The obituary of John Barkley Shapbell, which ran in the March 26 edition of The Post, misspelled the name of his sister, Josephine E. Dresher. (Published 04/19/96)

Roderic H. Davison, 79, a past president of both the Middle East Studies Association and the Turkish Studies Association who taught history at George Washington University for more than 40 years, died of a respiratory ailment March 23 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Davison began his teaching career at George Washington in 1947. He became a full professor of history in 1954 and retired from the full-time faculty in 1986. He continued to teach at the university until 1993.

He taught courses on Near Eastern and European diplomatic history and on the Ottoman Empire. He served as treasurer of the American Historical Association and on the board of the Middle East Institute. He also lectured at Princeton, Harvard and Johns Hopkins universities as well as the Foreign Service Institute.

Mr. Davison was born in Buffalo and grew up in Istanbul, where his father served on the faculty of what was then Robert College. Mr. Davison was a 1937 graduate of Princeton University, and he received master's and doctoral degrees in history at Harvard University. He also was the recipient of a 1994 honorary doctorate in humane letters from George Washington.

He was the author of three books, including a short history of Turkey. He contributed to a dozen other books and wrote more than 50 technical articles. He also contributed articles and book reviews to such publications as The Washington Post.

When the United States entered World War II, he was doing refugee work with the American Friends Service Committee in France and was interned for a year by the Germans. He was a conscientious objector during World War II and performed alternate service.

He was a member of the Washington Friends Meeting and a volunteer with its Alzheimer's Club, where he led singing and played the accordion each week. He was known to augment his university lectures with snatches of song and poetry.

His wife of 42 years, Louise Dickey Davison, died in 1991. Survivors include two sons, R. John Davison of Newtown, Pa., and Richard H. Davison of Vienna; two brothers, W. Phillips Davison of Washington, and John H. Davison of Haverford, Pa.; and two grandchildren.


Social Worker

Harvey A. Taschman, 72, a retired National Institutes of Mental Health social worker, died March 25 at home in Bethesda. He had a heart ailment.

Mr. Taschman was born in New York and graduated from the University of Wisconsin. He received a doctorate in social work at the University of Pittsburgh.

During World War II, he served in the Navy.

During the 1950s, he worked for five years in Burlington, N.C., where he founded a mental health clinic and the Burlington Mental Health Association.

He worked for 25 years at the National Institutes of Mental Health before retiring around 1980, then worked in Maryland community psychiatric clinics in Montgomery County.

Mr. Taschman was an innovator in the use of mental health therapy programs such as psychodrama.

He served on the board of the Special Needs Library and was a founder of the health science section of the Wheaton Library.

He was the founder of the Washington chapter of the Children's International Summer Villages, an exchange organization for 11-year-olds.

He volunteered with the English as a second language program at Tilden Junior High School, and he was president of the Retired Senior Voluntary Program.

Survivors include his wife, Roslyn Taschman of Bethesda; two children, Holly Schwartz of Baltimore and David Taschman of Derwood; a sister, Frances Fein of New York; and six grandchildren.


Graphic Artist

John Barkley Shapbell, 75, a graphic artist and portrait painter who retired from the Naval Air Systems Command in 1979, died March 25 at Vencor Hospital in Arlington of complications after open heart surgery.

Mr. Shapbell, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Frackville, Pa. He enlisted in the Navy in 1940 and was serving at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attack brought the United States into World War II. Later in the war, he served in the Pacific.

After the war, he settled in the Washington area and graduated from Abbot Art School. He taught drawing and design and in 1950 joined the Naval Oceanographic Office in Suitland. Later, he worked at Georgetown University, where his assignments included contract intelligence analysis for the Central Intelligence Agency, and at the Army Transportation Corps. He joined the Naval Air Systems Command in 1958 and remained there until retiring.

He served on the vestry of Faith Lutheran Church in Arlington. He was a Boy Scout leader.

Survivors include his wife, Edna Shapbell of Falls Church; four children, Stephen B. Shapbell of Sterling, Vicki Monroe and Debbie Butherus, both of Herndon, and Lisa Grant of Bristow; one sister, Josephine Brescher of Waldorf; and six grandchildren.


Oxon Hill Resident

Virginia Tucker Soresi, 78, an Oxon Hill resident who helped manage her family's farm, died of cancer March 22 at her home.

Mrs. Soresi, a native of Oxon Hill, was a graduate of Oxon Hill High School.

She attended St. Mary's College in St. Mary's County and worked for 10 years as an administrative assistant in the bank examiners office at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

After the death of her father, Hartwell Tucker, in 1951, she oversaw the management of the family's farm, Woodcot Farm, as well as residential and commercial properties in Oxon Hill and Suitland.

Survivors include her husband, Joseph G. Soresi of Oxon Hill; two sons, James P. Soresi and Michael J. Soresi, both of Oxon Hill; and four grandchildren.


Intelligence Analyst

Everett James Burlando, 76, a senior intelligence analyst and Latin American and African specialist who retired in 1994 after 17 years with the Air Force Department, died of a heart ailment March 23 at his home in Spotsylvania, Va.

A resident of the Washington area for 20 years, he moved from Alexandria to Spotsylvania in 1978.

He was a native of Boston and a graduate of the University of Maryland and the National War College. He served in the Army Air Forces in the Galapagos Islands and Brazil during World War II and later retired from the Air Force Reserve as a colonel.

He was chief of the central operations bureau of the training development staff of the Agency for International Development and an intelligence analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency earlier in his career.

He was president of PTAs in Alexandria in the 1970s and the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Air Force Association.

Survivors include his wife, Jean Burlando of Spotsylvania; three children, Robert Burlando and Jean Lawson, both of Charlotte, and Gail Wolfe of Hanover, Va.; a sister, Marjorie Brizzolara of Walpole, Mass.; and six grandchildren.


Animal Husbandry Researcher

Earl W. McComas, 101, an animal husbandry researcher who retired in 1964 after 44 years with the Agricultural Research Service, died of congestive heart failure March 23 at his home in Washington. He had lived in the city since 1920.

He was a specialist in livestock, farm power utilization and beef production. He also trained farm specialists from abroad.

Mr. McComas was born in Stockton, Calif. He was a graduate of the University of California. He served in the Army in France during World War II and returned to active duty during World War II and the Korean War. He retired from the Reserve in 1954 as a lieutenant colonel.

He was a member of the Army-Navy Club, University Club, Sojourners organization of the Masons, Military Order of the World Wars and National Presbyterian Church in Washington.

His first wife, Sarah Newell McComas, died in 1953. Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Charlotte Thompson McComas of Washington; their children, Susan McComas McDonald of Roanoke and Donald McComas of Nashville; and six grandchildren.


IMF Documents Supervisor

Barbara Clinton Taylor, 74, who retired as a documents supervisor in 1978 after about 35 years with the International Monetary Fund, died of a heart ailment March 13 at a hospital in her home town of Osceola, Ark. She moved to a nursing home there six months ago from University Park.

Mrs. Taylor moved to Washington in 1942 to work as a secretary at the War Department.

She was a volunteer at Leland Memorial Hospital.

Her husband, William Taylor, died in 1976. Survivors include a sister, Lou Mitchell of Osceola.