Billie Dove, 97, one of the leading ladies of the silent movie era and a former Ziegfeld Follies dancer, died of pneumonia Dec. 31 at the hospital of the Motion Picture & Television Fund.

In her 12-year career, during which she was billed as "The American Beauty," she made 36 silent films and 12 talkies. But she missed out on the big one, turning down the role of Belle Watling in "Gone With the Wind."

Her greatest success came in 1926 as Douglas Fairbanks's leading lady in the epic "The Black Pirate." She appeared in dozens of silent and early sound films, including "The Marriage Clause" (1926); "Kid Boots" (1926), with Eddie Cantor and Clara Bow; "An American Beauty" (1927), which became her signature film; and "Heart of a Follies Girl" (1928).

In 1930, Miss Dove was involved in a scandal when producer Howard Hughes, then in the process of his own divorce, reportedly paid her husband, film director Irving Willat, $300,000 to divorce her. He also bought her contract from First National Pictures.

Although they never married, Miss Dove and Hughes lived together for three years. She made two movies, "The Age for Love" (1931) and "Cock of the Air" (1932), for his film company.

Miss Dove, born Lillian Bohny in New York, became a child model at age 10. Florenz Ziegfeld saw her picture on a billboard for Emulsified Coconut Oil, traced her to the studio where she was modeling and snapped her up for his "Midnight Frolics" show in 1917. She remained with the Follies for two years and was its highest-paid chorine.

Miss Dove was cast in her first major movie role in "Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford" in 1921 and moved to Hollywood with her mother a year later.

She made her talking-picture debut in "Careers" in 1933, and her last starring film was "Blondie of the Follies" in 1934. But none of her 12 talking movies had as much impact on audiences as her silent screen appearances did.

Miss Dove married her second husband, oil executive Robert Kenaston, in 1933. The couple had a son, Robert, and adopted a daughter, Gail. Kenaston died in 1973, and later that year, Miss Dove married architect John Miller, but the marriage was brief.

Miss Dove made a brief return to the screen in 1962 to play a bit part in "Diamond Head."

In a 1994 article in the magazine Classic Images, Miss Dove said of her early retirement from show business: "I thought I had attained everything I wanted to attain, and I wanted to do like other people. I wanted a family. I had seen some of the other girls try to hang on to their careers after they had started to slide. I vowed that would never happen to me."

Survivors include her daughter, Gail Adelson of Los Angeles, and a grandson. S. WALTER SHINE Lawyer and Businessman

S. Walter Shine, 77, a former Washington tax lawyer who was co-owner in the 1950s and 1960s of the first Toys R Us stores, died of renal failure Dec. 10 at a hospital in Palm Beach, Fla. A resident of the Washington area for more than 25 years, he moved to North Palm Beach from Bethesda in 1970.

Mr. Shine and his former brother-in-law, Charles Lazarus, were partners in six children's furniture and toys stores in the Washington area, starting with the Children's Supermart at Fifth and K streets NW. The business spread to six stores in the area and was renamed Toys R Us.

After the company was acquired by Interstate Stores in 1966, Lazarus was chief executive until 1994. He continues as chairman of the board of Toys R Us, which has more than 1,000 stores worldwide.

Mr. Shine was a native of New York and a graduate of New York University. He received a law degree from Georgetown University. Early in his career, he worked for the Office of Price Administration. He was special assistant to the attorney general in the tax division of the Justice Department for nine years before becoming tax counsel to the law firm of Danzansky & Dickey in 1954.

Mr. Shine was a charter member of the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington. His civil rights work included writing the brief in a landmark restaurant desegregation case for Washington. He also compiled three bibliographies on the work of writer John D. MacDonald and wrote articles for Southern Boating magazine.

His marriage to Marion Lazarus ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Jean Shine of North Palm Beach; three children from his first marriage, Carolyn Shine of Philadelphia, Douglas Shine of Jacksonville, Fla., and Frank Shine of San Diego; a sister; and two grandchildren. HENRY GOODFELLOW HUNT Architect

Henry Goodfellow Hunt, 90, a retired architect who was a native of Washington, died Dec. 31 at Loudoun Hospital Center. He had suffered a heart attack and had pneumonia.

