Suspect Arrested in Waldorf Bank Robbery

An armed man entered a Waldorf bank before it opened to the public yesterday morning, herded five employees into a vault and had them turn over cash, authorities said. Several employees were able to leave and alert authorities to the robbery, and a short time later, after a brief foot chase, Charles County sheriff's deputies arrested a man they saw leaving the bank with a bag that apparently contained money.

The incident occurred about 8 a.m. at the Bank of Southern Maryland branch at U.S. Route 301 and Acton Lane, said sheriff's office spokesman Craig Renner. No one was injured in the incident.

Renner identified the man arrested about 100 yards from the bank as Garland C. Robinson, 43, of Clinton, who was charged with five counts of armed robbery. Renner declined to say what type of weapon was used in the robbery or the amount of cash taken and recovered.

Tyson Gets Permission to Travel to Arizona

Arizona officials have granted heavyweight champion Mike Tyson permission to travel to that state on Monday to begin training for a fight there this summer or early fall.

Tyson was given the news yesterday by the Maryland Division of Parole and Probation, which has been supervising the boxer since his release last month from the Montgomery County jail. Tyson had served 108 days of a one-year sentence for assaulting two motorists in Gaithersburg last summer.

Tyson, who has a home in Potomac, will stay in the Phoenix area, Maryland officials said. In Arizona, Tyson still will have to complete anger management counseling and community service requirements that were a condition of his Maryland probation.

Man Found Dead in Patuxent River

Prince George's County police were trying to determine the cause of death of a man whose body was found last night floating in a shallow area of the Patuxent River behind Laurel Plaza, officials said.

One official said the death "wasn't your typical drowning" because the body was found in an area of the river that is about three feet deep and 15 feet wide.

Rescue workers and police were called to the area behind the 9700 block of Fort Meade Road about 7 p.m. and found the man floating face down. The man, believed to be in his sixties, was not immediately identified. Laurel firefighters said they believed him to be a man who frequented the area, popular among homeless people.

Homicide investigators were awaiting autopsy results.

2 Pipe Bombs Found at Swim, Tennis Club

Two pipe bombs were found yesterday evening on the grounds of a swim and tennis club in Burtonsville, officials said.

Groundskeepers mowing the lawn at the Twin Farms club in the 1200 block of Fairland Road found the devices about 5 p.m. a few feet from the club's parking lot and more than 100 yards from its pool area and tennis courts, officials said. Police closed off Fairland Road for about two hours and asked residents to stay in their homes while technicians from the county fire department's bomb squad "disrupted" the devices. Capt. Dan Gilman, a fire department spokesman, said the pipe bombs could have caused serious injury.


Taima's E-Mail Examined for Clues to Slayings

Fairfax County police are looking into the e-mail messages that Fuad K. Taima sent and received through his home computer in McLean, searching for clues in the slaying last month of the Iraqi businessman, his wife and their son.

A search warrant filed in Fairfax County Circuit Court yesterday stated that Taima, 63, had an e-mail account and an Internet Web site through CAIS Internet in McLean. By examining Taima's home computer, detectives found he had "a large amount of Internet e-mail activity," so police obtained a warrant Wednesday to read Taima's e-mail, including posthumously received messages.

Taima, his wife Dorothy, 54, and their son Leith, 16, were found shot to death in their home on May 28. Fairfax police, working with the FBI, are investigating Taima's background, including his business ties to Iraq, but so far they have no suspects.