Ever wonder what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner?
Using information provided by the county Planning Department, Extra gives you a monthly update on planned homes, office buildings, shopping centers and other development.
The map and chart identify planned projects, by magisterial districts, that were processed in May.
Site Disturbance Permits
1. Hersch Farm, 10509 Lucasville Rd. Construction of 83 single-family dwellings.
2. Noah's Ark Preschool, 8904 Yorkshire Lane. Classroom addition.
3. Old Dominion/Bennett Elementary School, 10410 Grant Ave. Classroom addition.
4. Ridgeleigh, 11801 Springwoods Dr. Construction of 75 town houses.
5. Staples Mill Shopping Center, 14630 Minnieville Rd. Construction of a 53,880-square-foot shopping center.
6. Shenandoah Station Apartments, 19300 Belleau Wood Dr. Replacement of a pool and pool pavilion.
7. Computer Learning Center, 10021 Balls Ford Rd. Construction of a building addition and parking area.
8. Centerpointe Store-All, 13124 Hillendale Dr. Construction of public storage facility.
9. CVS Pharmacy, 2200 Tacketts Mill Dr. Construction of a pharmacy with drive-through window.
10. Forest Vista, 3600 Water Birch Ct. 14-lot single-family subdivision.
11. Powell's Landing, 2281 Jennings St. Construction of 62 town houses.
12. MIH Auto, 7608 Centreville Rd. Allow use of a motor vehicle sales business.
13. Ridgefield Village, 12701 Ridgefield Village Dr. Rezone to construct single-family dwellings and to dedicate to the county a four-acre plot for a soccer field.
14. Prince William Marina, 12700 Poplar Lane. Allow construction of a bathhouse, swimming pool and parking area.
15. Belmont Center, 400 Express Dr. Allow construction of a town center district, marina and boat sales.
16. Dawson Beach Road Property, 13804 Dawson Beach Rd. Rezone from suburban residential to light industrial.
17. Ashley Ridge, 12016 Vint Hill Rd. Rezone from agriculture to suburban residential (10,000-square-foot minimum lot size).
18. Jackson Lake Lodge, 12765 Bristow Rd. Allow construction of a lodging house.
19. Linton Crest, 8350 Linton Hall Rd. Rezone from agriculture to suburban residential (10,000-square-foot minimum lot size).
20. Spyglass Self-Storage, 16780 Jefferson Davis Hwy. Renewal of special use permit to allow construction of a self-storage, vehicle impoundment and boat storage area.
21. St. Francis of Assisi School, 18825 Fuller Heights Rd. Allow construction of three temporary modular units ancillary to existing church.
22. Cottman Transmission, 14645 Jefferson Davis Hwy. Allow construction of a vehicle service station with five bays.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
* Site Disturbance Permits Issued are permits that allow a property owner to begin clearing land for construction.
* Projects Approved are rezonings and Special Use Permits Approved are projects that have been approved by the Board of County Supervisors. Rezonings change the kind of development allowed on a tract of land. Special use permits allow a one-time exemption to build a project not allowed under the land's current zoning.
* Projects Proposed are rezonings and Special Use Permits Submitted are projects submitted for review. Hearings will be held before any action.
For further information about any of the projects, call the Prince William County Planning Department at 703-792-6830.