The Rev. William Martin Peterson, 75, an Episcopal priest who retired in 1989 as rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville, died Sept. 11 at Fairfax Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease and arteriosclerosis.

Mr. Peterson was also a Marine who served 20 years on active duty before retiring as a captain in 1960. He joined the Marines as an enlisted man in 1940 and served in the Pacific during World War II and in China after the war. He served in Korea during the conflict there. He had held all the enlisted and warrant officer ranks in the Marine Corps before being commissioned as an officer.

He attended the University of Virginia's Northern Virginia campus, then, on retiring from the Marine Corps, enrolled at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. He was ordained an Episcopal priest in 1963, and he began his ministry at St. John's in Centreville and Christ Church in Chantilly.

In 1969, he closed Christ Church and expanded St. John's from a mission to full parish status. For four years in the early 1970s, Mr. Peterson also held the office of dean of the Episcopal parishes in Northern Virginia.

He was an authority on Civil War history, and he was instrumental in the restoration of Confederate graves and monuments in the Centreville area. He also gave lectures on the Civil War.

In 1987, he received an honorary doctorate in divinity from Virginia Theological Seminary for his ministry. On Sept. 11, 1994, after the restoration and rededication of the 150-year-old St. John's Church, a new street in Centreville was named for Mr. Peterson.

A native of Springfield, Mass., Mr. Peterson had lived in Sterling since 1993.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Katherine "Murelle" Howard Peterson of Sterling; two sons, William Howard Peterson of Richmond and Christopher Martin Peterson of Reston; and two grandsons. ROLLO NIEL NORGAARD Rear Admiral

Rollo Niel Norgaard, 90, a retired Navy rear admiral and decorated combat veteran of World War II, died Sept. 3 at a health care facility in Winter Park, Fla., after a heart attack.

Adm. Norgaard was awarded a Navy Cross, the highest decoration after the Medal of Honor, for action as commanding officer of the destroyer Hyman during combat operations at Okinawa in April 1945. His shop shot down four Japanese Kamikaze aircraft, three of them after one of the airplanes had crashed on the forward torpedo mount, causing a heavy explosion and structural damage.

During the war, Adm. Norgaard also had participated in convoy escort duty in the Atlantic and assaults on Iwo Jima.

He was born in Dell Rapids, S.D., and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1928. His pre-World War II service included duty aboard battleships, cruisers and destroyers.

Postwar duty included service as naval attache at the U.S. Embassy in Oslo, chief of the foreign branch of Naval Intelligence, command of a destroyer squadron in the Atlantic and planning assignments in Washington. He retired from the Navy in 1958.

His other decorations included a Legion of Merit and a Bronze Star.

In retirement, Adm. Norgaard lived in Washington and later Annapolis. He worked as Eastern regional manager for the mechanical and later electronics division of General Mills Inc., general manager for the Astro-Control systems division of Aeronca Manufacturing and assistant to the president of Oceanics Inc.

He moved to Florida in 1969.

His wife, Elizabeth E. Norgaard, died in 1991.

Survivors include a daughter, Elizabeth Norgaard DeLaBarre of Arlington; a sister, Grace Rovang of Dell Rapids; a brother, Quinton David Norgaard of Anchorage; four grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. ETHEL ADRAIN O'BRIEN Volunteer

Ethel Adrain O'Brien, 92, a volunteer at the Veterans Administration Hospital and a former resident of Arlington, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 11 at the Friends Nursing Home in Sandy Spring.

Mrs. O'Brien volunteered at several Washington area hospitals in the 1970s and 1980s, including working at a pharmacy at the VA hospital. She had worked for 25 years as a bookkeeper at Sauber Floral Shop in Washington, retiring in the 1960s.

She was born in Ashburn and moved to Washington when she was 16 to begin a career in acting, singing and dancing. She lived briefly in Hollywood before returning to Washington in the late 1930s, when she began working at Sauber.

She was a past president of the Southern Maryland District of the American Legion Auxiliary.

Her husband, William Pat O'Brien, died in 1961. She leaves behind no immediate survivors. ALTHEA KOUP Association Official

Althea Koup, 85, a former Army wife and past national vice president for membership of the Clan McNeil, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Sept. 12 at Arlington Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Koup, who had lived in the Washington area on and off since 1941, was a native of Roanoke and a graduate of Roanoke Business College. She accompanied her husband, Elmer L. Koup, who retired from the Army as a colonel, to posts in this country, Japan and Germany. He died in 1969.

She was a member of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Washington DAR chapter.

