the Historical Society of Fairfax County, and he also had served on the Fairfax County History Commission.

As a scholar of the life and times of the first president, Mr. Wall was zealous in his defense of Washington's reputation, and he was a prolific writer of letters to magazines and periodicals to correct slights or errors. A physical fitness buff, he kept in shape by jogging mornings in the Mount Vernon Courtyard and bicycling on the the estate's trails.

Mr. Wall was a member of the Cosmos Club and had received an honorary doctorate from George Washington University.

He lived in Alexandria until moving to Connecticut two years ago.

His wife, Marguerite Thorp Wall, died in 1976.

Survivors include a daughter, Mary Jane McKean of Chappaqua, N.Y.; a brother, Arthur R. Wall of Burlingame, Calif.; four grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. JUDITH A. DERRYBERRY Sales Agent

Judith A. Derryberry, 52, a new-home sales agent for RJL Associates and Long & Foster Real Estate Inc., died of pneumonia and respiratory distress syndrome April 29 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Fairfax.

Mrs. Derryberry was a native of Atlanta who accompanied her husband to Navy assignments in the Philippines and Italy. She moved to Northern Virginia in 1969.

Since 1974, she had been a sales agent with Pittarelli Realty, A&B Builders, Ken Murphy Associates and the Long Signature building company. She had been a member of the Million Dollar Sales Club since 1985. In 1988, she was named the top sales agent for new homes by the Northern Virginia Board of Realtors, to which she belonged.

Mrs. Derryberry was a member of Vale United Methodist Church in Oakton.

Survivors include her husband, retired Navy Cmdr. William D. Derryberry of Fairfax; two daughters, Paige Weber of Apex, N.C., and Alisa Derryberry of McLean; her mother, Virginia Derby Asensio of Fairfax; a brother, Ashton Asensio of Boulder, Colo.; and two grandchildren. JANE BUCHANAN LOVE Secretary

Jane Buchanan Love, 86, who had been a secretary at the National Zoo in the 1940s, died of chronic anemia April 28 at her home in Washington.

Ms. Love was a lifelong Washington resident. She attended Gunston Hall School.

Survivors include a sister, Moss Love Compton of Cockeysville, Md. EDWARD S. PEEWEE' CUNNINGHAM Brick Mason

Edward S. "Peewee" Cunningham, 54, a brick mason and an owner of Cunningham Towing, died of a gastric hemorrhage April 23 at Mount Vernon Hospital. A resident of the Washington area for 40 years, he lived in Lorton.

Mr. Cunningham was a native of Waggy, W.Va., and he worked for United Masonry for 30 years. He was recently employed by Windland Construction Co.

Survivors include his wife, Martha Cunningham of Lorton; four daughters, Rotonna Mullen of Clifton, Cynthia Burger of La Plata, Cheryl Cunningham of Lorton and Christine Cunningham of Orlando; his mother, Lorene Cunningham of Birch River, W.Va.; four sisters, Geraldine Coffman of Sutton, W.Va., Pauline Cox of Gallipolis, Ohio, Wilma McCoy of Birch River and Charlotte Amos of Summersville, W.Va.; and seven grandchildren. A son, Edward Cunningham II, died in 1991. ALBERT C. FLUKE Insurance Agencies Director

Albert C. Fluke, 64, who retired in 1993 as director of agencies for the Banner Life Insurance Co., died of a lung ailment April 30 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had lived in Rockville since 1961.

Mr. Fluke was a native of Newark. He served in the Army before becoming an insurance salesman in 1955. He had his own agency in Bethesda in the 1960s, and he was a vice president of Bankers Security Life Insurance Society before joining Banner in 1986.

Mr. Fluke was president of the Optimist Club of Bethesda-Chevy Chase and director of the Optimist Junior Drum and Bugle Corps.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Josephine A. "Joanne" Fluke of Rockville; four children, Gary A. Fluke of Frederick, Md., Kevin P. Fluke of Damascus, Alan D. Fluke of Raleigh, N.C., and Patti Ann Eberhart of Clinton, N.J.; and eight grandchildren. LEO WHEATLEY GARVEY Foreign Service Officer

Leo Wheatley Garvey, an administrative officer and a general services officer who retired in 1966 from the Foreign Service, died of heart and kidney ailments April 28 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Garvey, a native of Alexandria, worked for the State Department for 28 years, starting as a conference officer. His postings included Morocco, Tokyo, Haiti, Costa Rica and Venezuela.

After he retired, he was a management technician with the Kennedy Space Center in Florida until 1971. After returning to the Washington area in 1972, he was a property manager for Weaver Brothers Inc. until 1983.

