Harriet A. Blackistone

Florist and Collector

Harriet A. Blackistone, 88, a collector of American commemorative glass and a retired partner in the family floral business, died of pneumonia June 3 at the Manor Care nursing home in Fairfax. She had lived in Chevy Chase since the mid-1940s.

From 1964 until selling the business in 1980, she and her husband, Demmie Blackistone, owned and operated Demmie Blackistone & Associates, the Bethesda branch of the area floral business.

Mrs. Blackistone, a Zanesville, Ohio, native, came to the Washington area in 1930. She was a 1934 library science graduate of George Washington University, where she was a homecoming queen and a member of the Chi Omega sorority.

She was a member of the Amelung chapter of the National American Glass Club since 1961. Over the years, she had cataloged her collection of more than 10,000 pieces of glass she had collected. The items in the collection dated from 1830 to 1986.

Her husband died in 1992.

Survivors include two sons, David, of Burke, and Stephen, of Silver Spring; a daughter, Susan Corbin of McLean; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Robert L. Forsythe

Financial Analyst

Robert Lawrence Forsythe, 46, a retired financial analyst who was a member of St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Silver Spring, died of lung cancer June 4 at the Washington Home Hospice. He lived in Silver Spring.

He came to the Washington area in 1994 when he became a financial analyst with Johns Hopkins University. After working in the Ivory Coast in 1997 and 1998, he returned to Washington and retired due to ill health.

Mr. Forsythe, a Pennsylvania native, was a graduate of Glassboro State University and received a master's degree in international studies from the University of Pittsburgh. He served with the Peace Corps in Togo from 1978 to 1982.

He worked with the U.S. Agency for International Development on various projects in Africa in the 1980s and 1990s, serving in Chad, Zaire and Burundi. In 1991 and 1992, he worked for the New York City management and budget office.

Survivors include his wife, Amavi, whom he married in 1982, and three children, David, Robert and Caroline Forsythe, all of Silver Spring; his mother, Mary Forsythe of Pennsylvania; three brothers, Christopher, of Herndon, David, of Portland, Ore., and Mark, of New Jersey; and two sisters, Mary Forsythe of Hyattsville and Eileen Forsythe of Florida.

Albert Luckett Jr.

Methodist Pastor

The Rev. Albert Luckett Jr., 74, who was a United Methodist pastor in the church's Baltimore-Washington Conference for a quarter-century, died of a heart attack June 2 in Las Vegas, where he had lived since retiring from the ministry in 1993.

Mr. Luckett was a past president of the NAACP in Harford County.

He came to Washington in 1949. Before becoming a pastor in 1968, he held a variety of jobs, including an orderly at St. Elizabeths Hospital, a Wilson High School science teacher and what he described as a "glorified bug-catcher" in the entomology department at Bolling Air Force Base.

As a Methodist minister, he served the congregations of Franklin P. Nash United Methodist Church in Washington, Mount Zion Church in Clarksville, Boyds United Methodist in Boyds, Ebenezer in Lanham and Asbury Broad Neck African Methodist Episcopal Church in Annapolis.

Mr. Luckett was born in Austin and was raised in Lockland, Ohio. He served in the Army Corps of Engineers at Fort Belvoir during World War II. He was a 1948 chemistry graduate of Wilberforce University in Ohio and received a master's degree in divinity from Howard University in 1968.

His first wife, the former Katherine Butler, whom he married in 1948, died in 1984. Survivors include his wife, Pauline Gardner Luckett of Las Vegas; five children from his first marriage, Estrellita Joyner and Jannine Presson, both of Baltimore, Florecita Thomas and Enid Kuria, both of Las Vegas, and the Rev. Lemuel Luckett Sr. of Forestville; three sisters; a brother; 17 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Frank H. Benson

Washington Gas Light Co. Employee

Frank H. Benson, 88, a longtime Arlington resident who worked for Washington Gas Light Co. as a labor management specialist in the personnel department before retiring in 1975, died May 31 at Arlington Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Benson was born in Unicoi, Tenn., and raised in Logan, W.Va. He came to the Washington area in 1929 and owned a gas station before joining the utility company in the 1930s.

He was active in the Georgetown Optimist Club and citizen advisory boards in Arlington.

He enjoyed golfing, fishing and gardening.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Marian Benson of Arlington; a son, Frank H. Benson Jr. of Lorton; two brothers, William Benson of Falls Church and Kenneth Benson of Florida; and two grandchildren. A son, Eric B. Benson, died in 1988.