Survivors include a daughter, Elaine Koup of Arlington; a sister, Florence Steel of Virginia Beach; a grandson; and a great-grandson. KEN DRESSER Consultant

Ken Dresser, 57, an area resident since 1964 who was a theater and lighting consultant, died Sept. 8 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

As in independent creative consultant, he had designed electric light parades as well as operations involving illuminated costumes, neon, fiber optics and special effects through the use of stage fog and computerized graphic effects.

Mr. Dresser had designed parades seen at Walt Disney Co. theme parks in California, Florida, France and Japan, including the "Electric Water Pageant," which has played at the Florida theme park since 1972.

His designs and work also have been used at the Kennedy Center, the Tournament of Roses, Super Bowls, world fairs, presidential inaugural balls and dinners, and at Radio City Music Hall in New York and Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

He also wrote books on design and won awards for graphic designs he did for book covers, record jackets and corporate logos.

Mr. Dresser was a native of Westwood, Mass., and a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. He served in the Army from 1961 to 1963.

He was a member of the Institute for Theatre Technology.

His companion of 31 years, Dr. Charles Fowler, died in June.

Survivors include his mother, Gertrude Dresser, of Westwood, and two sisters, Phyllis Sheldon of Roslindale, Mass., and Harriett Grover of Westwood. MARY DRUE MARTIN GREEN Music Teacher

Mary Drue Martin Green, 75, a former eighth grade music teacher at Sidney Lanier Intermediate School in Fairfax, died Sept. 12 at Vencor Hospital in Arlington after a stroke.

Mrs. Green, who lived in Arlington, was born in Lanexa, Va., and graduated from Mary Washington College.

As a young woman, she was a schoolteacher in Hot Springs and Portsmouth, Va.

In 1952, she moved to the Washington area and joined the faculty at Fairfax Elementary School as an eighth grade teacher. In 1960, she transferred to Sidney Lanier Intermediate School, where she taught eighth grade music until she retired in 1978. Her work there also included supervising and directing annual musical stage productions.

On retiring she did substitute teaching.

Mrs. Green was a piano player and a member of the Potomac River Jazz Club. She was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in Arlington.

Her husband, Jim Green, died in 1985.

Survivors include two children, Martin F. Green of Falls Church and Lynn Robinson of Arlington; and two grandsons. JOSEPH ALBERT SMITH JR. Sheet Metal Worker

Joseph Albert Smith Jr., 70, a retired sheet metal worker, died of lung cancer Sept. 11 at home in Arlington.

Mr. Smith was born in Washington and attended Eastern High School.

During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

After the war, he was a sheet metal worker at Combustioneer Corp. in Washington until 1949, and then for Mathy Co. in Fairfax until he retired in 1988.

He was a member of Sheetmetal Workers Union local 100 and Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Julia Yukish Smith of Arlington; five children, Daniel Arthur Smith of Alexandria, Joyce Ann Wilson of Yuma, Ariz., Mary Smith Ali of McLean, Margaret Ellen Bernarding of Chesapeake, Va., and Kathryn Marie Hyyppa of Silverthrone, Colo.; and eight grandchildren. GLADYS ELGIN STULL Bookkeeper

Gladys Elgin Stull, 79, a retired bookkeeper, died of pneumonia Sept. 6 at Helen Ellis Memorial Hospital in Tarpon Springs, Fla.

Mrs. Stull was born and raised in Romney, W.Va., and she moved to the Washington area in the early 1950s.

She worked 22 years as a bookkeeper, 10 years at Westwood County Club in Fairfax and 12 years at J.A. Laporte Inc. in Alexandria.

A former resident of Fairfax, she retired to Palm Harbor, Fla., in 1984.

Her first husband, T.B. Elgin, died in 1954.

Survivors include her husband, Meade Stull of Palm Harbor, Fla.; two daughters from her first marriage, Cheryl Filipowicz of Richmond and Deborah Kurcina of Vienna; two sisters; and three grandchildren. JOSEPH R. SWEENEY Office Manager

Joseph R. Sweeney, 69, an office manager who had worked 30 years for the architectural firm of Robert L. Fields, died of heart disease Sept. 10 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Sweeney was born in Tamaqua, Pa. He graduated from Villanova University and had also studied accounting at Benjamin Franklin University in Washington, where he had lived since the 1940s.

In addition his service as office manager at the Fields firm, Mr. Sweeney had been administrative secretary to the architectural firm of Murphy and Locraft and also had worked briefly for the engineering firm of Gormley Wareham Associates and for the 1915 16th Street Co-Op Association. He retired in 1986.

