Mary Dublin Keyserling, 87, a renowned economist who was former director of the Women's Bureau in the Department of Labor and whose book, "Windows on Day Care," launched a national debate over publicly funded day-care facilities, died June 11 at Arleigh Burke Pavilion in McLean. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Keyserling, a Washington resident for 57 years, began her career in economics as professor of economics at Sarah Lawrence College. She later became executive director of the New York-based National Consumers League.

In 1940, she moved to Washington with her husband, economist Leon Keyserling, who later served as head of the Council of Economic Advisers in the Truman administration.

During World War II, Mrs. Keyserling was an assistant to Eleanor Roosevelt at the Office of Civilian Defense, serving as its chief of the Research and Statistics Division.

She later worked at the Department of Commerce as chief of the International Economic Analysis Division.

Serving in that capacity, she became enmeshed in the Communist-in-government hunting tactics of Wisconsin's Republican Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy in 1952. In a Senate speech, McCarthy accused Mrs. Keyserling of having belonged to "an unlimited number of communist fronts." Her husband, McCarthy declared, had once been approached to join the Communist Party.

Speaking for both of them, Leon Keyserling denied McCarthy's accusations. His wife and he were both "bitterly opposed" to communism, Leon Keyserling said. Nevertheless, Mrs. Keyserling was put on leave from her government job while the charges were investigated.

She subsequently was cleared and reinstated, but then resigned on the last day of the Truman presidency.

In 1953, the Keyserlings founded the Conference on Economic Progress, a consulting firm that counted among its clients foreign governments, private businesses and labor organizations.

Leon Keyserling died in 1987.

While with the consulting firm, Mrs. Keyserling served as a member of the Advisory Committee on Child Development of the National Academy of Sciences, president of the Women's National Democratic Club and chairwoman of the District of Columbia's Commission on the Status of Women.

In 1964, President Johnson appointed Mrs. Keyserling to head the Labor Department's Women's Bureau, a position she held for five years. Of her tenure, Johnson later wrote, "Under your guidance, equality of opportunity for women has advanced tremendously."

After leaving the Labor Department, Mrs. Keyserling became a consulting economist and was active in the day-care development field. She participated in a 1970 White House conference on day care and did research and lectured widely on the subject.

She called day care, in an era of growing participation among women in the work force, an unrecognized national responsibility. She said young working mothers faced "appalling difficulty" in finding places to care for their children.

Mrs. Keyserling was also vice chairman of a D.C. mayor's advisory panel that recommended in 1971 that Junior Village, the city's center for neglected children, be closed and the children removed.

Mrs. Keyserling was active in a coalition that, starting in 1970, worked to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment. That often-proposed amendment to the Constitution ultimately was passed by Congress but was not ratified by a sufficient number of states. Mrs. Keyserling said protective laws should be kept on the books and said she considered it "romantic folly" to believe in a "women's lib solution" to the problems of social equality.

She was one of the first women elected to membership in the Cosmos Club, in recognition of her contributions to the fields of economics, social welfare and women's and children's issues.

Mrs. Keyserling was born in New York. She graduated from Barnard College and did doctoral studies in economics at Columbia University and the London School of Economics.

Survivors include her brothers, Dr. Thomas D. Dublin of Washington and Amos Dublin of Norwich, Vt. HAROLD GORDON SWAIN Biology Teacher

Harold Gordon Swain, 84, who was a biology teacher at Mount Vernon High School for 21 years before retiring in 1977, died of pneumonia June 9 at Potomac Hospital. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Swain, who was born in Coffee County, Ala., graduated from what is now Troy State University, where he also received a master's degree in industrial arts. He taught at high schools in Alabama and Florida before moving to the Washington area in 1957.

After his retirement, he moved to Florida but returned to the Washington area last year.

He was a member of Woodlawn Baptist Church in Alexandria.

