Abraham Bogorad, 76, who retired as an administrative law judge in 1970 after 28 years with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, died Dec. 13 at Manor Care nursing home in Bethesda. He had a neurological ailment.

Mr. Bogorad was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a graduate of City College of New York. He studied economics at the New School for Social Research and received a law degree from George Washington University. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

Mr. Bogorad, a resident of Washington since 1939, worked here initially as a messenger at the Agriculture Department. He later became a trademark examiner and administrative law judge. After he retired, he worked for law firms that included Sterne, Kessler, Goldstein & Fox.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Hope C. Bogorad of Washington; two children, Dr. David D. Bogorad of West Bloomfield, Mich., and Julia Bogorad of North Oaks, Minn.; and four grandchildren. WILLIAM McDONALD WALLS CIA Official

William McDonald Walls, 79, a 26-year veteran of the Central Intelligence Agency who retired as chief of support offices in the office of security, died of leukemia Dec. 13 at Rappahannock General Hospital in Kilmarnock, Va.

Mr. Walls's service with the CIA included duty in Rome and Vientiane, Laos. He retired in 1973.

He was born in McCoysville, Pa. As a young man, he was a semi-professional baseball player. He served in the Army in North Africa and Europe during World War II.

After the war, he settled in Washington and graduated from Benjamin Franklin University, where he also received a master's degree in accounting.

While working at the CIA, he also operated a real estate brokerage, Walls Realty, specializing in residential sales in Northern Virginia.

He moved to Weems, Va., in 1973 and continued to sell real estate with Jim and Pat Carter Realty.

He was a former president and charter member of the Norlan Shrine Club of Lancaster County, Va.

He was a past commander of the American Legion in McLean and former treasurer of the Greater McLean Citizens Association.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Virginia Wallace Junkin Walls of Weems; four children, Mary Virginia Vinson of South Port, Fla., Kathryn Ann Milner of Orange Park, Fla., and William Robert Walls and Martha Jane Walls, both of Falls Church; and five grandchildren. WILLIAM E. SMITH SR. Army Captain

William E. Smith Sr., 64, a retired Army captain who worked as a salesman at a family-owned paint store in Washington in the late 1960s, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 9 at Cuero General Hospital in Cuero, Tex.

Capt. Smith, who lived in Yorktown, Tex., since the early 1980s, was born in Suitland. He served with the 82nd Airborne Division and retired after 20 years with the military in 1967.

He returned to the Washington area and began working at C.I. Smith, a retail paint shop on 18th Street NW. In the early 1970s, he moved to Costa Rica and later settled in Yorktown, where he operated a health food store.

He was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Suitland and Yorktown.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley Smith of Yorktown; four sons, William E. Smith Jr. of Cuero, Tex., D. Bradbury Smith of Spring Lake, N.C., Curt Smith of Fort Hood, Tex., and Carlos Smith of Victoria, Tex.; three daughters, Patricia Lee of Central, N.M., Denise Hood of Telferner, Tex., and Crystal Stepanski of Houston; two stepsons, Michael Ehrlich of Yorktown and Jeffrey Ehrlich of Wichita, Kan.; two stepdaughters, Nancy Pittman of Houston and Mary O'Neal of Hutchinson, Kan.; two sisters, Peggy King of Dallas and Judy Burch of Montrose, Va.; a brother, James Smith of Davidsonville, Md.; 27 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. ROBERT J.J. SEOANE SR. Graphic Artist

Robert J.J. Seoane Sr., 69, a retired graphic artist with the Defense Intelligence Agency who later managed the Merrifield Plaza Shopping Center, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 13 at Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Dunn Loring.

Mr. Seoane, who was born in Merrifield, worked with the intelligence agency at the Pentagon from the early 1950s until his retirement in 1972. He then took over the management position at the shopping center.

He was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School in Arlington and served in the Army during World War II. He took part in the Normandy invasion and received a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts. After the war, he graduated from Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Va.

He was a member of the Merrifield Lions Club, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Catholic War Veterans and the Dunn Loring Volunteer Fire Department. He was also a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife, Evelyn Seoane, of Dunn Loring; three sons, Robert J.J. Jr., of Centreville, James A., of Daytona Beach, Fla., and Frederick E., of Dunn Loring; two sisters, Cecilia Abbott of De Bary, Fla., and Theresa Johnson of Centreville; a sister, Cornelia Knight of Fayetteville, N.C.; and four grandchildren. MINATI BASU "LILY" ROY Language Teacher

Minati Basu "Lily" Roy, 64, a former language instructor at the Foreign Service Institute and a co-founder of a Bengali folk music group, Ganga, died Dec. 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Roy, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Calcutta. She graduated from the University of Calcutta, where she also received a master's degree in literature.

As a young woman, she was a classical dance instructor at Geetabitan school for dance in Calcutta.

In 1969, Mrs. Roy came to the United States to study at the University of Michigan, where she received a master's degree in education. She was a middle school teacher in Jackson, Miss., for one year, then returned to Calcutta.