Survivors include his companion, Willis H. Hayslett of Washington; and two sisters, Barbara Sweeney Hope of Allentown, Pa., and Marian Sweeney Pennegar of Lansdale, Pa. WILLIAM A. COPPA Insurance Agent

William A. Coppa, 76, a retired insurance agent who also had been a procurement officer at Fort Belvoir, died of cancer Sept. 13 at Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Coppa was a lifelong resident of Alexandria. He graduated from George Washington High School. During World War II, he served in the Army.

After the war, he worked at Fort Belvoir, and he retired in 1974 as chief of procurement in the supply and property office at the Army Engineer Research and Development Laboratories.

On retiring from the government, Mr Coppa was an independent insurance agent with R.H. Nicholson & Co. in Vienna. He retired in 1990.

He had been a Boy Scout troop leader at St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria.

His avocations included gardening, fishing and furniture restoration.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Alice K. Coppa of Alexandria; two children, Deborah M. Coppa of Newton, Mass., and W. Michael Coppa of Richmond; a sister, Mary Moench of Longwood, Fla.; and three grandchildren. LESLIE CHARLES HORLICK SHOMO Businessman

Leslie Charles Horlick Shomo, 79, who was president of the Mid-Atlantic Division of McCall's Corp. oration in Glenn Dale, died of fibrosis of the lungs Sept. 12 at Sunnyside Presbyterian Retirement Community in Harrisonburg, Va.

Mr. Shomo, a resident of Alexandria for 51 years until 1991, became president of the division when the business he was managing, National Publishing Co., was bought by McCall's in the early 1960s. He retired from McCall's in the early 1970s.

Born in Ambridge, Pa., Mr. Shomo graduated from Augusta Military Academy in Fort Defiance, Va., and Carnegie-Mellon University.

He served as chairman of the board of St. Stephen's School in Alexandria and as deacon of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria. He was past president of Washington Golf and Country Club in Arlington. Survivors include his wife, Emily B. Shomo of Harrisonburg; a daughter, Elizabeth S. Brunnemer of Charlotte; two sons, Thomas H. Shomo of Harrisonburg and Richard C. Shomo of Richmond; a brother, Dr. Joseph L. Shomo of Aledo, Tex.; and five grandchildren. GORDON D. JONES Army Colonel

Gordon D. Jones, a retired U.S. Army colonel and Arlington resident for 23 years, died of cancer Aug. 15 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Col. Jones moved to the Washington area while stationed at the Pentagon in the early 1970s. He served for 30 years in the Army, retiring in 1982 from the Directorate of International Logistics deputy chief of staff at the Pentagon.

Born in Lewistown, Ill., Col. Jones graduated from Knox College in Galesburg, Ill. He received his army commission while in the ROTC program at Knox. He was a graduate of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. Col. Jones served in the Vietnam War and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Legion of Honor with Oak Leaf Cluster. His military assignments also included posts at in Germany, Hawaii and Iceland.

Survivors include his mother Jennie Jones of Macomb, Ill; and a sister, Charlotte Fayhee of Bushnell, Ill. ROBERT LEMUEL BOWYER Army Sergeant

Robert Lemuel Bowyer, 61, a retired Army master sergeant, died Sept. 12 at Fairfax Hospital of complications related to lung cancer surgery.

Mr. Bowyer, who lived in Springfield, was born in Thaxton, Va. He served 20 years in the Army before retiring in 1973, and his career included duty with the Army Security Agency and service in Vietnam, California, Thailand, Germany and Washington.

On retiring from the Army, he settled in the Washington area and worked as chief administrative officer for the Retired Officers Association until retiring in November 1994.

He was a fisherman and hunter and a member of the Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac and the National Rifle Association.

His marriage to Barbara Bowyer ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Karla Bowyer of Springfield; their daughter, Katherine Haggerty of Bealeton, Va.; two sons with his first wife, Dale Bowyer of Marshall, Va., and Dennis Bowyer of Kernersville, N.C.; and 10 grandchildren. SAMUEL H. HOWER Park Policeman

Samuel H. Hower, 85, a U.S. Park Police officer who retired as an inspector in 1968, died Sept. 10 at home in Annandale after a heart attack.

Mr. Hower was born in Olathe, Kan., and attended business college in Kansas City, Mo.

He moved to Washington and began his career with the Park Police in 1940.

He was a trustee and board member of the National Evangelical Free Church in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Hower of Annandale; three children, Paul H. Hower of Mountain Lakes, N.J., Roger F. Hower of Annandale and Janette H. Hinkle of Mount Jackson, Va.; twin sisters, Ethel Vohs and Esther Crane, both of Olathe; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.