His first wife, Katherine Moody Swain, died in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Wayne Brown Swain, of Jack, Ala.; two children from his first marriage, John Thomas Swain of Alexandria and Linda Swain Smith of Tucson; a brother; a sister; 11 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. PHILIPPE MONSABRE NEFF Lawyer

Philippe Monsabre Neff, 75, a lawyer who retired in the 1980s from the Interstate Commerce Commission after more than 40 years with the office of the special counsel, died of cancer June 8 at his home in Bethesda.

He was born in Paris and raised in Washington, where he graduated from Western High School, now the Ellington School of the Arts. He was a graduate of Georgetown University, where he also received his law degree and served as a tennis coach. He continued to play championship tennis later in life.

He worked part time for Geico after he retired.

His wife, Marianne Hugus Neff, died in 1984.

Survivors include two children, Lisa Dowdy of Bethesda and Philip H. Neff of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; two sisters; and a grandson. KENNETH R. MILLER Loan Processor

Kenneth R. Miller, 36, an Alexandria resident who worked as a loan processor at the Navy Federal Credit Union in Vienna, apparently drowned in the Potomac River in Washington. He had been reported missing since June 4. His body was recovered June 8, and his death appears to be a suicide by drowning, according to a spokesman for the D.C. police.

A day after Mr. Miller was reported missing, his car was found abandoned at Lady Bird Johnson Park with his keys and wallet inside. Mr. Miller suffered from depression and had talked of suicide in the days before he disappeared, according to his father, Robert H. Miller, of Alexandria.

Mr. Miller was born in Madison, Wis., and moved to Alexandria with his parents at the age of 2. He graduated from T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria and Virginia Tech. He worked for Continental Federal Savings and Loan Association in Fairfax for a year before joining the Navy Federal Credit Union in 1985.

His interests included playing keyboard, guitar and sax and collecting model trains and miniature cars.

In addition to his father, survivors include his mother, Vivian E. Miller, of Alexandria, and a sister, Marie L. Pasti of Rockville. LOUISE DUDLEY DRENNON BARTLETT Volunteer

Louise Dudley Drennon Bartlett, 81, who was a volunteer at the White House correspondence office during the Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon administrations, died of pneumonia June 6 at the Towanda Memorial Hospital in Pennsylvania. A longtime Chevy Chase resident, she lived in Wyalusing, Pa., since 1976.

Mrs. Bartlett, who was born in Frankfort, Ky., moved to Washington as a young child. She graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University. In the 1930s, she worked as a secretary first for the National Recovery Administration and then at the State Department.

Mrs. Bartlett moved to Chevy Chase in 1952 and became a member of Chevy Chase Methodist Church, where she was active in its Women's Club and Fellowship Class. She was also a counselor for the Methodist Youth Fellowship.

Survivors include her husband of 61 years, Orrin Hill Bartlett of Bethesda; two daughters, Joan Bartlett Reynolds of Rockville and Susan Bartlett Burke of Bethesda; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. ELIZABETH SHERMAN COWLES Political Activist

Elizabeth Sherman Cowles, 92, who had been active in political and patriotic organizations during 25 years in Washington, died of a heart ailment May 26 at a nursing home in Wellesley, Mass.

Mrs. Cowles, a former resident of Connecticut, New York and Massachusetts, moved to Washington in the 1960s.

She had been manager of the Christian Beacon office at the National Press Building, and she was women's director for High Frontier, a political and patriotic organization.

During World War II, she was director of women's programs at Electric Boat Co. in Groton, Conn.

About six years ago, she moved from Washington to Wellesley.

She was born in Brookline, Mass.

Her marriages to Parker Goss and Mark Cowles ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children from her first marriage, Betty Jane Conant of Weston, Mass., Sally-Ann Clark of River Vale, N.J., and Sherman Goss of Leesburg, Fla.; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. DANIEL EDWARD WALSH Washington Native

Daniel Edward Walsh, 81, a Washington native who worked in his family's real estate business for the last 50 years, died of heart ailments June 12 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Walsh graduated from Gonzaga High School and Catholic University. He then joined Thomas D. Walsh Inc., a real estate property management firm named after and founded by his father.

Survivors include three brothers, Thomas M. Walsh of Washington, Edward J. Walsh of Reston and John F. Walsh of Chevy Chase.