J. Philip Carlson, 84, who served on the staff of the House Government Operations Committee from 1956 until retiring in 1980 as its minority counsel, died May 28 at Alexandria Hospital after a stroke. He lived in Alexandria.
From 1980 until retiring altogether in 1985, he was a Capitol Hill representative of the American National Standards Institute.
Mr. Carlson, who came to the Washington area in 1946, was a Nebraska native. During World War II, he served in Europe with the Army Air Forces and received the Distinguished Flying Cross and two awards of the Air Medal.
A 1935 graduate of Wayne State College in Nebraska, he received a master's degree in economics from Columbia University. He was a 1951 graduate of Georgetown University law school.
Mr. Carlson was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Springfield. From 1961 to 1986, he served on the board of the Fellowship Square Foundation, a church-related organization that worked to provide low-cost housing for the elderly.
He was a member of the Metropolitan, Capitol Hill, and Belle Haven Country clubs.
Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Maryjo S. Carlson of Alexandria; and two sisters, Theodora and Judith Carlson, both of Alexandria.