Mr. Hunt was a graduate of the Woodberry Forest School in Orange, Va., and Yale University. He was an architect in Salisbury, Md., and a federal housing planner in Washington in the 1930s and 1940s. He served in the Navy during World War II.

He lived in Connecticut from 1948 to 1996, when he returned to the Washington area to live at the Sunrise at Countryside retirement facility in Sterling.

His wife, Louise Bullard Hart Hunt, died in 1987. Survivors include a son, William H.G. Hunt of Leesburg; and two grandsons. JOSEPH A. JACK' TODD Foreign Service Officer

Joseph A. "Jack" Todd, 81, a retired Foreign Service officer who lived in the Washington area off and on from 1946 to 1970, died of a heart attack Dec. 20 at his home in Fairhope, Ala.

He was a native of De Soto, Miss., and a graduate of Louisiana State University, where he also received a master's degree in government. He received a doctorate in political economics from Harvard University.

He served in the Army Air Forces in North Africa and Europe during World War II and later was a colonel in the Army Reserve.

Dr. Todd began his State Department career after the war in the bureau of economic affairs and then was chief of the economic policy section at the U.S. Embassy in London. He was administrative assistant to Sen. Russell Long (D-La.) from 1954 to 1959 and special assistant and consultant to the senator in the office of the Senate whip in the mid-1960s.

In the 1960s, Dr. Todd also was assigned to the embassy in Monrovia, Liberia, the Commerce Department's Bureau of International Commerce and the embassy in Tokyo.

After he retired from the Foreign Service in 1970, he was associate professor of managerial sciences at the University of Nevada, where he also directed economic organizations. He was also director of development for the New York-New Jersey Port Authority and a consultant in New Orleans.

His marriages to Pauline Todd, Emily Todd and Peggy Todd ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Eloise Bowden Todd of Fairhope; four daughters from his first marriage, Francine Todd Grey of Jeffersonville, Ind., and Rani Todd Gaw, Jacqueline Todd and Susan Todd Bell, all of Dallas; three sisters; and two grandchildren. HENRY E. JONES Sr. Dentist

Henry E. Jones Sr., 76, a dentist who practiced in Washington from the 1940s to 1995, died Dec. 31 at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He had a heart ailment.

Dr. Jones, who lived in Annapolis, was born in Chicago and raised in Washington. He was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School and the dentistry school at Georgetown University. He also attended the University of Maryland.

Dr. Jones maintained an office in Eastport, Md., from 1968 to 1973.

He was a member of Foundry Methodist Church in Washington, the Annapolis Yacht Club, the Dental Progress Study Club of Washington and the Washington and American dental societies.

His marriage to Eulaine Jones ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 19 years, Florence Nemseyk Jones of Annapolis; three children from his first marriage, Freda Lee McMillan of Gaithersburg, Bonnie Lin Madden of Severna Park and Dr. Henry E. Jones Jr. of Tucson; and seven grandchildren. RITA WALL Teacher

Rita Wall, 58, a Washington resident off and on since 1974 and a former teacher, died of cancer Jan. 2 at the Washington Home.

Mrs. Wall was a native of Oklahoma City and a graduate of Oklahoma State University, where she also received a master's degree in political science. She received a master's degree in education from Duke University. She served in the Peace Corps in Malawi.

While her husband, John W. Wall, was on a post-doctoral research assignment in Brazil in the mid-1970s, Mrs. Wall taught social studies at the International School in Rio de Janeiro. She later accompanied her husband to World Bank assignments in India and Pakistan.

In addition to her husband of Washington, survivors include three children, Alexander Wall of Newark, and Katherine Wall and Emily Wall, both of Washington. ERIC MENG CHIN YUAN Language Instructor

Eric Meng Chin Yuan, 78, a retired Defense Department language instructor, died of a brain hemorrhage Dec. 31 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Yuan was born in Shanghai and graduated from the University of Shanghai.

He came to the United States after World War II, received a master's degree in journalism at Columbia University and in 1950 came to Washington and began his career as a Chinese language teacher at the Department of Defense. He retired in 1988.

