Herbert Brownell, 92, the U.S. attorney general and a top White House adviser and confidant during the first Eisenhower administration, died of cancer May 1 at his home in New York.

Mr. Brownell, the last surviving member of President Dwight D. Eisenhower's original Cabinet, served as attorney general from 1953 to 1957 after having played a critical role in bringing about Gen. Eisenhower's election to the presidency.

In early 1952, with Sen. Robert A. Taft (R-Ohio) already amassing scores of delegates to the Republican National Convention, Mr. Brownell flew to Paris for a quiet meeting with Eisenhower, then the commander of NATO forces. He returned with a message of full speed ahead for Eisenhower's supporters, then outmaneuvered Taft's backers at the GOP convention to win the nomination for Eisenhower.

As attorney general during Eisenhower's first term, Mr. Brownell met with the president at the White House three or four times a week and talked with him almost daily by telephone. He counseled the president on ways to handle the Red-baiting tactics of Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.) and the possible political fallout from the Army-McCarthy hearings, as well as on the international implications of the French colonialist war against the armies of Ho Chi Minh in Indochina.

In the 1957 school desegregation crisis in Little Rock, Mr. Brownell advised the president that he had the constitutional authority and responsibility to call out federal troops to enforce the court's desegregation order and to quell mounting violence. As the top officer of the Justice Department, Mr. Brownell created the civil rights division and played a role in the shaping of the Civil Rights Act of 1957. He also influenced presidential appointments to the federal judiciary, including the nomination of California Gov. Earl Warren as chief justice of the United States. In 1969, Mr. Brownell was among those under consideration to replace Warren as chief justice, but he asked that his name be withdrawn.

Urbane and personable in his demeanor, Mr. Brownell was known for a sharp sense of humor, and he often made himself the butt of his own jokes. Once when the New York Times ran a photograph of him testifying before a congressional committee while wearing a mismatched pair of shoes, Mr. Brownell said he thought the incident was overplayed. He had another pair of shoes at home just like the pair in the picture, he said.

Mr. Brownell was chairman of the Republican National Committee from 1944 to 1946. He was campaign manager for Thomas E. Dewey when Dewey became New York's first Republican governor in 20 years in 1942. He managed Dewey's unsuccessful presidential campaigns in 1944 and 1948.

He was a major influence at Republican Party conventions from 1944 through the 1950s, operating primarily behind the scenes. A New York Times man-in-the-news profile described him as a "quiet tactician whose personal charm and shrewd political instinct made him as hard to dislike as a porpoise but about as deadly as a shark."

Mr. Brownell was born in Peru, Neb. He graduated from the University of Nebraska and received a law degree from Yale University Law School. During the 1930s, he served five years as a Republican member of the New York legislature.

For more than 50 years, he was a partner and counsel with the New York law firm Lord, Day & Lord. At his death, he was senior adviser to the international law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius.

He was the principal author of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, which deals with presidential succession and was ratified in 1967. In 1972 and 1973, Mr. Brownell served as special ambassador to Mexico to resolve a dispute over water rights involving the Colorado River.

From 1987 to 1991, he was vice chairman of the Bicentennial Commission on the U.S. Constitution.

His wife of 35 years, Doris McCarter Brownell, died in 1979.

Survivors include four children, Joan Brownell and Ann Brownell Sloane, both of New York, Thomas McC. Brownell of Morristown, N.J., and James B. Brownell of Philadelphia; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. DONALD D. MUNDELL Teacher and Museum Technician

Donald D. Mundell, 61, a former high school and college teacher who was a technician at the National History Museum's support center in Suitland, died of lymphoma April 21 at George Washington University Hospital. He had lived in Piney Point since 1982.

Mr. Mundell was a native of Denver. He was a graduate of the University of Northern Colorado, where he also received a master's degree in American history and government. He did additional graduate work in the same subjects at Cornell University. He served in the Army during the Korean War.

Mr. Mundell taught high school English and history in Groton, Conn., and Denver. He taught courses that included the social sciences at Northwest Community College in Powell, Wyo., Eisenhower College, Hobart & William Smith College, Baptist College in Charleston, S.C., and the Harry Lundeberg School of Seamanship in Piney Point.

He had worked at the Smithsonian since 1994.

Mr. Mundell was a member of Phi Theta Kappa honorary society, the American Association of University Professors and the American Sociological Association.

His marriage to Helen Mundell ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Pamela Ward Mundell of Piney Point; two children from his first marriage, Bryan Mundell of Milan and Sue Mundell of Washington; two daughters from his second marriage, Ruth Charlotte Mundell and Merry Louise Mundell, both of Piney Point; and his stepmother, Mary E. Mundell of Victoria, Tex. EARL C. HALL JR. Systems Analyst

Earl C. Hall Jr., 65, a former Falls Church resident and systems analyst with Comarco Inc., a consulting firm, died of pneumonia April 16 at a nursing home in Staunton, Va. He had a stroke five years ago.

Mr. Hall was a native of West Grove, Pa., and a graduate of Pennsylvania State University. He served in the Army in Germany during the Korean War.

