State fire officials have identified the woman who died in a Monday afternoon fire that apparently started from a burning cigarette.

Elizabeth Trest, 76, was pronounced dead at her central Waldorf home, officials with the state Fire Marshal's office said. They also said Trest apparently had been smoking in bed. A smoke detector inside the two-story town house did not have a battery.

A neighbor, three police officers and firefighters successively tried to rescue Trest from the upstairs bedroom of her home in the Lancaster neighborhood.

Trest used a wheelchair, but apparently also got around with a walker. She was in the upstairs bedroom when her granddaughter, 12, noticed the smoke. The girl tried to get to her grandmother but was turned away by smoke and heat. Officials did not identify the granddaughter.

The 12-year-old ran to a neighbor's house and sought the help of John Groat, who lives two units from Trest. Groat tried twice to get to the upstairs bedroom, the second time using a wet towel to cover his nose and mouth. But he said the thick, black smoke in the upstairs hallway stopped him.

One of the three police officers who tried to rescue Trest injured his hand slightly, fire officials said. He was treated at Civista Medical Center and released.