Kathryn Anne Kirkpatrick

Supervisor at National Geographic

Kathryn Anne Kirkpatrick, 46, former manager of the subscription renewals department at National Geographic magazine, died of brain cancer June 1 at her parents' home in Potomac.

Mrs. Kirkpatrick was a fourth-generation Washingtonian and a 1971 graduate of Montgomery County's Winston Churchill High School. She graduated from the University of New Hampshire, then lived in Ohio and New Hampshire after her marriage to the Rev. Neil Kirkpatrick. They were divorced, and in 1983, Mrs. Kirkpatrick returned to the Washington area, settled in Gaithersburg and began working at National Geographic. She left the magazine in 1998.

She was a choir member at Christ Episcopal Church in Potomac.

Survivors include three children, Stephen Preston Kirkpatrick, Patricia Lynn Kirkpatrick and Matthew David Kirkpatrick, all of Gaithersburg; her parents, John E. Preston and Lenore J. "Lynn" Preston of Potomac; a sister, Pamela Kelly of La Crosse, Wis.; and a brother, Richard Preston of Yardley, Pa.

Richard Allan White


Richard Allan White, 52, an astrophysicist who worked at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt for the past 20 years, died of chronic lymphocytic leukemia May 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

During the course of his career, Dr. White conducted research on clusters of galaxies, and his findings were published in scientific publications, mainly Astrophysical Journal. He also was involved in developing a Web-based language designed to make astronomical catalogues and NASA data more accessible to professionals and the general public.

He was a native of Marblehead, Mass., and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. He received his doctorate in astrophysics from the University of Chicago.

Dr. White was an advocate for people with disabilities, serving on the Goddard Committee for People with Disabilities and volunteering for the Leukemia Society of America. He was a member of the American Astronomical Society and the International Astronomical Union

Survivors include two sisters.

Bernardyne Harding Pope


Bernardyne Harding Pope, 83, who retired from the D.C. government in 1981 as registrar in the vehicle control division of the Department of Transportation, died on May 28 at home in Arlington. She had heart ailments.

Mrs. Pope was born in Washington, and she had worked 29 years for the D.C. government at retirement. Earlier she worked six years for the American Automobile Association.

In retirement she traveled extensively. She did volunteer work at Arlington Hospital, and she was a member of St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Arlington.

Her marriage to John Carter Pope ended in divorce.

Survivors include one son, John Harding Pope of Olney; and four grandchildren.

Marie E. Spinetta


Marie E. Spinetta, 87, a Red Cross volunteer who had worked at hospitals in the area for 20 years, died of complications related to emphysema June 2 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Spinetta, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in New York. She moved to the Washington area in 1962 with her husband, Frank Spinetta, the founder of Colonial Mortgage. He died in 1991.

She was a member of the Georgetown Club.

Survivors include three children, Art Spinetta of Annapolis, Frank Spinetta of St. Michaels, Md., and Elisa Ruggieri of North Potomac; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Helen M. Chatfield

AT&T Employee

Helen M. Chatfield, 60, who worked 35 years for American Telephone & Telegraph Co. before retiring in 1989 as an office manager in the government relations division, died of congestive heart failure May 29 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

She did various work for the telephone company including writing a users manual for an upgraded telecommunication system. For the last 10 years, she was a volunteer at the Washington Home and Hospice.

Ms. Chatfield, a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., came to Washington in the late 1960s.

She was a member of St. Anne's Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include two brothers.

Thelma E. Ford

Capitol Chief Operator

Thelma E. Ford, 79, who retired in 1976 as chief telephone operator of the U.S. Capitol complex, died of a liver ailment May 27 at Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown, Md. A former resident of Washington, she was a patient at Reeders Nursing Home in Boonsboro, Md.

Mrs. Ford was a native of Washington. She was an operator with Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. before going to work at the Capitol in 1956.

Her husband, Everett R. Ford, died in 1995. Their son, Everett R. Ford Jr., died in 1989. A daughter, Christine Miller, died in 1997.

