Frank Waugh McCulloch, 90, chairman of the National Labor Relations Board during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, died of cancer July 9 at a hospice in Charlottesville.

Mr. McCulloch, who had lived in Charlottesville since 1971, was appointed chairman of the five-member NLRB by President John F. Kennedy in 1961 and was reappointed to a second term by President Lyndon B. Johnson. He retired from the board in 1970.

Influenced by the high unemployment and violent labor-management strife of the 1930s, Mr. McCulloch was a believer in the concept of industrial democracy, said Cornell University professor James A. Gross, author of a 1995 analysis of U.S. labor policy. "Through his leadership, those boards . . . came closer to accomplishing the objective {of the Labor Relations Act} than any of the boards since 1947."

In many of its rulings during his chairmanship, the NLRB was split into a liberal wing, composed of Mr. McCulloch, John H. Fanning and Gerald A. Brown, and a conservative side, composed of Philip Ray Rodgers and Boyd Leedom, both appointees of the Eisenhower administration.

One of the rulings narrowed the circumstances in which a union could attempt to displace another union as bargaining agent for workers during the term of a labor contract.

Mr. McCulloch was not necessarily pro-labor on all issues, his supporters said. It was uncharacteristic for him to take doctrinaire positions on union matters, friends recalled. Mr. McCulloch often dismissed the labels "pro-labor" and "pro-management," saying he was neither, just pro-employee, said his son Frank H. "Scot" McCulloch II, a senior counsel at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.

Still, Mr. McCulloch's selection to head the board was welcomed by union leaders. He was known in union circles for his meetings with church groups on labor problems, for creation of a program at Chicago's Roosevelt College to train union members in social affairs and as a top staff assistant to Sen. Paul H. Douglas (D-Ill.), a leading liberal spokesman.

Mr. McCulloch, a lawyer by training, gained a reputation for incisive legal analysis and persuasion. In a speech before business and industrial leaders in 1964, he called for greater understanding and "constructive cooperation" in voluntary compliance with the Labor Relations Act. He said the bulk of complaints filed with his agency "are in clear areas of interference, restraint and coercion, discrimination and refusal to bargain."

"I refused to believe," he said, "that the genius which has produced America's industry is unable to achieve far greater labor relations stability."

After leaving the NLRB, Mr. McCulloch joined the law faculty at the University of Virginia. That same year, he was appointed to the Public Review Board of the United Auto Workers union, a position he held until 1988.

From 1974 to 1985, he was a member of the Committee of Experts of the International Labor Organization, a United Nations agency.

He was born in Evanston, Ill., to parents who were both lawyers. He graduated from Williams College and received a law degree from Harvard University. As a young man, he practiced law in Chicago and became active in social settlement work.

During his years as an administrative assistant to Douglas, he helped draft and handle labor, welfare and other legislation, including the Douglas-Kennedy-Ives bill, which regulated employee welfare-pension funds.

In 1953, he was appointed industrial relations secretary of the Council for Social Action of the Congregational-Christian Church, a post he held until 1946.

He was a skilled mountain climber and guide and a lifetime member of the Canadian Alpine Club.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Edith Forrest Leverton McCulloch of Charlottesville; two sons, Frank, of Chevy Chase, and William H. McCulloch of Chapel Hill, N.C.; and three grandsons. F. ROBERT MEIER Common Cause Official

F. Robert Meier, 80, the founding treasurer and retired senior management advisor of the public interest group Common Cause, died of a heart ailment July 8 at his home in Cincinnati.

Mr. Meier also had served as vice president for finance during 23 years with the organization. After he retired in 1993, he was a member of the board and a volunteer adviser.

Mr. Meier was a graduate of DePauw University and did graduate work in public administration at the University of Cincinnati. He began his career as an intern with the police department in his native Cincinnati, where he later was regional business manager for the Labor Department and research director of the U.S. Navy Finance Center. He worked for Cleveland Mayor Anthony J. Celebrezze, and then accompanied Celebrezze to Washington in 1962 when the mayor was named secretary of Health, Education and Welfare.

Mr. Meier later worked for HEW Secretary John W. Gardner and then joined Gardner at the Urban Coalition and at Common Cause, which Gardner founded.

Mr. Meier also had been treasurer and senior management adviser of Handgun Control Inc. and the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence and a management consultant to the Advocacy Institute.

He was a member of New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington and the Mohican Hills Civic Association in Bethesda, where he lived before moving back to Cincinnati in 1993. In addition, he played cello in chamber music groups.