His wife, Florence L. Yuan, died in 1995.

Survivors include two children, Erica L. Yuan of Silver Spring and Raymond L. Yuan of Burtonsville; and two grandchildren. ROBERT F. LENHART Administrator

Robert F. Lenhart, 84, who worked for the Committee for Economic Development for 34 years until retiring in 1978 as administrative vice president, died of a cardiopulmonary disorder Jan. 3 at Inova Alexandria Hospital.

Mr. Lenhart, who had lived in Alexandria since 1960, was born in Salamanca, N.Y., and raised in Buffalo. He graduated from Syracuse University, where he also received a master's degree in public administration.

He began his career in 1936 as a supervisor in the vital statistics division of the Census Bureau in Washington. He went to work in 1944 for the Committee for Economic Development, an organization sponsored by businesses. He was later secretary of the research and policy committee, vice president of research administration and secretary of the board of trustees.

His interests included archaeology.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Eleanor R. Kenderdine Lenhart of Alexandria; two children, Robert F. Lenhart Jr. of Alexandria and Barbara L. Hansen of Zanesville, Ohio; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. WILLIAM LEETE STONE III Physician

William Leete Stone III, 74, a retired Arlington physician who was president of the Arlington County Medical Society, died of cardio-respiratory failure Jan. 1 at Vencor Hospital.

Dr. Stone had a general practice for more than 30 years before retiring in 1987. He taught medicine at George Washington University in the 1950s and was on the attending staff at Arlington Hospital. He was a founder of Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. Dr. Stone, an Arlington native, graduated from Western High School and Amherst College. He received a medical degree from George Washington, interned at what is now D.C. General Hospital and did his residency at George Washington University Hospital.

During the Korean War, Dr. Stone served in the Army with assignments at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, with a MASH unit in Korea and at military hospitals in Japan.

He edited a monthly publication, the Northern Virginia Medical Bulletin.

His first wife, Ann Hanford Stone, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen Long Stone of Arlington; four children from his first marriage, William M. Stone of Port Royal, Pa., Suzanne Stone Brannan of Arlington, Pamela Rucker Rocke of Laguna Hills, Calif., and Robin Leete Smith of Cary, N.C.; two stepsons, Rowland Ingram III of White Stone, Va., and Richard Ingram of Arlington; a sister; and four grandchildren. B. DELOS DUTCH' FAIRMAN Salesman

B. Delos "Dutch" Fairman, 84, a salesman who retired in 1995 from McLean Hardware, after working in the hardware business for 53 years, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 2 at the Commonwealth Care Center in Fairfax.

Mr. Fairman, who had worked for four other hardware stores in Northern Virginia and Washington, was a native of Indiana, Pa. He worked in farming, logging and construction as a young man and helped clean up the debris left behind by the flooding of Johnstown, Pa., in 1936. He moved to Northern Virginia three years later.

He was a member of Walker Chapel United Methodist Church.

Survivors include three brothers, L. Eugene Fairman of Arlington, Edward L. Fairman of Centreville and Charles R. Fairman of Crozet, Va. ISABELLE H. FLAHERTY Church Member

Isabelle H. Flaherty, 72, a former restaurant hostess who was active in church and civic organizations, died of a gastrointestinal disorder Jan. 2 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Flaherty, who had lived in Silver Spring since 1952, was a native of Winchester, Mass. She was a part-time hostess at Fred & Harry's Restaurant in Silver Spring from 1986 to 1996.

Mrs. Flaherty was a member of the Sodality of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring. She was corresponding secretary for the Montgomery County Democratic Breakfast Club and served two terms on the Maryland Board of Cosmetology in the 1980s.

Her husband of 38 years, John Roger Flaherty, died in 1984.

Survivors include a daughter, Barbara A. Strittmatter of Chantilly; five sons, Roger J. Flaherty of Arnold, Robert E. Flaherty of Frederick, Md., Richard T. Flaherty of Silver Spring, Ronald J. Flaherty of Manassas and Air Force Capt. Michael P. Flaherty of Norfolk; three sisters; two brothers; 13 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.