His marriage to Frances Garvey ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Isabelle W. Garvey of Rockville; a daughter from his first marriage, Judith Ann Garvey of Manassas; two children from his second marriage, John Wheatley Garvey of Silver Spring and James J. Garvey of Germantown; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson. A daughter from his first marriage, Janice Spencer, died in the early 1980s. M. PATRICIA CAREY Librarian

M. Patricia Carey, 73, former head librarian for the Fairfax County public libraries, died of heart disease April 8 at home in Pascagoula, Miss.

Ms. Carey was born in Newport, N.H., and she attended the University of New Hampshire.

During World War II, she worked for the War Department in Florida.

Ms. Carey graduated from the University of Florida and received a master's degree in international relations from the University of Virginia. She received a master's degree in Library Science from Catholic University.

After World War II, Ms. Carey settled in the Washington area. During the 1950s, she was an intelligence officer with the National Security Agency. She retired from the Fairfax library system as head librarian in 1979 after about 20 years of service.

She was a former president of the Virginia Library Association, and she helped found the Virginia Room at the Fairfax Public Library.

On retiring, Ms. Carey moved to Florida and later relocated to Mississippi.

Survivors include a sister, Catherine Carey of Bethesda. JENNINGS W. SCHANA Police Officer

Jennings W. Schana, 81, a retired motorcycle officer of the Metropolitan Police Department, died of liver and kidney failure April 29 at his home in Hyattsville.

Mr. Schana was born in Baltimore and moved to the Washington area in 1934.

He was a member of the D.C. police department from 1941 to 1967 and then worked in retirement as a security officer for Paul Mellon Properties in Washington.

He had been a trustee and a deacon at Hyattsville Presbyterian Church and was a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was a power boater.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Girlie M. Schana of Hyattsville. ANNE E. WESTON Maryland Educator

Anne Emily Weston, 82, a retired Montgomery County public schools educator who also had taught human development courses at the University of Maryland in the early 1960s, died of cancer May 1 at her home in Chevy Chase.

She began her career in the Montgomery County schools in the late 1940s as a teacher at Parkside Elementary School in Silver Spring. From the early 1950s until she retired about 1970, she had been an elementary school classroom instruction supervisor and a member of the staff of the county schools' research office.

Miss Weston, a St. Louis native, moved to the Washington area in the mid-1940s and lived in England in the mid-1980s before returning. She was a graduate of Shurtleff College in Alton, Ill., and received a master's degree in education from the University of Maryland.

She was a past president of the Maryland Association of Supervisors for Curriculum Development and a member of the Delta Kappa Gamma education society. Over the years, she played the organ at several area churches, including First Baptist Church of Silver Spring.

Her marriage to John Davis Caldwell ended in divorce. In 1984, she married Frank Edmund Penston.

Survivors include three children from her first marriage, John Weston Caldwell of Lake Mary, Fla., Robin Amos Caldwell of Olney and Anne Kathleen Mislan of Palm Coast, Fla.; three brothers, Tate Weston of Laytonsville, Burt H. Weston of Alexandria and Paul Weston of Alvada, Ohio; two sisters, Isabelle Mills of Laytonsville and Marynelle Lorez of Silver Spring; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. MARION D. ROBERTSON Building Engineer

Marion D. Robertson, 69, a retired Sears, Roebuck and Co. building engineer, died of lung cancer May 1 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Robertson, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Blytheville, Ark. He served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific during World War II.

He settled in the Washington area after the war and worked as a repairman for ABC Motors in Washington before joining the staff at Sears about 1960. He retired in 1986.

He was a volunteer Boy Scout leader and a founder of a Boy Scout troop for retarded children in Fairfax County.

His wife, Barbara Joan Robertson, died in 1984. Survivors include two sons, Chris Robertson of Dale City and Michael James Robertson of the Northern Virginia Training Center for Retarded Citizens in Fairfax; three grandchildren; and two great-grandsons. DELPHINE W. BRUNE Secretary

Delphine W. Brune, 95, a former secretary to Reps. T. Millet Hand (R-N.J.), Milton W. Glenn (R-N.J.) and John W. Boehne Jr. (D-Ind.), died of pneumonia May 3 at Regina Nursing Home in Evansville, Ind.

Ms. Brune was born in Poseyville, Ind.

She came to Washington in 1931 to work for Boehne, and she was a congressional secretary until retiring in 1961. In 1973, she moved back to Indiana.

She was a bridge player, and she traveled extensively.

