Simeon Arboleda


Simeon Arboleda, 91, who retired in 1992 after about 65 years as a houseman and cook in the homes of the late Sen. Burton K. Wheeler (D-Mont.) and his children, died of cardiac arrest April 4 at Veterans Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Arboleda, a native of the Philippines, came to the United States in 1927 and went to work and live in Wheeler's homes in Washington and near Lake McDonald, Mont. Mr. Arboleda had met Wheeler and his family during their tour of Asia.

He continued to work for the Wheeler family after the senator's death in 1975.

Mr. Arboleda returned to his home country during World War II as a member of the U.S. Army's First Philippines Infantry. He was stationed in Samara, Leyte and New Guinea.

Survivors include his wife, Isaura Arboleda of Washington.

Edward Albert Routheau

Army Officer and Prep School Teacher

Edward Albert Routheau, 98, a retired Army colonel who also was former dean of the old Columbian Preparatory School in Washington, died of respiratory complications April 6 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Col. Routheau, a 1920 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, served 33 years in the Army. During World War II, he served as assistant chief of staff in the tactical plans division of U.S. Army Forces Headquarters in the Pacific.

After other assignments, which included professor of military science at Princeton University, he retired from the Army in 1953 and joined the faculty of Columbian Preparatory School as a mathematics instructor. He later became the school's dean and retired in 1973.

He and his wife of 68 years, Josephine McCleary Routheau, lived in Chevy Chase for 37 years before moving to the Fairfax Retirement Community at Fort Belvoir in 1990.

In addition to his wife, survivors include a daughter, Josephine Arnold of Chevy Chase; two brothers; five grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Winter K. Graves

Electrical Engineer

Winter K. Graves, 88, a longtime District resident who was an electrical engineer with the Export-Import Bank for about 20 years until retiring in 1971, died of emphysema April 5 at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, where he had lived since 1992.

He began his career in 1932 with Potomac Electric Power Co. and subsequently worked for a mining company in Peru, the Tennessee Valley Authority, Dumont Laboratories in New York City and the Federal Power Commission.

Mr. Graves, a native Washingtonian and graduate of McKinley Technical High School, received an engineering degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a life member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the National Society of Professional Engineers. He also was active in the Historical Society of Washington and the Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia.

He was a member of Our Lady of Victory Catholic Parish in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Leonor Graves of Gaithersburg; a daughter, Carmen E. Delo of Seattle; and a grandson.

Richard Kenneth Foy

Piano Player

Richard Kenneth Foy, 83, a pianist who played in bars and nightclubs in the Washington area for 50 years, died of liver disease April 6 in a hospital in Sarasota, Fla.

Over the years, Mr. Foy played at the Robin Hood at the Savoy Hotel, James III, Swiss Cafe, Royal Warrant and other establishments where patrons often sang along with his music.

He specialized in the likes of "As Time Goes By," "Me and My Shadow," "My Funny Valentine," "East Side, West Side," "Meet Me in St. Louis," always playing from memory and sensing which tunes would fit the mood of his audiences.

"You can read people," he once told The Washington Post. "You know the crowd, and they trigger something to play. Some people, if they're depressed, like a sad song. They may want to have a tear or two."

Mr. Foy was born in Baltimore and served in the Navy during World War II. He came to Washington after the war.

He moved to Sarasota last year.

Survivors include his wife, Laura Foy, and a stepson, Richard Glenn Ridgeway, both of Sarasota.

John Kovals

Army Technician

John Kovals, 78, a physical science technician who worked on the development of night vision devices for the Army, died of cancer April 7 at Mount Vernon Nursing Center. A resident of the Washington area since 1940, he lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Kovals was born in Indianola, Pa. He served in the Army in Iceland, England and Germany during World War II.

He went to work for the Army as a civilian after the war and was assigned to Fort Belvoir. He retired in 1986.

His interests included golfing and fishing.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Virginia Kovals of Alexandria; four children, Diane Huff of King George, Va., Jo Ann K. Spicer of Herndon, Lu Ann K. Palmer of Fredericksburg, Va., and Lorie K. Hahn of Cedar Grove, N.J.; and nine grandchildren.

Jack Bayne


Jack Bayne, 90, a salesman who worked for Washington food wholesalers and retired in the late 1970s, died of respiratory and congestive heart failure April 5 at a hospital in Middletown, N.Y.

He lived in the Washington area for more than 50 years before moving to Middletown in 1997. He retired from Consolidated Foods Corp. and also had worked for other food wholesalers, a local radio station and a firm that made and sold large-screen projection televisions.

Mr. Bayne was born in Lithuania and raised in New Haven, Conn., and Brooklyn, N.Y. He attended Colby College and Brooklyn Law School.

In the 1920s, he worked on freighters, and in the 1930s, he worked in the film industry in Hollywood. He was an extra and a stand-in for actor Ben Lyon.

He sold war bonds in Rhode Island in the early 1940s and served in the Army in the Philippines during World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Josephine Bayne, and a son, Richard Bayne, both of Middletown; and two grandchildren.

Mary Claire Smith

Retired Buyer

Mary Claire Smith, 69, a buyer for the Prince George's County Health Department for 22 years until retiring in 1992, died April 7 at Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly. She suffered a stroke three weeks after bypass surgery.

Mrs. Smith was voted the "Bluest Eyes of all Dunmore" when she graduated from high school in her home town in Pennsylvania in 1948. She moved with her family from Dunmore to Mount Rainier that year. In June 1952, she married Karl Barton Smith, and the couple moved to Cheverly. Mr. Smith, a letter carrier, died last year.

A daughter, Jo Anne Smith of Greenbelt, said that her mother had been homemaker whose main pleasure was cooking pot roasts for her children and grandchildren but that she had recently acquired a computer and was spending more and more hours surfing the Internet, exchanging e-mail with her friends and family and reading electronic newspapers from Scranton and Ireland and points between.

Mrs. Smith was a member of St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Cheverly.

Survivors include three daughters, Jo Anne Smith, Mauri Ellen Smith of Cheverly and Colleen Smith of Greenbelt; a son, Donald Smith of Laurel; a brother, Edward Joseph Brink of Frankford, Del.; and two grandchildren.