High Court Upholds Aramony Term

The Supreme Court has reaffirmed the seven-year prison sentence handed to former United Way of America president William Aramony for stealing money from the nation's largest charity, based in Alexandria.

Aramony had contended that his prison term exceeds federal guidelines.

He was convicted four years ago in U.S. District Court in Alexandria of defrauding the charity of about $600,000. He was found guilty of fraud, tax and conspiracy charges.

Aramony was forced to resign in 1992 after 22 years with the charity.


Off-Duty Marine Charged With DUI

An off-duty Marine was charged yesterday with driving under the influence and destruction of government property after he rammed his car into a concrete barricade near the Old Executive Office Building in Northwest Washington, authorities said.

Michael Addis, 21, was arraigned in D.C. Superior Court, according to U.S. Secret Service spokesman Jim Mackin. Addis is expected to be turned over to military police until his trial.

Addis and another Marine were headed east on Pennsylvania Avenue about 2:30 a.m. yesterday, when they tried to turn south onto 17th Street but ran into the outer perimeter of the White House security area closed to motorists.

Both men were treated at George Washington University Medical Center and released. Addis was taken by the Uniformed Division of the Secret Service to the D.C. police department's central cellblock. The other Marine, whom officials declined to identify, was turned over to the Marine Corps military police. He has not been charged. The Secret Service and the Marine Corps are investigating.

"As soon as we found out about it, we began taking action," said Capt. Ken Lucas, a Marine Corps spokesman.

Addis and the other Marine were assigned to the Marine post in the District and worked at Camp David, Lucas said.


Not-Guilty Plea in Espionage Case

A former Australian intelligence official accused of trying to sell U.S. secrets to a foreign country pleaded not guilty yesterday in federal court in Alexandria.

Jean-Philippe Wispelaere stood silently as his attorney, Nina Ginsberg, entered the plea and U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III set a Sept. 13 trial date.

Wispelaere was indicted last month by a grand jury on charges of attempted espionage and criminal forfeiture. If convicted, he could be sentenced to life in prison -- or, under certain circumstances, the death penalty -- and ordered to return the $120,000 he allegedly made while selling classified U.S. military secrets to undercover FBI agents.

Wispelaere, 28, was employed by the Australian Defense Intelligence Organization in Canberra, Australia, from July 1998 to January 1999 and had access to top-secret information.

Officials allege that Wispelaere was planning to seal a deal to sell additional U.S. satellite photos and classified documents to the FBI agents, who he thought were spies for a foreign country.

He was arrested at Dulles International Airport, where he was lured during a sting operation. He is being held without bond.


More Bomb-Sniffing Dogs Sought

Maryland State Police Superintendent David B. Mitchell asked state lawmakers yesterday to double the number of bomb-sniffing dogs at his disposal so state police can better respond to bomb threats at public schools.

At a state House subcommittee hearing on school violence, Mitchell asked legislators for money to buy seven dogs that are specially trained to detect explosives. That's in addition to five dogs already in the state police ranks and two other dogs assigned to the state fire marshal.

Mitchell said state police have responded to 104 bomb threats at public schools since Jan. 1, a total he said was a sharp increase over last year.

He estimated that the going rate for a bomb-sniffing dog is $3,000 to $5,000.

Death of Unidentified Man Probed

U.S. Park Police are investigating the death of an unidentified man whose body was found yesterday morning in Prince George's County near the interchange of Route 450 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

A National Park Service employee found the body -- described as a black man, about 30 years old -- about 9 a.m. in a grassy area near an exit ramp, U.S. Park Police said. There were no obvious signs of injury and the man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

CAPTION: Former United Way president William Aramony, with niece Diane Aramony, leaves court in Alexandria in 1995. He was convicted of defrauding the charity.