He operated a greenhouse in West Grove and was a computer programmer at Delaware Trust Co. before moving to the Washington area 20 years ago. He had worked as an instructor at Computer Learning Center and as a programmer analyst with JKJ Inc. and the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission. He moved to Staunton in 1991.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Lucas Hall, and son, Earl A. Hall, both of Staunton; and his mother and two sisters, all of Pennsylvania. KENNETH JUDSON BIGELOW SR. Businessman

Kenneth Judson Bigelow Sr., 78, a former General Motors division head who later became a Washington investment banker, died of pneumonia April 28 at Loudoun Hospital Center in Leesburg. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Bigelow, who lived in Washington from 1960 until 1992, operated Bigelow & Associates, a security investment firm, for six years until his retirement in 1986. Earlier, he headed the Washington office of General Motors aerospace division.

Mr. Bigelow, a native of Farmington, Mich., graduated from General Motors Institute with a degree in mechanical engineering. He joined General Motors' Allison Division and helped produce jet engines during World War II. He worked at the division's offices in Indianapolis and Dayton, Ohio, before he was named to head the Washington office in 1960.

He changed career paths in 1968 when he became an investment banker with the firm White, Weld & Co., which later was bought by Merrill Lynch. In 1992, he moved to Middleburg.

He was an avid golfer and Washington area amateur champion. He was club golfing champion at Columbia Country Club, Congressional Country Club and Burning Tree Club, where he also held the course record. He won the Mid-Atlantic Golf Association Senior Title in 1975 and 1976 and also qualified for the U.S Senior Championships during those years.

His first wife, Ruth Wentworth Caney, died in 1994.

Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Bigelow of Middleburg; three sons from his first marriage, Judson Bigelow of Reno, Nev., Jeffrey Bigelow of Potomac and Kenneth Judson Bigelow Jr. of Austin; a stepson, Scott Triplett of Middleburg; two sisters, Joyce Amos of Brighton, Mich., and Shirley Perazza of Farmington, Mich.; and four grandchildren. ANNE D.E. SWOOPE SLATE Docent

Anne Dudley Evans Swoope Slate, 77, a founding member of the Historic Alexandria Docent Program and a former president of the Armed Forces Hostess Association, died of congestive heart failure April 28 at home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Slate was born in Columbus, Miss., and graduated from the University of Tennessee. During World War II, she was a stenographer for the Air Transport Command in Memphis and Washington.

She accompanied her husband, retired Army Lt. Col. Francis Taylor Slate, on assignments in France, the Philippines and Japan when he was on active duty. They settled in the Washington area in 1954.

As an official of the Armed Forces Hostess Association, Mrs. Slate assisted service personnel and their families with information on reassignment locations around the world.

She was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, United Daughters of the Confederacy, the Colonial Cotillion of Alexandria and St. Andrew of Scotland Anglican Church in Alexandria.

In addition to her husband of 46 years, of Alexandria, survivors include two sons, Air Force Lt. Col. Taylor Ashby Slate of Abilene, Tex., and Dudley Wright Slate of Abingdon, Va.; a sister; and two grandchildren. SARAH J. SALLY' LORD Nurse and Teacher

Sarah J. "Sally" Lord, 61, a former nurse who was a teacher at Academy Child Development Center in Gaithersburg until June, died of cancer May 1 at her home in Gaithersburg. She had lived in the Washington area for 10 years.

Mrs. Lord was a native of Amsterdam, N.Y., and a graduate of Albany Medical School. Starting in the mid-1950s, she was a nurse in Albany and later worked in Endicott, N.Y., and Moses Lake, Wash. She also accompanied her husband to Air Force assignments on Okinawa and in the United States.

Mrs. Lord was a secretary, Sunday school teacher and nursery worker at Faith Baptist Church in Wheaton.

Survivors include her husband of 41 years, Alan Lord of Gaithersburg; four children, Kathleen Heise of Germantown, Karen Murphy of Hickory, N.C., David Lord of Sunrise, Fla., and Dean Lord of Binghamton, N.Y.; a brother, Bruce Masland of Fallston, Md.; and 15 grandchildren. CHARLES LEE BOWERS SR. Accountant

Charles Lee Bowers Sr., 87, who retired in 1969 as a systems accountant with the Federal Aviation Administration, died April 18 at his home in Washington after a stroke. He was a native of Westminster, Md., and had lived in the city for more than 60 years.

Mr. Bowers was a graduate of Western Maryland College and Benjamin Franklin University. He served in the Navy during World War II. He was a government accountant for 28 years at agencies that included the departments of the Treasury, Navy and Air Force. He also worked at the General Accounting Office.

Mr. Bowers was a vestryman, bell ringer, junior warden and accountant at St. Columba's Episcopal Church in Washington.

His wife, Edwina Wise Bowers, died in 1968. Survivors include four children, Charles Lee Bowers Jr. of Alexandria, Brian E. Bowers of Washington, Robin B. Pincock of Potomac and Susan L. Williams of Mount Pleasant, Mich., and nine grandchildren. A son, John D. Bowers, died in 1992.