Edwin H. Friedman, 64, founding rabbi of the Bethesda Jewish Congregation and a family therapist for 30 years, died of a heart attack Oct. 31 at his Bethesda home.

He lectured nationally and conducted training programs at his Center for Family Process in Bethesda about the interlocking nature of work and family. He pioneered in the application of family theory to religious, medical, education, business and governmental institutions.

Dr. Friedman was a native of New York and a graduate of Bucknell University. He also studied at American University and Hebrew University in Jerusalem and received a doctorate in divinity from Hebrew Union College.

He moved to the Washington area in 1959 to be a rabbi at Temple Shalom in Chevy Chase. He left Temple Shalom during the administration of President Lyndon B. Johnson to work as a community relations specialist in the White House office of the first lady.

The Bethesda Jewish Congregation was founded in 1966, and he served as rabbi until 1979.

He was the author of "Generation to Generation," a collection of essays about family process in religious organizations, "Friedman's Fables" and "A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix," which is to be published next year.

Dr. Friedman was a charter member of the American Family Therapy Academy, a fellow of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy and a diplomate of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Carlyn B. Friedman of Bethesda, and two children, Shira Friedman of San Francisco and Ari Friedman of Rochester, N.Y.



George Waller Wise, 81, a Washington lawyer and partner in the firm of Hogan & Hartson who retired in 1983, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 5 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Wise was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and George Washington University, from which he also received a law degree. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

He worked for 17 years in the antitrust division of the Justice Department before joining Hogan & Hartson in 1955. He became a partner with the firm in 1963. In retirement, he divided his time between his homes in McLean and Duck, N.C. He was a former president of the Fairfax Hunt and member of the Army & Navy Club. Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Lillian Wise of McLean; two sons, Bert Wise of Destin, Fla., and Eric Wise of Arlington; and three grandchildren.


Secretary and Innkeeper

Edna "Pat" Garrison, 85, a secretary at Arlington Hospital in the 1960s who also managed a summer inn in Massachusetts, died Nov. 5 at an assisted living facility in Venice, Fla. She had suffered strokes and had osteoporosis. Mrs. Garrison lived in the Washington area from 1942 until the mid-1970s, when she moved from Arlington to Florida. She was a native of Arlington, Mass., and she had accompanied her first husband, Schuyler S. Pyle, to Navy posts in the United States. He died in 1962. Mrs. Garrison, a graduate of the Lewis Hotel Training School, was innkeeper of the Chicataubut Inn at Rockport, Mass., in the 1960s. She was president of the Professional Business Women's Club of Arlington, a member of Peace Lutheran Church in Alexandria and a volunteer with Annandale Christian Community for Action. Survivors include her husband, Ellison C. Garrison of Venice; three daughters from her first marriage, Pat Dozier of Falls Church, Mary Coronado of Los Gatos, Calif., and Shelley Mills of Studio City, Calif.; a stepdaughter, Gale Garvin of Washington Grove; seven grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.


Rockville Resident

Rose Hinden, 94, a resident of Rockville since 1987, died of renal failure Nov. 3 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington.

Mrs. Hinden was born in Elmira, N.Y. As a young woman, she moved to New York City, where she worked as a secretary.

She lived most of her life in the Rockaway Park section of Queens.

Her husband, Edward I. Hinden, died in 1985.

Survivors include a son, Stanley J. Hinden of Silver Spring; a sister, Fannie Spivak of Brooklyn, N.Y.; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.


Airplane Pilot

David B. McInturff, 77, an aircraft pilot who retired from USAir in 1979, died Oct. 31 at Alexandria Hospital. He had heart ailments. Mr. McInturff, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Unicoi, Tenn. He graduated from East Tennessee State University. During World War II, he was a pilot with the Army's Air Transport Command. After the war, he was pilot with American Airlines in New York for six years, then joined USAir. He moved to the Washington area in 1956. He was a member of Washington Street United Methodist Church in Alexandria and Belle Haven Country Club. Survivors include his wife, Doris H. McInturff of Alexandria; and two sisters, Louise Robinson of Chattanooga and Elizabeth McInturff of Knoxville, Tenn.


Mechanical Engineer

Harold Browning, 81, a mechanical engineer who worked 36 years for the Department of the Navy before retiring in 1974, died Nov. 5 at Rockville Nursing Home of complications after a stroke.

Mr. Browning, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Chicago. He graduated from City College of New York.

In 1938, he moved to the Washington area and began his career with the Navy Department. After retiring, he was a consultant for George Sharp Inc.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Rose Schneider Browning of Silver Spring; four children, Janice Mintz of Rockville, Roger Browning of Rockville, Gail Browning of Coconut Creek, Fla., and Barbara Shyloski of Greensboro, N.C.; and six grandchildren.