In 1975, she came to Washington and joined the staff of the Foreign Service Institute, where she later served as South Asian languages coordinator. In 1992, she received the Una Chapman Cox award for excellence in teaching. She retired in 1993.

With her husband, Hitabrata "Bachoo" Roy, she founded Ganga in 1981. The group has performed at various locations across the United States and in Europe.

In addition to her husband, of Falls Church, survivors include two children, Krishnakali Roy of Vienna and Broto Roy of Arlington. RUTH APPERSON EAKER Board Member

Ruth Apperson Eaker, 87, a charter member of the board of the Air Force Retired Officers Community and a board member of the Falcon Foundation of the U.S. Air Force Academy, died of kidney failure Dec. 13 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base.

Mrs. Eaker was born in Washington and attended George Washington University. In 1931, she married Ira C. Eaker, an Army officer who retired as a general after having served as deputy commander of the Army Air Forces and chief of the air staff. He died in 1987.

During the 1930s, Mrs. Eaker accompanied her husband to military posts in California, Alabama and Kansas. She remained in Washington during World War II, when she did volunteer promotional work for war bond rallies and made ceremonial trips to war production plants.

After her husband's retirement in 1947, they lived in Oregon and California before returning to Washington in 1957.

She was a member of the Sulgrave Club, the Chevy Chase Club and the Army Navy Club.

Survivors include a sister, Martha Vey Donohue of Washington. GUENTHER HINTZE Rocket Scientist

Guenther Hintze, 89, a rocket scientist and retired professor who worked on development of the V-2 missile in World War II Germany and came to the United States in 1945 to join the Army's missile program in New Mexico, died Dec. 9 at Sibley Hospital. He had diabetes and a peptic ulcer.

Dr. Hintze taught graduate courses in systems analysis and cybernetics at George Washington University after moving to Washington in 1976. He retired in the early 1980s.

Dr. Hintze studied at a technical university in his native Breslau, Germany, and later received an honorary doctorate from New Mexico State University.

He worked with Wernher von Braun on missile development at the White Sands Proving Ground and later accompanied von Braun to Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. He returned to New Mexico to work as chief of the Army's flight simulation laboratory.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Else Hintze of Washington; three children, Klaus Hintze of Charleston, S.C., Peter Hintze of Washington and Dagmar Hayo of Phoenix; and three grandchildren. PIERCE GAULT Assistant Verger

Pierce Gault, 82, a former assistant verger at the Washington National Cathedral who earlier had worked in art and furniture sales, died Dec. 8 at Crystal City Nursing Center in Arlington. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Gault, a resident of Washington, was born in Pacolet, S.C., and attended Wofford College in Spartanburg.

In 1937, he moved to Washington.

As a young man, he worked at the cathedral in the office of the verger, an unordained church official responsible for seeing to it that services and events occur in accordance with the directions of the dean and precentor of the cathedral.

Later Mr. Gault directed the boys program at Georgetown Children's House and held sales jobs at Ursell's furniture and Veerhoff Art Gallery. He was assistant verger at the cathedral in the 1970s and retired around 1980.

His avocations included church music, and he was a member of the Organ Historical Society.

Mr. Gault was a member of the Episcopal Peace Fellowship. He was a volunteer Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader. In the 1960s, he helped establish the Georgetown Free Clinic.

His wife, Eliza deSaussure Gault, died in 1990.

Survivors include a daughter, Sarah Ostad of Washington; and two grandsons. THEODORE A. BRADFORD JR. Lawyer

Theodore A. Bradford Jr., 90, a lawyer who retired in 1975 after about 37 years with the General Accounting Office, died of cancer Dec. 12 at the Thomas House in Washington.

A lifelong Washington resident, Mr. Bradford graduated from Dunbar High School and received a bachelor's degree and law degree from Howard University. He began his civil service career in 1938, when he was hired to a clerical position in the Post Office division of the GAO. In the mid-1940s, he was transferred to the tax accounting department, where he spent the remaining years of his career.

During his retirement, he occasionally wrote financial articles for newsletters on the stock market.

He was a member of Calvary Episcopal Church in Washington.

His wife, Deulah Harth Bradford, died in 1985. Survivors include a daughter, Jean L. Bradford of Silver Spring. ARTHUR E. NOLAN Insurance Executive

Arthur E. Nolan, 76, an insurance executive who retired from Union Labor Life Insurance Co. as senior vice president for sales and marketing, died of a heart ailment Dec. 14 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Nolan, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in New York and graduated from Fordham University.

He worked for John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance in Boston and then for Union Labor Life Insurance in New York before moving to this area when Union Labor Life relocated here in 1983.

He retired in 1986 after about 20 years with the company, but then served until his death as senior adviser to the chief executive officer of Union Labor Life.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Mae Dornseif Nolan of Chevy Chase; two children, Arthur E. Nolan Jr. of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, and Lorraine Nolan Hart of Jackson Heights, N.Y.; and two granddaughters. FRANCIS JONES Haberdasher

Francis Jones, 83, who owned and operated Lord Fairfax menswear in Fairfax for 30 years before retiring in 1975, died of a brain tumor Dec. 1 at Powhatan Nursing Home in Falls Church.

