D.C. Police Officer Charged With Child Abuse

A 20-year veteran of the D.C. police department was arrested Wednesday and charged with two counts of child sexual abuse by police in Prince George's County, where he lives.

Dovid Golfarb, 43, was an administrative sergeant assigned to the health clinic used by police officers and firefighters, said Sgt. Joe Gentile, spokesman for District police. Golfarb has been placed on administrative leave without pay pending a review, Gentile said.

Cpl. Tim Estes, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department, said Golfarb was arrested at his Bowie home on warrants that allege the sexual assault of two children in Prince George's County. One count alleges that a child was abused from 1983 to 1987. The other count alleges another child was abused from 1987 to 1991.

Golfarb was released on a personal recognizance bond. If convicted, Golfarb faces up to 15 years in prison on each charge, Estes said.


Grocery Store Clerk Shot During Robbery

A clerk at a Mount Pleasant corner grocery store was listed in critical condition yesterday after being shot in the abdomen during a scuffle with robbers, police said.

The robbery was the second in a week at Ogden Market, owner Young Kim said.

Two men entered the store, in the 1500 block of Ogden Street, about 1:30 p.m. and demanded cash, Sgt. Jeffrey Parker said. A scuffle ensued, and one of the robbers shot a 22-year-old employee. Kim was hit on the head. The men then ran out of the store with the cash.

The employee underwent surgery at Washington Hospital Center.

Another Former Tax Employee Sentenced

A D.C. Superior Court judge yesterday sentenced Derrick T. Cromartie to probation and community service, the second time in four days a former employee of the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue was punished for a tax crime.

Cromartie, a former tax and revenue researcher, pleaded guilty to failing to file income tax returns for two years. Judge Cheryl M. Long ordered the 35-year-old District resident to perform 80 hours of community service and serve one year on probation. She ordered him to pay the back taxes, with interest and penalties, and suspended a 30-day jail term.

On Monday, a federal judge sentenced James J. Woodard, a former audit assistant, to 13 months in prison for creating 17 false tax returns last year. Woodard pleaded guilty to arranging to issue more than $60,000 in fraudulent income tax checks to relatives and friends.

Funeral Home Owner Admits Tax Fraud

The owner of a Southeast Washington funeral home pleaded guilty yesterday to tax fraud charges stemming from false tax claims submitted to the D.C. and federal governments, prosecutors said.

Keith A. Ridley IV, 32, admitted filing false tax refund claims with the Internal Revenue Service and D.C. government from 1994 to 1997 on behalf of himself and eight others. The claims said the funeral home had withheld wages for taxes, prosecutors said, when in fact no money was set aside. By the time investigators caught on, the claims had generated $154,000 in federal and local refunds, prosecutors said.

Ridley, president of Ridley Funeral Establishment Inc., pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to two counts of fraud. He could face up to 15 years in prison when he is sentenced Aug. 25. A brother and cousin of Ridley's earlier pleaded guilty to charges in the case.


3 Teens Charged With Brandishing a Gun

Three Fairfax County teenagers were arrested Wednesday and charged with brandishing a weapon and possession of a weapon on school property after a motorist allegedly saw them point a handgun out the window of moving car and police found a toy gun in the Honda they were traveling in.

Police said the youths were driving on Van Dorn Street near Castlewellen Drive in the Franconia area about 10:15 a.m. when a motorist contacted police to report that an occupant of the Honda had pointed a handgun at a passing van.

The caller, police said, followed the car to Hayfield Secondary School on Telegraph Road, where it pulled into the school parking lot. Police said the Honda then continued on Telegraph Road, where officers conducted a traffic stop.

Police said the boys, who ranged in age from 15 to 17, were released to their parents. A fourth boy, a 16-year-old who police said owned the car his friends were driving, was not present during the incident, but he was charged with possession of a weapon on school property.


Man Gets Death Penalty for Triple Murder

A Wicomico County man convicted of killing his fiancee and her grandparents and burning down their house was sentenced to death yesterday.

Eugene Winder, 25, of Fruitland, received the death penalty for each first-degree murder charge. Judge John Fader also sentenced him to 30 years in prison for arson and 20 years for burglary.

Winder was convicted May 17 of the murders of fiancee Christie Lee Mainor and her grandparents, John and Geraldine Mainor. Winder confronted Christie Mainor when she returned home from a date with another man Feb. 18, 1998. He used an ax and knife to kill her and her grandparents, prosecutors said.

Against the advice of his attorneys, Winder entered an "Alford plea," meaning he did not admit guilt, but acknowledged that prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him.