Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout Loudoun County.
Using information provided by the county Building and Development Department, Loudoun Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development.
The map and chart identify planned projects, by magisterial districts, that were processed by officials in April.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed are rezonings and special exception permits submitted for county review. Public hearings are held before any action.
Projects Approved are rezonings and special exception permits that have been approved by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. Rezonings change the kind of development allowed on a tract of land. Special exception permits allow a one-time exemption to build a project not allowed under the land's current zoning.
Grading Permits are permits that allow a property owner to begin clearing land for construction.
For further information about any of the projects, call the Loudoun County Building and Development Department at 703-777-0397.
1. Cedar Ridge, southwest and southeast
corners of Stubble Road and Forest Farm Lane. Approval to rezone 25 acres from countryside residential to single-family residential with a maximum density of four units an acre plus affordable dwelling units and bonus density.
2. Loudoun County Animal Shelter, northwest of Charles Town Pike and Hamilton Station Road. Approval to renovate and expand existing animal shelter from 9,785 square feet to 16,235 square feet in an A-3 zoning district.
3. Margaret Dole Rust Estate, west side of the Route 7 Bypass outside Leesburg. A special exception to allow an educational and research facility in an A-3 zone.
4. Greenstone Farm, west side of Route 648, 4 1/2 miles south of Leesburg. A special exception to allow a bed and breakfast and a country inn (restaurant) in an A-3 district.
There were no projects approved for April.
5. Ridges at Ashburn, Section 2, Block 3, northwest corner of Gloucester Parkway and Deerview Drive. Approval to clear 6.8 acres to build 48 town houses.
6. Sumner Suites Hotel, southeast corner of Route 7 and Loudoun Tech Drive. Approval to build a 76,590-square-foot, six-story hotel with parking.
7. Potomac Lakes, Section 18B, southwest corner of Westlake Plaza and Cascades Parkway. Approval to build a 9,614-square-foot building for commercial use.
8. Cascades Business Center, Route 638 west, off Cascades Parkway. Approval to begin road improvements.
9. Gateway, southwest corner of Routes 636 and 606. Approval to begin road improvements.