Helen Ballantine Ferguson, 80, a student of art history, a world traveler and the widow of a former U.S. ambassador to Morocco, died of pneumonia April 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had emphysema.
Mrs. Ferguson was born in Boston. She attended Vassar College, where she majored in art history and was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society. She graduated in 1939.
As an undergraduate, she wrote a paper on the dimensions of the Medici Chapel in Florence, Italy, that remains a standard work on the proportions of that famous building. She later studied art history in New York City.
In 1941, Mrs. Ferguson and her husband, John H. Ferguson, whom she married in 1940, moved to Washington. During World War II, she was employed by the Chinese government on supply matters.
In 1954, the family moved to Paris, where John Ferguson practiced law and served on a number of committees connected with NATO and the Common Market. In 1962, President John F. Kennedy appointed him ambassador to Morocco, and the Fergusons lived in Rabat until 1965, when they returned to Washington.
Mrs. Ferguson was a talented linguist. In addition to English, she spoke fluent French and was comfortable in German and Italian. Before leaving Morocco, she gave a news conference in Arabic. During a trip to the Soviet Union in the early 1960s, she learned enough Russian to get around without the assistance of an interpreter. She did the same with Mandarin during a trip to China in the 1980s.
In the late 1960s, her husband was stricken with kidney ailments, and Mrs. Ferguson became one of the first laypersons trained to give dialysis treatments at home. John Ferguson died in 1970.
Mrs. Ferguson maintained a residence in the south of France as well as her home in Washington. She was a member of the American Cathedral in Paris and St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square, in Washington. She also was a member of the Vassar Club of Washington.
Survivors include two children, Sarah Brown of Gordes, France, and Sheppard Ferguson of Cambridge, Mass.; a brother, John W. Ballantine of New York City; and three grandchildren. LANGHORNE H. BRICKWEDDE Physicist
Langhorne H. Brickwedde, 87, a physicist at the former National Bureau of Standards from 1931 to 1957 who helped establish international standards for dry cell batteries, died of congestive heart failure April 16 at the Fairways of Brookline Village nursing home in State College, Pa.
Mrs. Brickwedde was born in Clearwater, S.C. She grew up in Augusta, Ga. She graduated from the University of Georgia, where she was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society, in 1929, and she received a master's degree in physics from Georgia in 1930.
She then moved to Washington. She taught physics at George Washington University for a year before joining the staff of the National Bureau of Standards, now the National Institute of Standards and Technology. She worked on dry cell battery standards until 1957, when she moved to State College.
In the late 1940s and early 1950s, Mrs. Brickwedde also had assignments at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.
Mrs. Brickwedde taught physics at Pennsylvania State University in State College from 1963 until retiring in 1974.
She was a member of the Philosophical Society of Washington, the Eistophos Science Club of Washington, the American Association of University Women, the American Association of Physics Teachers and the American Chemical Society.
Her husband, Ferdinand Graft Brickwedde, died in 1989.
Survivors include two daughters, Ruth Brickwedde Cooper of Des Moines and Langhorne Virginia Brickwedde of State College; a sister, Ruth Howard Harvey of Irvington, Va.; and two grandsons. GREGORIO del REAL Inter-American Bank Official
Gregorio del Real, 86, a retired official of the Inter-American Development Bank and a former lawyer and government official in Cuba who fled the Castro regime in 1961, died of a heart attack April 15 at George Washington University Medical Center.
Mr. del Real was born in Cienfuegos, Cuba. He was educated at the University of Havana, where he received doctorates in political science, economics and law.
In the course of his career in Havana, he practiced law, worked for the secretariat of the Cuban central bank and served as director of the Cuban Agricultural and Industrial Development Bank. He also was general counsel of the Cuban Bankers Association, a law professor at the University of Havana and a member of the Cuban Maritime Commission.
Mr. del Real, a resident of Bethesda, had lived in the Washington area since 1961. From 1962 to 1965, he worked for the Organization of American States. He then joined the staff of the Inter-American Development Bank, where he was deputy chief of the technical assistance division when he retired in 1976.
His wife, Bebe del Real, died in 1996.
