Woman Indicted in Beating Death

A Prince William County grand jury indicted an 18-year-old Fairfax County woman yesterday on charges of murder and felony murder in the beating death last week of a Woodbridge woman.

Teresa Hattie Dixon, of the county's Alexandria area, and Kurebia Maria Hampton, 16, of Woodbridge, were arrested June 29 after the beating of Natalie Giles Davis, 25.

Police said Davis's attackers threw her onto the ground after a traffic dispute, slammed her head into the sidewalk and then kicked her in the head. Dixon and Hampton initially were charged with aggravated malicious wounding; prosecutors sought the murder charges after Davis died Thursday of her injuries.

Prince William Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert said he would seek to have Hampton tried as an adult.

Fairfax Escapee Captured in Tennessee

A man who escaped from the Fairfax County jail in May was captured in Tennessee on Sunday after sheriff's deputies shot out the tires of the stolen van he was driving, officials said.

Todd Hiney, 38, a convicted robber, was one of two men who broke out of the jail May 28 by smashing a hole in a concrete wall, then lowering themselves 23 feet down the jail's exterior by using braided bedsheets.

The other man, Willie C. Williams, was arrested the next day in Baltimore.

Fairfax investigators tracked Hiney to North Carolina and then to the Tidewater area of Virginia. It was there that Hiney picked up two hitchhikers headed for Texas, said Fairfax sheriff's Detective Ron Kidwell.

Hiney was driving a Sears company van that had been stolen elsewhere in Virginia, officials said.

On Sunday, Hiney and the two hitchhikers stopped at a rest area along Interstate 40 in Smith County, Tenn., several miles south of Carthage. When Hiney spotted a state trooper, he returned to the Sears van and fled without the hitchhikers, Kidwell said.

After police broadcast a lookout for the van, a tow truck driver spotted it three miles away, Kidwell said. Tennessee authorities chased the van along the interstate, then shot out the tires when the van didn't stop, he said. Hiney waived his right to an extradition hearing yesterday in Smith County, and Fairfax authorities planned to pick him up today.


One Killed, Another Wounded in Shootings

One man was fatally shot and another critically wounded last night in unrelated shootings in the District, officials said.

A man was found shot to death about 9 p.m. in a second-floor apartment in a building in the 2700 block of Langston Place SE, officials said. Police did not release any further information on the slaying, and the victim's name was not released pending notification of family members.

D.C. police were called to another shooting scene about 7 p.m. near 13th Street and Spring Road NW. Officers found a man who had been shot several times while sitting in a car.

The man was taken to Washington Hospital Center and was listed in critical condition last night.

Police yesterday also reported two homicides over the weekend.

Dennis Caine, 44, of the 1800 block of Savannah Street SE, was stabbed on that block early Sunday, police said. He was taken to D.C. General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:43 p.m.

Early Saturday, officers responding to a report of a shooting in the 5000 block of D Street SE found a man lying on the sidewalk with a gunshot wound to the chest. The victim, identified as William Brock Crews, 24, of the 3000 block of Brightseat Road in Lanham, was pronounced dead at 1:55 a.m.