A man suspected of robbing a gas station and leading police on a high-speed chase through Stafford and Prince William counties late Sunday night was free on bond after his arrest in March in an armed robbery in Woodbridge.

Prince William County police said Reginald McGary II, 19, of Woodbridge, was shot in the jaw by an accomplice after the pair fled from an Exxon station on Garrisonville Road and drove north on Interstate 95 just before 11 p.m. Sunday. They said that when McGary stopped the car abruptly, he was shot in the face by his friend, Shawn Erickson, 15, of Woodbridge. Erickson, who had just completed his first year at Potomac High School, then shot himself, police said. He died at the scene.

McGary was listed in critical but stable condition yesterday at Inova Fairfax Hospital, said his father, Reginald McGary Sr. Police said charges are pending against the younger Reginald McGary.

Authorities said McGary and Erickson allegedly entered the Stafford gas station about 10:45 p.m. Sunday and ordered the clerk to fill a black bag with money. After brandishing handguns, the two ran across a large field to where a gold Honda was waiting on a side street, said Charles Jett, a spokesman for the Stafford County Sheriff's Department. McGary then allegedly sped off in the borrowed car, with sheriff's deputies in pursuit.

Jett said the deputies pursued the car at speeds that exceeded 100 miles per hour before the car exited near Woodbridge, where Prince William police picked up the chase.

The car later came to a screeching halt on Maryland Avenue off Route 1, authorities said. According to police reports, officers then heard two gunshots and McGary exited the car, his arms up in the air, and told police that his passenger had shot him.

Prince William police said they found several guns in the car, including a TEC-9 9mm semiautomatic handgun and a few rifles. Police are tracing the origin of the guns and trying to determine whether they have been used in any other crimes.

McGary was arrested in March on charges of robbery, use of a firearm in a felony and wearing a mask in public after he and two others allegedly took $1,738 from a Potomac Mills Burger King employee as he left for the night. According to officials, McGary and his two accomplices wore masks similar to those used in the "Scream" movies. The trio had become familiar with the fast-food restaurant's schedule because the two accomplices -- one adult and one juvenile -- had worked there.

McGary was released on $5,000 bond two days after his arrest. He was scheduled to appear in court in May but missed his court date, according to Prince William County Circuit Court records. McGary has another hearing on that case July 22. He could face up to seven years in prison if convicted.