Survivors include four children, Ica del Real, an information specialist at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid, Juan del Real of Chevy Chase, Greg del Real of Upper Marlboro and Carlos del Real of Damascus; and seven grandchildren. ARAX EHRAMJIAN GILLCRIST Kennedy Center Tour Guide
Arax Ehramjian Gillcrist, 78, a former Navy WAVES officer who had been a volunteer tour guide for the Kennedy Center for the last 20 years, died April 14 at Carl Vinson Hall in McLean of complications of a stroke she suffered two years ago. She had lived in the Washington area since the late 1970s.
Mrs. Gillcrist, a New York City native, was a graduate of Rollins College. She taught physical education and health at St. Vincent College and received a master's degree in psychology from Columbia University. She joined the WAVES in 1942 and worked in recruitment and training until her discharge after World War II. Later, she married John A. Gillcrist, who retired from the Navy as a captain, and accompanied him to bases across the United States.
After moving to Washington, she became a volunteer tour guide with the Kennedy Center and conducted her last tour the morning of her death.
She was a member of St. John's Parish in McLean.
Her husband died in 1988.
Survivors include four children, John A. Gillcrist Jr. of Jacksonville, Fla., Helen T. Gillcrist of Boston, James M. Gillcrist of Athens, Ga., and Thomas E. Gillcrist of Hampton, Va.; a brother; a sister; and six grandchildren. GAYLE BEHRMAN JASTER Actress and Director
Gayle Behrman Jaster, 47, an actress and director who worked at Round House Theatre in Silver Spring from 1975 to 1982 and later acted and directed for a number of local theaters, died of cancer April 15 at her home in Rockville.
Mrs. Jaster, a native of Princeton, N.J., graduated from the University of North Carolina. She moved to the Washington area in 1975 and worked with the Street 70 mime troupe before joining Round House Theatre.
She appeared in the 1987 production of "Quilters" at the Castle theater in Hyattsville and won a 1988 Mary Goldwater award from the Theatre Lobby, a local group, for her work.
In the early 1990s, she directed the annual Washington Christmas Revels at Lisner Auditorium and staged two productions with the Philadelphia band Piffaro.
Survivors include her husband of 16 years, Mark Jaster; and their three children, Kyle, Emma and Wyatt, all of Rockville; her parents, Jack and Louise Behrman of Chapel Hill, N.C.; a sister; and a brother. OLIVETTE L. HALLUIN Longtime Washington Resident
Olivette L. Halluin, 97, who had lived in Washington since 1928 and whose 70-year marriage was the subject of a 1988 Washington Post Style section article, died of congestive heart failure April 12 at what had been her home since 1944.
Mrs. Halluin, a Pennsylvania native, moved to Washington a decade after her 1918 marriage. In 1988, on Valentine's Day, she and her husband shared insights into a lasting marriage in The Post.
She was a member of Palisades Community Church in Washington and often volunteered at bake sales and helped with other fund-raising. During the 1920s and 1930s, she gave ukulele lessons.
She was a member of the Order of Eastern Stars.
Her husband, Jules A. Halluin, died in 1989.
Survivors include a sister, Bess Zeltwanger of Du Bois, Pa.; two grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren. A son, William O. Halluin, died in 1984. JEAN S. FOX Nurse
Jean S. Fox, 72, who worked as a nurse at Holy Cross Hospital for 13 years before retiring in 1983, died of brain cancer April 16 at her home in Wheaton.
Mrs. Fox, a native of La Salle, Ill., was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and later worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital. After her 1947 marriage to Dr. Lay M. Fox, she accompanied him to Navy hospitals across the country.
She moved to Washington in 1963 and later joined Holy Cross Hospital, where she worked in the intensive care nursery. After becoming ill, she campaigned for wheelchair access ramps throughout the Wheaton area.
She was a member of St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Wheaton.
