The obituary of Louis P. Katzman, which appeared in The Post on March 22, incorrectly omitted his twin sister, Ida B. Rosenheim of Silver Spring, from the list of survivors. (Published 03/23/96)

Victor Zorza, 70, an influential syndicated columnist on Soviet affairs who became an early crusader for the hospice movement in the United States and abroad, died after a heart attack March 20 at a hospital in London. He lived in London.

Mr. Zorza's Kremlinology column, which appeared in The Washington Post in the 1970s and was syndicated in 25 countries, often ran counter to the prevailing thinking on Soviet affairs and was said to infuriate U.S. policymakers. He provided detailed analysis of the Soviet and other communist governments and accurately predicted the Sino-Soviet split, the fall of Nikita S. Khrushchev and the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. The last earned him a Journalist of the Year Award in 1968. The award is Britain's equivalent of a Pulitzer Prize.

His work spawned rumors that he was working for the KGB. Meanwhile, the Soviet press denounced his articles and hinted that he was an agent of the CIA. His insight was really attributable to a keen sense of analysis and the fact that he worked doggedly seven days a week, poring over Russian newspapers and monitoring radio and television broadcasts, to keep atop of the Soviet Union, said Jonathan Steele, a former colleague at the Manchester Guardian, where Mr. Zorza began writing a weekly column on world communism in 1956.

In the late 1960s, Mr. Zorza moved from London to Washington, where he continued with his column and gained an international reputation as an analyst of Soviet policy and the tenuous relationship between communist governments around the world. Above all, his columns often helped explain the Russian people to his Western readers, Steele said.

He stopped writing his column after his 25-year-old daughter, Jane, died of cancer in 1977. In the year before Jane's death, the Zorza family sought hospice care for her in the United States but found that the country lacked hospice programs for the terminally ill. The Zorzas traveled to England, where the family felt hospice care was more progressive.

After Jane's death, Mr. Zorza and his wife, Rosemary, returned to Washington to advance the hospice movement. They became co-chairmen of the National Hospice Organization and, in 1980, wrote "A Way to Die," a book that gave a graphic account of their daughter's illness and the serenity of her last weeks in an English hospice.

Shortly after the Zorzas completed the manuscript for their book, it appeared that Mr. Zorza's health had begun to fail. He had a coronary bypass operation in England and was told by his doctors that he probably had a year to live.

The news freed him to pursue the type of reporting he had been wanting to do for some time, he once said in an interview, covering the ordinary lives of the rural poor. For several years beginning in 1981, he lived off and on in small villages in India. His columns appeared in The Washington Post, the Times of London and the Manchester Guardian.

He came to terms with mortality during his years in India, he said in a 1986 interview.

The death of his daughter and his own brush with mortality were not his first encounters with death.

Mr. Zorza was born Victor Wermuth in Poland and was a teenager when the Nazis invaded his country in 1939. Later in World War II, he was among 2 1/2 million Poles deported by the Soviets to Siberia. He managed to escape from the Soviets twice, and the second time he made his way back to Poland. In Poland, Mr. Zorza, who was a Jew, assumed a Roman Catholic identity, a masquerade that continued until years after the war. From Poland, he made his way to Britain and joined the Royal Air Force. After the war, he went to work as a translator for the BBC.

In recent years, he worked for the establishment of a hospice network in Russia. Setting aside his excitement over the historic changes going on in Russia, he focused on organizing charities and meeting with members of the local press to promote the hospice movement.

His marriage to Rosemary Zorza ended in divorce.

Survivors include a companion, Eileen Lerche-Thomsen of London; a son, Richard Zorza of New York; and a sister in Poland. STOYKO TOTEV KAVRUKOV Broadcaster and Army Officer

Stoyko Totev Kavrukov, 86, a broadcaster with the Bulgarian service of the Voice of America from 1965 until he retired in 1981, died of a stroke March 19 at Vencor Hospital in Arlington.

Mr. Kavrukov was a career army officer in his native Bulgaria and served as a head of military intelligence during World War II. After the Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe at the end of the war, he was imprisoned several times. He escaped from a prison camp on a Danube River island in 1953 and came to the Washington area two years later.

Mr. Kavrukov worked for U.S. Army intelligence in Greece and in the Washington area before joining the Voice of America. He also owned an auto repair shop in Arlington until the mid-1980s.

He was a resident of Arlington and a founder of St. George Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox Church in Arlington. He served on the church's board of directors.

His first wife, Milka Kavrukov, died in 1965.

