Harry Bourland Simpson


Harry Bourland Simpson, 91, a lawyer who retired in 1971 after about 20 years at the Interstate Commerce Commission, died June 22 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had broken his hip in an accidental fall and had pneumonia.

Mr. Simpson was a longtime resident of Kensington who moved to the Sunrise assisted living facility in Reston last month.

He was a native of Sturgis, Ky., and a graduate of the Washington College of Law at American University. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

He worked for the Veterans Administration before joining ICC.

He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Kensington.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Alice Reid Simpson of Reston; four children, Judy Adams of Nellysford, Va., Hyatt Simpson of Fairfax, H.R. "Tuck" Simpson of Denver and Peter B. Simpson of Crestline, Calif.; three brothers; a sister; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Philip M. Baker

Communications Lawyer

Philip M. Baker, 89, a retired communications lawyer who represented some of the pioneers in the field of radio and television broadcasting, died June 23 at Brighton Gardens assisted-living complex in Chevy Chase, where he lived for the past two years. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Baker, a former District and Silver Spring resident, was a Washington native who received his bachelor's and law degrees from Georgetown University.

He worked for the Federal Communications Commission in the mid-1930s, then began a law practice in Washington in 1941. Until his retirement in 1992, he was a solo practitioner, representing businesses in more than 20 states.

Among his clients was Connie B. Gay, the noted radio and television station owner and music promoter.

He was a founding member of the Federal Communications Bar Association and a member of the Variety Club, a charitable organization of the American Heart Association.

His wife, Shirlie Baker, died in 1980.

Survivors include two children, Nina Baker Feinberg of Chicago and Bobby Baker of Bethesda; a brother, David Stutman of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.

Mary Allison Marsh

Volunteer and Nature Enthusiast

Mary Allison Marsh, 96, a volunteer and nature enthusiast who had lived in Washington for more than 60 years, died of pneumonia June 22 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Marsh was born in Rocky Grove, Pa., and graduated from the State Normal School at California, Pa. She was a Pennsylvania school teacher before moving to Washington in 1933.

She accompanied her husband, Burton Marsh, a traffic engineer, to meetings and conferences around the world.

In Washington, she was a Girl Scout leader, a volunteer at Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church and a participant in square dances and talent shows with the Chevy Chase Woman's Club. She liked walking among spring flowers in Rock Creek Park.

She gave annual Groundhog Day soup parties, and she celebrated new births on her block by raising a flag above her door.

Her husband of 61 years died in 1988.

Survivors include three children, Jean A. Marsh of Arlington, Betsy Marsh McCartor of Portland, Ore., and Alan B. Marsh of Washington; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Norman A. Burnett

Red Cross Employee

Norman A. Burnett, 65, a retired American Red Cross benefits administrator, died of cancer June 7 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Burnett worked at the Red Cross national headquarters in Washington from 1975 to 1998. At the time of his retirement, he was in the benefits division, where he organized retirement and financial planning seminars.

Earlier, he was a public information officer, a liaison for the American Red Cross Retiree Advisory Council and an administrator with the Retiree News publication.

He was a native of Morristown, N.J., who graduated from the College of William and Mary and attended Georgetown University after moving to the Washington area in 1960.

He was a member of the Live Poet Society in Alexandria.

His marriage to Carolyn Burnett ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Vicki Burnett, of Alexandria; and two brothers.

George S. Parsons

Public Relations Manager

George S. Parsons, 84, who retired as public relations manager for DyDee Services diaper delivery company, died of pancreatic cancer June 19 at home in Vero Beach, Fla.

Mr. Parsons was born in Washington and attended Strayer Business College. He began his career with DyDee in 1934, served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific and China during World War II, then after the war returned to DyDee, where he retired in 1984.

He moved from Garrett Park to Vero Beach in 1991.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Olive Parsons of Vero Beach; a son, George "Sam" Parsons of Washington; and six grandchildren.