Survivors include her husband, of Wheaton; six children, Chris Fox of Rochester, N.Y., Kitty Hessler of Austin, Tex., Peter Fox of San Antonio, Emily Fox of Gaithersburg, Andrew Fox of Saipan Island and James Fox of Iowa City; a brother; and 14 grandchildren. LEONARD DeCHAMPS Editor and Publisher
Leonard DeChamps, 48, editor and publisher of American Weekly Newspaper, died of cancer March 30 at the Washington Hospice.
Mr. DeChamps was born in Harlem. He was a civil rights activist and from 1972 to 1975 was president of the youth division of the Congress of Racial Equality.
He had worked for Rep. Adam Clayton Powell (D-N.Y.) and with civil rights leaders Joseph Lowery and James Farmer.
In 1980, he settled in Washington. He was a media consultant.
In 1983, he founded American Magazine, which he operated until 1987, when he started American Weekly Newspaper.
Survivors include his father, Edgar DeChamps of New York, and three sisters, Delores Chapman, Linda DeChamps and Jenette DeChamps, all of New York. LUCY GALEANO KASMIR NRC Manager
Lucy Galeano Kasmir, 55, manager of a translation program at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, died of cancer April 15 at the Shady Grove Adventist Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. She lived in Bethesda.
Mrs. Kasmir worked on translations for reactor-safety initiatives with foreign countries.
She was a graduate of a teachers college in her native Bogota, where she was director of a primary school before moving to Chevy Chase in the early 1970s. She was a teaching assistant at a Montessori school before joining NRC in 1981.
She was a member of Temple Sinai in Washington.
Her husband, Sidney Kasmir, died in the early 1980s.
Survivors include a son, Max Charles Kasmir of Bethesda; three sisters; and four brothers. FRANCES G. CANNON Restaurateur
Frances G. Cannon, 84, who helped her husband operate Cannon's Steakhouse on Fifth Street NE from 1933 to 1970, died of renal failure April 16 at the Manor Care nursing home in Potomac. She had suffered strokes and heart disease.
Mrs. Cannon, a former resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Washington. She was a graduate of Eastern High School.
She was a member of North Chevy Chase Christian Church.
Her husband, Thomas A. Cannon, died in 1980. Survivors include two children, Mary Jane Carney of Albany, N.Y., and Thomas A. Cannon Jr. of Chevy Chase; a sister, Jane Ellen Cowan of Potomac; and three grandchildren. MICHELLE VICTORIA COX Student
Michelle Victoria Cox, 18, a lifelong resident of Woodbridge who was a student at Independent Hill School, died of a neurological ailment April 16 at Potomac Hospital.
She was a member of First Baptist Church in Woodbridge.
Survivors include her parents, Melodie and David Cox, both of Woodbridge; a sister; a brother; and her grandparents, William D. Peed and Edith Peed, both of Woodbridge, and Viola Cox-Goolsby of Spotsylvania, Va. KURT H. JANSOHN TV Repair Shop Owner
Kurt H. Jansohn, 54, owner since the mid-1970s of Kurt's TV repair shop in Friendly, died April 13 at Fort Washington Medical Center after collapsing at his home in Friendly. The cause of death was unknown and is under investigation by the Maryland medical examiner.
Mr. Jansohn was a native of Mamel, Germany, whose family immigrated to the United States in 1949 and settled in Washington. After graduating from Anacostia High School, he worked as a television technician for firms that included George's TV.
His marriage to Margo Jansohn ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Catherine Smith-Jansohn of Friendly; two children from his first marriage, Jerrold Jansohn of Columbia and Sherry Hall of Parkland, Fla.; a stepdaughter, Brendamarie Bottorf of Waldorf; a brother; and a grandson. ELEANOR KULP ANKENY Former Lusby Resident
Eleanor Kulp Ankeny, 93, a former resident of Lusby, died April 16 at the Manor Care nursing facility in Chevy Chase after a stroke.
She was a native of Ehrenfield, Pa., who moved to the Washington area in 1948. She was a member of Middleham Episcopal Chapel in Lusby, the American Legion Auxiliary, the Solomons Island Bridge Group and the American Association of Retired Persons. Her husband, Marling Jay Ankeny, died in 1977. Survivors include two daughters, Eleanor Ann Murray of Kensington and Jacquline J. Justice of Lusby; eight grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.