Dye-Pack in Bank Loot Explodes in Metro

Several people, gagging and teary-eyed, fled the Farragut North Metro station yesterday after a red-dye pack from a bank robbery exploded at the foot of the entrance escalator, authorities said. No one was seriously injured.

The bandit, who had just held up the United Bank at 1667 K St. NW, had entered the station when the pack, which also contained a gaseous substance, exploded in a bundle of cash about 1:50 p.m., police said. The robber then fled, leaving the cash behind, said Capt. Geoffrey Hunter of the Metro police department.

About four people were treated at the scene, emergency workers said. Seven others were treated at George Washington University Hospital and released, said Amy Pianalto, a hospital spokeswoman.

The station was closed from about 2 to 2:30 p.m. Trains passed through the station but didn't stop, Metro spokeswoman Cheryl Johnson said.

Soon after, police handcuffed a man and marched him over to the bank to see if employees there could identify him. He was later released, police said.


Supreme Court Rejects CIA Killer's Appeal

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal yesterday by a Pakistani man sentenced to death for the 1993 slayings of two CIA employees outside the agency's McLean headquarters.

The justices, without comment, rejected an appeal in which Mir Aimal Kasi argued he should be allowed to challenge his seizure by FBI agents in Pakistan after a global manhunt. He said his FBI arrest in his homeland violated the Constitution's ban on unreasonable seizures.

Prosecutors said Kasi opened fire with an AK-47 assault rifle during the morning rush hour of Jan. 25, 1993. CIA employees Frank Darling and Lansing Bennett were killed as they sat in their cars at a stop light, and three men were wounded.

Kasi eluded FBI agents for more than four years. He reportedly admitted the killings to FBI officials during his return flight to the United States. Kasi was convicted in Virginia in 1997 and sentenced to death. The Virginia Supreme Court upheld his convictions and sentence in November.


Disabled Inmates Allowed to Sue State

A federal appeals court in Richmond has reversed its own 1997 opinion and is now allowing 13 disabled prisoners at a prison in Hagerstown, Md., to sue Maryland over alleged violations of federal anti-discrimination laws.

Faced with the same case in September 1997, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Americans with Disabilities Act and Rehabilitation Act do not apply to state prisons. But the U.S. Supreme Court struck down that opinion in 1998 when it ruled the opposite in a similar case.

The Richmond appeals court is now sending the Hagerstown case back to the U.S. District Court in Baltimore for a trial. The 13 inmates at Roxbury Correctional Institution say they suffer from cerebral palsy, chronic back pain, carpal-tunnel syndrome and other disabilities.

Judge Orders Suspect Taken to Hospital

A Prince George's County judge ordered corrections officials yesterday to take a robbery suspect, whose artery was severed when a county police dog bit him June 10, to a hospital for a medical test but to keep the suspect in custody.

An attorney for the suspect, Donald W. Blankenship Jr., 30, had asked that Blankenship be admitted to a hospital for treatment. Blankenship has been held in the medical ward of the county detention center since he was released from a hospital June 16, after surgery.

Blankenship, who has been charged with assault and robbery, was captured at a police roadblock after he allegedly robbed a salesclerk at a mall. Police said Blankenship fought with officers and tried to run away, at which point an officer set her dog on Blankenship. The FBI is investigating whether Blankenship's civil rights were violated in the dog attack.