Survivors include a sister, Zitta Kerner of Evansville. CARL M. WILSON Secretary

Carl M. Wilson, 57, a secretary who retired in 1993 after three years with the federal ACTION agency, died May 1 at the Hospice of Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Wilson, a resident of Washington for 35 years, had worked for the Library of Congress, the office of Sen. Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), the American Foundation for the Blind and other nonprofit organizations and research groups.

He was born in Philadelphia and raised in Pottsville, Pa. He attended George Washington University, Southeastern University and the University of the District of Columbia. He served in the Air Force.

He was a member of St. Matthew's Cathedral.

Survivors include his companion, Timothy Bovello of Washington. HENRY ROGER ANDERSON Vendor

Henry Roger Anderson, 63, who operated a vending service for 22 years at the Central Intelligence Agency under a program sponsored by Business Opportunities for the Blind, died of a heart attack April 29 at his home in Falls Church. He was a lifelong resident of the city.

Mr. Anderson, who attended Fairfax High School, was a truck driver for an oil company and a moving company before he became a vendor. He was a lieutenant with the rescue squad of the Dunn Loring Volunteer Fire Department.

His marriages to Patricia Anderson and Dorothy Anderson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Betty B. Anderson of Falls Church; four children from his first marriage, Linda S. Weissenborn of Vienna, Sherri M. Baumes of Centreville, Melody L. Nordgren of Falls Church and Charles Anderson of Horseheads, N.Y.; a son from his second marriage, Michael Anderson of Luray, Va.; two stepchildren, Diane Kay Davis of Burke and Donald E. Davis of Falls Church; 17 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. WILLIAM E. McQUAY Lawyer

William E. McQuay, 89, a lawyer who worked in the office of the surgeon general of the United States, died April 30 in a traffic accident in Fairfax County. Fairfax police said he drove his car onto Route 50 from Alder Woods Drive and was struck by another car. He died at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. McQuay, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Reliance, Va. He moved to the Washington area as a young man and received a law degree from Southeastern University.

He managed real estate investments before joining the Reconstruction Finance Corp. in 1944. In 1946, he began working for the office of the surgeon general, where he retired in the mid-1960s.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret L. McQuay of Fairfax; a son, David McQuay of Arlington; and a grandson. A son, William B. McQuay, died in 1990. HARRY A. COUNCILOR Systems Vice President

Harry A. Councilor, 86, the former vice president of American Management Systems computerized bookkeeping, died April 25 at home in Chapel Hill, N.C. He had heart ailments.

Mr. Councilor was born in Muskogee, Okla. He grew up in Washington and graduated from McKinley Tech High School. He graduated from Duke University, where he played basketball. In 1979, he was inducted into the Duke basketball hall of fame.

As a young man, Mr. Councilor managed the Nancye Fleming Dress Shop in Alexandria. Later, he worked with American Management Systems, where he retired in 1979.

In 1986, he moved from Alexandria to Chapel Hill.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred F. Councilor of Chapel Hill; two daughters, Joan C. Renner of Chapel Hill and Susan C. Jocelyn of Alexandria; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. FAYE M. RAPEE C&P Supervisor

Faye M. Rapee, 62, a former telephone operator who retired in 1988 as a staff supervisor after 36 years at the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died of a heart ailment May 2 at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Rapee, a native of Stacy, N.C., moved to the Washington area in 1951. She was a member of Telephone Pioneers of America.

Survivors include her husband of 34 years, William K. Rapee of Springfield; two children, Alan Rapee and Kathy Temple, both of Lorton; three brothers, John B. Styron of Marion, Va., Robert W. Styron of Atlanta and Phillip L. Styron of Cheyenne, Wyo.; and two grandchildren. ROBERT WINNER WILEY Foreign Service Officer

Robert Winner Wiley, a retired Foreign Service officer who was assigned to procurement work for the U.S. Agency for International Development in Afghanistan, Jordan, Turkey and Laos, died of a heart attack April 26 at Arlington Hospital. A resident of the Washington area off and on since 1953, he lived in Arlington.

Mr. Wiley, a native of Fort Worth, received a bachelor's degree and master's degree in business from the University of Denver.

He served in the Army Air Forces in the South Pacific during World War II and later was an adviser to the Korean government. He remained in the Air Force until 1947 and retired from the Air Force Reserve as a lieutenant colonel in 1961.

He was a special assistant to the director of Air Force telecommunications before joining the Foreign Service in 1961. After he retired in 1979, he was a consultant with Development Associates in Arlington.

Mr. Wiley was a member of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Marian Cocke Wiley of Arlington; two children, James Cocke Hutson-Wiley of Coral Gables, Fla., and Susan Wiley Hamilton of Sterling; and three grandchildren.