Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout St. Mary's County.
Using information provided by the St. Mary's County Department of Planning and Zoning, and the Leonardtown Planning and Zoning Commission, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects that were processed by officials in May.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public hearings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Building Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
I. PROJECTS PROPOSED
BUDD'S CREEK AREA
1. YODER GRAVEL PIT, west side of Route 236, north of Bethel Church Road. A simplified site plan for expansion of a mining and reclamation facility on 16.6 acres.
2. WOODS AT MYRTLE POINT RECREATION CENTER, north side of Patuxent Boulevard between Mill Cove Road and Iris Drive. A concept development site plan for a park on 47.56 acres.
3. GOLLAHON SUBDIVISION, west side of McIntosh Road, southwest of Route 235. A concept development site plan for subdivision of 173.009 acres for 149 single-family houses.
4. McINTOSH FARMETTES, west side of McIntosh Road, southwest of Route 235. A review of a plan to subdivide 173.009 acres into 11 farmsteads.
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
5. WILLOWS ROAD PARK, east side of Willows Road, south of Route 246. A request for a review of a concept development site plan for park design and expansion on 46.725 acres.
6. PERSIMMON HILLS, SECTION III, south and east side of Cathedral Court, south of Persimmon Creek Road. A review of a 94-lot subdivision on 344.27 acres.
VALLEY LEE AREA
7. INFINITY FARMS GRAVEL PIT 1, west side of Route 249, south of Hewitt Road. A simplified site plan for expansion of a mining and reclamation facility on 25.95 acres.
II. PROJECTS APPROVED
8. FIRST COLONY, south side of Route 4, west of Route 235. Final approval to subdivide 228.87 acres into 13 lots for single-family houses.
GOLDEN BEACH AREA
9. IDA LAVENDER ESTATES, SECTION 2, PHASE I, south side of Route 6, east of Locks Hill Road. Preliminary approval to subdivide 167.26 acres for 40 single-family houses.
10. FORREST FARM SUBDIVISION, SECTION 2, east side of Brown Road, north of Route 4. Reapproval of a record plat to subdivide 30.69 acres into 10 lots for single-family houses.
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
11. WESTBURY, PHASE 2, SECTION 2, northwest side of Pegg Road, northeast of Route 237. A record plat for a 51-lot subdivision of single family houses.
III. BUILDING PERMITS
12. OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE, Wildewood Center, Route 235 between Wildewood Boulevard and Airport Road. A permit for construction of a 6,631-square-foot restaurant on 37 acres.
GREAT MILLS AREA
13. ABBEY CARPET MILL, Route 5, south of Route 246. A permit for construction of a 20,000-square-foot commercial retail building.
PARK HALL AREA
14. OFFICE BUILDING, HERMANVILLE ESTATES, Route 235 and Hermanville Road. A permit for construction of a one-story office building.