Mr. Jones was born in Washington and had lived in Falls Church since infancy. He graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School and what is now George Washington University law school.

As a young man, he played semi-professional baseball and also was manager of the Gibson Grays baseball team in Falls Church. He was a pitcher for the baseball team of the Treasury Department, where he worked before World War II. He had also worked for the FBI before the war.

During the War, Mr. Jones served in the Coast Guard in the North and South Atlantic.

He was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include a brother, Roland Jones of Falls Church; and a sister, Helen Horgan of Sterling. CATHERINE A. FINNERTY Washington Native

Catherine A. Finnerty, 72, a Washington native and former member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church, died of cancer Dec. 14 at her daughter's home in New Orleans.

Mrs. Finnerty, who lived in Falls Church until last year, graduated from Holy Trinity High School and received a nursing degree from Georgetown University. She worked in private practice for brief time in the late 1940s.

She was a resident of McLean for 17 years until 1977, when she moved to Vienna and later Falls Church.

Her marriage to Dr. Frank A. Finnerty Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include five sons, Francis A., of Alexandria, Peter K., of Phenix City, Ala., Robert D., of Thomson, Ga., Shawn B., of Fairfax, and M. Duffy, of Falls Church; two daughters, Patty Corales of New Orleans and Mary Elizabeth Zinzi of Falls Church; and 18 grandchildren. JOSEPH NICHOLAS FARRELL JR. Computer Manager

Joseph Nicholas Farrell Jr., 71, former manager of computer operations for Eastern Airlines in Charlotte, died of lung cancer Dec. 14 at his home in Charlotte.

Mr. Farrell was born in Washington. He graduated from Roosevelt High School and attended the University of Maryland.

During World War II, he was an Army Air Forces navigator, and he served in Italy.

He returned to Washington after the war and worked five years for Eastern Airlines, then transferred to Nashville and later Jacksonville, Fla.

He was assigned to Charlotte in 1962 as manager of computer operations. Later he was business manager of Charlotte Country Day School. He retired about six years ago.

Survivors include his wife, Gertrude Farrell of Charlotte; four children; and three grandchildren. ROGERS BIRNIE HORGAN Foreign Service Officer

Rogers Birnie Horgan, 80, a retired Foreign Service officer, died of kidney failure and pneumonia Dec. 13 at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Horgan was born in Boston and graduated from Harvard University. During World War II he served in the Navy as a navigator aboard an aircraft carrier on anti-submarine patrols in the Atlantic.

He joined the Foreign Service in 1948 and served in Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Egypt and Bermuda in addition to postings in Washington. He retired in 1973.

Since retiring, Mr. Horgan had lived in Columbia, where he was active in Christ Episcopal Church.

His wife, Roene Brooks, died in 1991.

Survivors include a half-brother, retired Army Lt. Gen. Ernest Graves of Arlington. LUCIE LEE HOWARD Club Member

Lucie Lee Howard, 87, a championship golfer at Belle Haven Country Club and with the Metropolitan Washington Country Club League, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 11 at Mount Vernon Hospital. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Howard was born in Berryville, Va. She graduated at age 70 from George Mason University.

She was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria, Alexandria Little Theater, Belle Haven Garden Club and the Belle Haven Woman's Club.

Her husband, Jack S. Howard, died in 1985.

Survivors include three children, Lee Howard Hickson of Fort Walton Beach, Fla., Lynn Howard Smith of McLean and John Pulliam Howard of Falls Church; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. MARK HARPER University of Maryland Graduate

Mark Harper, 25, who received a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Maryland in May and who volunteered there with programs for disadvantaged children, died of leukemia Dec. 12 at Goerge Washington University Hospital. He lived in Hyattsville.

Mr. Harper was born in Washington and raised in Hyattsville. He was a graduate of Northwestern High School, where he played on the tennis team. He studied astronomy and physics at the University of Arizona and worked at the university's jet propulsion laboratory.

His interests include painting and the guitar.

Survivors include his parents, Vonda J. Harper and Glenn A. Harper, and a brother, Burch Harper, all of Hyattsville; and a grandmother, Juanita Burch of Plainville, Ind. ZELDA R. BYER Accountant

Zelda R. Byer, 84, a retired Agency for International Development accountant, died of cardiovascular disease Dec. 13 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Byer, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Worcester, Mass. She moved to the Washington area in the 1930s.

In 1970, she retired from AID after 30 years of federal service, which also included working for the Treasury Department and the Federal Maritime Administration.

Mrs. Byer had done volunteer work for the Red Cross and she was a former president of the Montgomery County chapter of the National Council of Jewish Women.

She helped organize the Bethesda Thrift Shop.

Her husband, Charles M. Byer, died in 1955.

Survivors include a son, Lewis Byer of Silver Spring.