Survivors include his wife, Anelia Kavrukov of Arlington; two sons from his first marriage, Totko "Ted" Kavrukov of Arlington and Ivan Kavrukov of New York; two stepchildren, Constantin Kotzev of Arlington and Aneta Chyla of Lodz, Poland; and two grandchildren. ANNE W. BULLARD Business Administrator

Anne W. Bullard, 96, who until recently worked as treasurer of the Fall Line Co. and the Chestnut Lodge Research Institute, died of congestive heart failure March 19 at her son's home in Finksburg, Md.

Mrs. Bullard, who lived in Rockville, began her career in 1931 when she became business administrator at Chestnut Lodge Hospital in Rockville, which was founded in 1910 by her father-in-law, Dr. Ernest L. Bullard. She was treasurer of the hospital's research institute from 1947 to 1995 and held the same position at the psychiatric hospital's parent company, Fall Line, from 1981 to 1994.

She was a member of the Chevy Chase Club, the Colonial Dames of America and Rockville Presbyterian Church.

She was past president of the Montgomery County Mental Health Association and had been a board member and treasurer of the Maryland Association for Mental Health. She also had been a member of the Rockville Civic Center Commission and the board of directors of the Arts Council of Rockville.

Her husband of 54 years, Dexter M. Bullard, died in 1981.

Survivors include three children, Anthony Ray Bullard of Finksburg, Rose B. Dyrud of Chicago and James Wilson Bullard of Ashton; 10 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. RICHARD TAYLOR RUSSELL VA Official

Richard Taylor Russell, 97, who retired in 1962 as director of policy and planning at the Veterans Administration, died of dehydration and malnutrition March 19 at the Cameron Glen Care Center in Reston.

A former resident of Alexandria, he lived in Northern Virginia from 1937 to 1962 and returned to the area from St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1994.

Mr. Russell was born in Wildwood, Ga. He received a teaching certificate from Alabama Normal School and a bachelor's degree in accounting from Tulane University. He served in the Marine Corps in France during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star.

Mr. Russell began with the VA as a budget clerk in New Orleans and later was a finance officer in Alabama. In Washington, he also had served as director of finance for the agency.

He was a Mason and a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion and National Rifle Association.

His wife of 67 years, Lillian Daly Russell, died in 1988, and a daughter, Elizabeth Russell Brown, died in 1970. Survivors include a son, Richard T. Russell Jr. of Great Falls; a brother, Baxter Russell of Picayune, Miss.; a sister, Nora Hasty of Ocean Springs, Miss.; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. A. JOHN ALEXANDER Intelligence Research Analyst

A. John Alexander, 77, an Alexandria resident who worked as an analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency for 26 years until his retirement in 1973, died of prostate cancer March 12 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Alexander, who was born in Rochester, N.Y., was a graduate of the University of Rochester. He attended Cornell University and Columbia University before serving in the Army during World War II. He joined the Defense Intelligence Agency in 1947. He later received a doctorate in American Intellectual History from American University.

Mr. Alexander spent his career as an intelligence research analyst advising on military capabilities. From 1957 to 1961, he taught evening classes in American historiography and American intellectual history at American University.

In his retirement, he served on the allocations and social planning committees of the Alexandria United Way.

He was a member of Unitarian Universalist Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Charlotte Alexander of Alexandria; and three children, David Alexander of Falls Church, Michael Alexander of Charlottesville and Anne Alexander Kulikowski of Cambridge, Mass. CHARLES C. STAPLETON Sales Manager

Charles C. Stapleton, 69, who retired in 1990 as national sales manager of federal accounts after 19 years with Lanier Business Products Inc., died of a heart attack March 18 at Reston Hospital Center. Mr. Stapleton, a resident of Reston, had lived in the Washington area since 1976.

He was a native of Nahunta, Ga., and served in the Navy in the Atlantic and the Pacific during World War II.

After the war, he was a switchman and an assistant terminal manager for Central of Georgia Railroad. Before joining Lanier, he worked for Eastern Airlines as a ticket agent and a district sales supervisor for corporate travel accounts. He also had worked as director of sales for Crested Butte Ski Resort in Colorado. After he retired, he worked part time at a Parcel Plus store in Herndon.

He was a Mason.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Viola Nell Stapleton of Reston; four daughters, Kay Colbert of Reston, Joy Chalk of Sterling, Jill Devine of Reston and Dixie Harding of Manassas; a sister, Rene Welch of Savannah, Ga.; and 12 grandchildren. LOUIS P. KATZMAN Copyright Examiner

Louis P. Katzman, 73, a retired Library of Congress copyright examiner, died of pneumonia March 19 at home in Hyattsville.

Mr. Katzman was born in Washington, and he graduated from Eastern High School.

During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe, and he participated in the D-Day landings in France on June 6, 1944.

He retired from the Library of Congress in 1977 after 37 years of federal service.

Survivors include his wife, Lena Katzman of Hyattsville, and a son, Michael Katzman of Silver Spring.