Survivors include two daughters, Evelyn M. McMullan of Boonsboro and Linda Woodruff of Fallon, Nev.; two sisters, Evelyn Wright of Temple Hills and Carroll Artes of Indian Head; eight grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

Mary Priscilla Hartley Randall


Mary Priscilla Hartley Randall, 72, a volunteer elementary school tutor who was active in political and civic organizations, died May 29 at her home in Washington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Randall, a Washington resident since 1960, was a member of the Women's Democratic Party in Washington and a volunteer at Murch Elementary School, the National Cathedral Flower Mart and Vassar Book Club.

She was born in Omaha. She attended Vassar College, and in the late 1940s, she worked as a buyer for a Macy's department store in San Francisco.

Her husband, Robert L. Randall, died in 1978.

Survivors include three children, Pooh Randall of Washington and Louisa Harper Randall and R. Lor Randall, both of Salt Lake City; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Ruth Ann Darling


Ruth Ann Darling, 70, a clerk in the 1980s at P.G. Office Supplies in Laurel, died May 29 at Laurel Regional Hospital. She had emphysema.

Mrs. Darling, a native of Columbus, Ohio, was a former resident of Laurel who had lived in Baltimore for three years.

Her marriage to John M. Darling Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, John M. Darling Jr. of Laurel, Pauline Rowley of Laurel, Edward Carl Darling of Baltimore and James Frederick Darling of Laurel; three sisters; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Marguerite M.E. Roney

Operations Officer

Marguerite M.E. Roney, 82, who retired in 1973 as an operations officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, died of an aortic rupture June 2 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Miss Roney attended business school in her native Philadelphia, and then worked for Kraft Cheese and Consolidated Vultee Aircraft as a young woman. She was a code clerk with the State Department in Syria and Libya before joining the CIA in 1951. She was later posted to Japan.

Survivors include two brothers and a sister.

Gabriel E. Mallides


Gabriel E. Mallides, 73, a Voice of America broadcaster and writer who retired in 1984 from the Arabic language service, died of cancer May 30 at Montgomery General Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. Mallides was born to Greek parents in Baghdad. He was a graduate of the American University in Beirut.

He began his career as a press assistant at the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad and moved to Washington in 1958 to work for VOA when the embassy was closed by the Iraqi revolution. He worked for VOA in Rhodes, Greece, between 1962 and 1975.

Mr. Mallides's interests included gardening and golfing.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Elizabeth Vallance Mallides of Rockville, and four sisters.

Robert E. Putnam

FCC Budget Analyst and Foreign Service Officer

Robert E. Putnam, 84, a retired Federal Communications Commission budget analyst who also had a 14-year career as a Foreign Service officer, died of cardiac arrest June 1 at Loudoun Hospital. A former Falls Church resident, he lived in Sterling since 1997.

Mr. Putnam served 14 years in the Foreign Service, mostly as an administrative officer and budget analyst, before retiring in 1974. He had assignments in Jordan, Turkey, Moscow, India and Yemen.

He was a native of Massachusetts who served in the Coast Guard in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, he served in the Coast Guard Reserve, attaining the rank of commander. He worked 15 years for the FCC until 1960.

He was a member of the Naval Institute and the Order of the Carabao.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Bertha Putnam of Sterling.

Jane Ann Vernon


Jane Ann Vernon, 43, a Silver Spring homemaker and school volunteer, died of cardiac arrest June 1 at Holy Cross Hospital after collapsing at home.

Mrs. Vernon was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and moved to Silver Spring as a child. She graduated from Northwood High School in 1974.

As a young woman she was a preschool teacher at Tumble-Inn in Silver Spring.

She did volunteer work at Forest Knolls Elementary School.

Survivors include her husband, Weston Vernon IV, two children, Brandon Weston Vernon and Cassandra Ann Vernon, and her mother, June B. Joseph, all of Silver Spring; and a brother, Robert D. Joseph of Moyock, N.C.

Bernard S. Alford

Assistant Comptroller

Bernard S. Alford, 93, who worked about 20 years for the Department of Navy before retiring in 1964 as an assistant comptroller for the Bureau of Ships, died of a heart ailment May 30 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Alford, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Mercer County, Ky. He served in the Navy during World War II and attended Eastern Kentucky University and George Washington University.

His first wife, Rena Clark Alford, died in 1964.

Survivors include his wife, Marjorie M. Gildea Alford of Arlington.