Estelle Mary Mitzan Littlefield

Club and Church Member

Estelle Mary Mitzan Littlefield, 76, who was active in church and fraternal organizations, died of coronary artery disease May 23 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Littlefield was a former secretary of the Polish Clubs of Washington and College Park and president of the Woman's Club of Laurel. She was a member of St. Mark's Catholic Church in Hyattsville.

She was born in New Bedford, Mass., and attended Kenyon College.

She came to Washington in 1942, and she worked during World War II as a statistician at the War Department.

For the last 36 years, she had lived in University Park.

Survivors include her husband of 54 years, Malcolm Littlefield of University Park; four children, Paul Littlefield of Los Angeles, John Littlefield of Charlotte, Jim Littlefield of Damascus and Mary Kita of Gambrills; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Paul J. Labanauskas

Voice of America Official

Paul J. Labanauskas, 90, a retired official of Voice of America who as a young man commanded the only warship in the Lithuanian Navy, died May 28 at home in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He had heart ailments.

Mr. Labanauskas, a former Bethesda resident, was born in a section of Imperial Russia that later became Lithuania. The government of Lithuania sent him to the Naval Academies of Italy and France.

Shortly before World War II, he commanded the Lithuanian Navy's only warship.

Early in the war he was interned by Germany, then made his way to Brazil and from there to the United States.

He received a master's degree in electrical engineering from California Institute of Technology, taught at Marquette University, then in 1951 joined Voice of America, where he established the Lithuanian division. Later he transferred to the Latin American division. He retired there as director in 1980.

On retirement, he moved to Florida.

He was a member of the Order of Knights of Lithuania.

Survivors include two sisters and a brother.

Richard Leroy `Chief' Loman

Chief Petty Officer

Richard Leroy "Chief" Loman, 64, a retired Navy chief petty officer who later became a jet aircraft mechanic at Andrews Air Force Base, died June 3 at the base hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Loman, who lived in Waldorf, was born in Antlers, Okla. He served 23 years in the Navy and was assigned on several aircraft carriers, including the John F. Kennedy, before retiring in 1980. He had lived in the Washington area for 25 years.

After leaving the Navy, he began work as a civilian at Andrews Air Force Base, where he retired two years ago as a jet mechanic with the Presidential Squadron.

Survivors include his wife, Lillian May Loman of Waldorf; four stepchildren, Carl Whitney of Huntingtown, Randall Whitley and Darlene Healey, both of Owings, and Gloria Dianne Coyle of Gaithersburg; his parents, James and Myrtle Wesley Loman of Oklahoma; four brothers; and four sisters.

Thomas Frederick

Rosewag Jr. Electrical Foreman

Thomas Frederick Rosewag Jr., 48, a Prince George's County native and former Metro worker who had been an electrical foreman with the Baltimore Mass Transit Authority for the last 15 years, died June 5 at North Arundel Hospital. He had a heart ailment.

Mr. Rosewag, who lived in Crownsville, was a graduate of Gonzaga College High School and attended Anne Arundel Community College. He served in the Navy from 1971 to 1978.

He was a member of Our Lady of the Field Catholic Church in Gambrills. His hobbies included golf.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce, of Crownsville; two sons, Thomas III, of Eldersburg, Md., and Stephen Andrew Rosewag of Crownsville; and two sisters, Eva Swanson of Billings, Mont., and Bonnie Spivey of Dover, Del.

Russell F. Pinney

Operations Manager

Russell F. Pinney, 87, who retired in 1973 as chief of the technical operations division of the Washington studios of the Voice of America, died June 7 at the Burke Healthcare Center. He had congestive heart failure.

Mr. Pinney, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Rockville, Conn. He was a graduate of Boston Radio School. Early in his career, he was a technician at radio stations in Springfield, Mass., and New York. He was a radio engineer with the original VOA operations in New York after World War II and moved to Washington in 1955.

His interests included golf and bowling.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Stella V. Pinney, of Alexandria.

Michael James Morreale


Michael James Morreale, 80, a World War II and Korean War veteran who retired in 1978 after 16 years as a baker in the food services division of the National Institutes of Health, died of cancer June 3 at the Montgomery Village Care and Rehabilitation Center.

Mr. Morreale, a Wheaton resident since 1963, was a native of Jersey City. He served 20 years in the Navy, mainly as a baker aboard aircraft carriers. He retired from the Navy in 1962 as a petty officer first class.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Anne Morreale of Wheaton; two sons, Ronald Morreale and Michael Morreale, both of Wheaton; and a sister.