Survivors include his wife, Clare Meier of Cincinnati; two sons, Frank R. Meier of Cleveland and George Allison Meier of Oakland, Calif.; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren DALLAS MORSE COORS Commerce Department Official

Dallas Morse Coors, 78, who retired in 1972 as director of developing countries trade promotion at the Commerce Department, died of cancer July 7 at a hospital in Newport, R.I., where he had a summer home. He had lived in Washington since the early 1940s.

Mr. Coors, a grandson of Adolph Coors, founder of the Coors brewery corporation, was a native of Colorado and a graduate of Cornell University. He began his career as a Foreign Service officer in the 1940s in India. He later served in Saigon and wrote a study of the opium trade in Indochina.

He was a representative of the Bank of America in Korea, Japan and Washington before joining the Commerce Department in 1967.

He was a member of the Washington Opera Society, the Washington Performing Arts Society, the University Club, the F Street Club, the Annapolis Yacht Club and the boards of the Newport Music Festival, the Putney School and the Human Rights Campaign Fund.

His marriage to Sophia Rachmaninoff Wolkonsky ended in divorce. Survivors include a brother, Robert Coors of Palos Verdes, Calif. THEODORE R. WADE SR. Elevator Operator

Theodore R. Wade Sr., 90, an elevator operator who was a well-known figure at the District Building for nearly four decades, died of pneumonia July 3 at Providence Hospital.

Mr. Wade, who retired in 1979, was a native of Waldorf and a resident of Washington. He did odd jobs before being hired at the District Building, now called the John A. Wilson Building, in 1941. From his elevator, he watched a sleepy town grow into a bustling city.

Over the years, he developed friendships with many officials, contacts that proved useful when he found someone distressed about city services. He told The Washington Post in 1979 of the time he came across a woman who was crying because the city had turned off her water. Mr. Wade relayed the woman's story to then-Mayor Walter E. Washington, who made a phone call and had the water restored.

By the time the elevators were automated in 1978, Mr. Wade was among the last of his profession in Washington. At Mr. Wade's retirement, Mayor Washington said that he had "made everybody feel they were something special. He was a psychologist, sociologist, economist, all wrapped up in one."

Mr. Wade was a founding member of the Plutocrats Club, a men's social and civic group, and a member of the Kiwanis Club in Langley Park.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Josephine H. Wade of Washington, and a sister, Bertha Jones of St. Davids, Pa. OLIVER E. PFEIFFER Photographer

Oliver E. Pfeiffer, 84, an award-winning photographer who retired in 1976 after 25 years with the U.S. Information Agency, died of a blood disorder June 14 at Alexandria Hospital. A resident of the Washington area for more than 45 years, he had lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Pfeiffer was a native of Lawrence, Mass. He worked for an advertising agency and as a freelance photographer before World War II. He served in the Navy in the South Pacific during the war.

Mr. Pfeiffer initially worked in Washington for the State Department and photographed several state visits for USIA.

He won first-place awards from the National Press Photographers Association, the Rochester International Pictorial Gold Medal, the Kodak World and Its People Sterling Silver Medal, the Freedom Foundation Gold Medal and two Marine International Bell trophies.

Mr. Pfeiffer was a fellow of the Photographic Society of America, which gave him its lifetime achievement award, and news editor of its photojournalism division. He lectured on photography, wrote articles and judged more than 250 competitions.

He was co-founder and president of the Greater Washington Council of Camera Clubs and a member of the Northern Virginia Photographic Society.

His wife, Hulda Pfeiffer, died in 1967.

Survivors include a daughter, Patricia Salamone of Waltham, Mass., and a sister, Grace Whitman of Hampton, N.H. RICHARD W. KURRUS Lawyer

Richard W. Kurrus, 71, a lawyer who was a former government attorney and House committee staff director, died of cancer July 6 at his home in Potomac.

Mr. Kurrus, a Massachusetts native, served in the Army's 10th Mountain division in the Aleutians and in the Mediterranean theater during World War II, receiving four Bronze Stars and the Combat Infantryman's Badge. After the war, he graduated cum laude from Harvard University, where he also received a law degree.

He came to Washington in 1952. He worked for the old Federal Maritime Board before entering the private practice of law in 1954. He specialized in maritime, corporate and regulatory law.

In 1969, he served for a time as chief counsel and staff director of the House Select Committee on Crime. He then returned to private practice and had been semi-retired for about the last year.

Mr. Kurrus was a member of Congressional Country Club, the Georgetown Club, the Capitol Hill Club and the National Democratic Club.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, the former Dorothy Mason, of Potomac; a son, Robert, of Tampa; three daughters, Claudia Leas of Damascus, Kathleen Balogh of Boyds and Jennifer Kroening of Littleton, Mass.; and 11 grandchildren.

Another son, Richard Jr., died in 1963.