Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout Calvert County.
Using information provided by the Calvert County Department of Planning and Zoning and incorporated towns, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects, by areas, that were processed by officials in June.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public meetings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Final Plats Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Zoning Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
1. HUNTING CREEK HILLS, Plum Point Road, east of Route 2/4. A preliminary plan to subdivide 106 acres into 24 lots for single-family houses, with 79 acres of open space.
PORT REPUBLIC AREA
2. DEER RUN, Crane Road, south of Route 506. A preliminary plan to subdivide 86.45 acres zoned rural/critical area into 20 lots for single-family houses, with 46.2 acres of open space.
PRINCE FREDERICK AREA
3. CAPITAL FOOD SERVICE WAREHOUSE, Calvert Industrial Park. A site plan for an 18,000-square-foot warehouse on 2.27 acres.
4. PERRY'S CHOICE, Perrywood Lane off Route 260. A preliminary plan for subdivision of 2.85 acres zoned rural into two lots for single-family houses.
5. HOLLAND CLIFF SHORES, Holland Cliff Road, south of Robinson Road. A preliminary plan to subdivide 2.18 acres zoned critical area into two lots for single-family houses.
LOWER MARLBORO AREA
6. TIMBERLAKE, Johns Chapel Road off Lower Marlboro Road. A preliminary plan for subdivision of 29.375 acres into nine lots for single-family houses, with 18.523 acres of open space.
NORTH BEACH AREA
7. R.A.R. ASSOCIATES SENIOR HOUSING PROJECT, Chesapeake Avenue and Third Street. A site development plan for a minor subdivision of 55 apartments for senior housing.
8. STROCON AT CHANEYVILLE SOUTH, Skinners Turn Road. A site plan for an addition of a 2,400-square-foot warehouse to an existing group of four buildings for a new total space of 31,830 square feet.
CHESAPEAKE BEACH AREA
9. CHESAPEAKE BEACH WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT, 8550 Bayside Rd. A permit to upgrade an existing sewer plant on 32.5 acres.
PRINCE FREDERICK AREA
10. CHARLIE LIQUORS, Chapline Place Shopping Center, Solomons Island Road. A permit for construction of a liquor store in an existing building.
11. SUE'S GARDEN, Route 231, south of Barstow Road. A permit for construction of a greenhouse on an existing commercial site.
12. OFFICE BUILDING, 95 Jib Sail Dr., Calvert Industrial Park. A permit for construction of a 3,200-square-foot office building and a 7500-square-foot shop warehouse on three acres.
SOLOMONS ISLAND AREA
13. LIGHTHOUSE INN, 14636 Solomons Island Rd. A permit for construction of a deck expansion to the restaurant on .476 acre.