Roger Williams Meeden

Field Engineer

Roger Williams Meeden, 56, a field services engineer who retired from Bell Atlantic in April, died of complications related to diabetes June 2 at a retirement facility he was building in Newport, Tenn.

Mr. Meeden, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Haverhill, Mass. He graduated from Alderson-Broaddus College in West Virginia.

He had worked for 30 years for the telephone company, beginning his career in the marketing department in Wheeling, W.Va. In 1986, he was transferred to Silver Spring.

He had participated in volunteer activities with YoungLife, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Baltimore & DC Blues Societies, Potomac Arms Collectors Association and the Izaak Walton League.

His avocations included music, canoeing and Civil War history.

He was a member of National Presbyterian Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce Meeden of Silver Spring; two children, Michelle Meeden of Olney and Miles Meeden of Baltimore; his mother, Vivian Meeden of Groveland, Md.; two sisters; and a brother.

Arthur J. Bruner


Arthur J. Bruner, 88, a retired CPA who served on boards of Alexandria civic organizations, died of a heart attack June 5 at his home in Williamsburg. He moved there from Alexandria after he retired last year as a partner in the firm now known as Keller Bruner Co.

Mr. Bruner was born in Ahmerst, Va. He was a graduate of Benjamin Franklin University, where he also received a master's degree in commercial science. He served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a founder in 1952 of the accounting firm of Stanton, Minter and Bruner.

In Alexandria, Mr. Bruner was president of the Chamber of Commerce, which gave him its George Washington Leadership Medal, and he served on the boards of St. Agnes School, the Kiwanis Club, Alexandria Hospital, the Salvation Army, the YWCA, the Senior Citizen Employment organization, the Anne Lee Memorial Home and the Performing Arts Association.

He was a member of the Diocesan Missionary Board of the Diocese of Virginia and a vestryman at St. Paul`s Episcopal Church in Alexandria, where he was also a senior and junior warden.

He was a member of the retirement plan committee of the American Institute of CPAs and belonged to Belle Haven Country Club.

He was given the Burke Award for community service by the Red Cross.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Alice Jefferson Bruner of Williamsburg; two daughters, Susan B. Morris of Newport News, Va., and Martha B. Amborn of Chicago; two sisters; and a brother.

Jean Beveridge Newhall

Marketing Researcher

Jean Beveridge Newhall, 84, a retired marketing researcher who was a deaconess and Meals on Wheels volunteer at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington, died of a stroke May 27 at Holy Cross Hospital.

She lived at the Collington Episcopal Life Care Center in Mitchellville.

Mrs. Newhall was born in Somonauk, Ill. She was a graduate of Monmouth College. She was an office manager as a young woman and then worked for the U.N. Relief and Rehabilitation Administration in Yugoslavia during World War II.

After the war, she was an administrator with the Roosevelt Foundation in Washington. She went to work at Lever Brothers headquarters in New York in the late 1940s. She retired as a marketing researcher in 1964 and moved to the Washington area.

She was a member of the P.E.O. women's philanthropical organization and the 20th Century Club.

Survivors include her husband, Franklin Newhall of Mitchellville.

Charles K. Moran

Route Supervisor

Charles K. Moran, 68, who retired five years ago as a route supervisor with the Montgomery County school system, died of pneumonia June 7 at Gettysburg Hospital. He had a heart ailment.

A resident of suburban Maryland for 48 years, Mr. Moran moved to Gettysburg six years ago from Rockville.

He was born in Carbondale, Pa. He served in the Pennsylvania National Guard.

Mr. Moran was a firefighter with the Silver Spring Fire Department in the 1950s and 1960s, and he then went to work for the school system as a bus driver.

He was governor of the Moose lodge in Wheaton and a member of the American Legion and St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Florence Moran of Gettysburg; two sons, Timothy, of Rockville, and Charles, of Gettysburg; four daughters, Colleen Waybright of Hagerstown, Lisa Hankins of Rockville, Lynn Wallace of Gettysburg and Michele Little of Mount Airy, Md.; four brothers, Joseph, of Silver Spring, James, of Severn, and Paul and John, both of Carbondale; three sisters, Betty Walsh of Wheaton, and Grace Newcomb and Margaret Calzola, both of Carbondale; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.