Thomas Francis Lancer

Army Colonel

Thomas Francis Lancer, 92, a retired Army colonel who served as provost marshal and military governor in Germany after World War II, died June 12 at Alexandria Hospital. He was injured in an auto accident in Arlington on April 24.

Arlington police said Col. Lancer and his wife, Ann Lancer, both were injured when he accidentally drove their car into a garage wall at the Hyatt Crystal City.

Col. Lancer, who lived at the Fairfax retirement facility at Fort Belvoir, had lived in the Washington area off and on since 1960s.

He was a native of New York and a graduate of Manhattan College, St. John's Law School and the Industrial College of the Armed Forces. He was an FBI agent before World War II.

A commander of a military police platoon, Col. Lancer served in North Africa, Sicily and France and participated in the D-day landings of the war.

After the war, he was military governor of Aachen and Bonn in Germany, commandant of a military police school and provost marshal in Berlin during the airlift there.

After he retired, he was special assistant to the New York City school superintendent.

He lectured at the New York City Police Academy and was a consultant to the United Nations security force.

In recent years, he was interviewed for a History Chanel program on the D-day invasions.

His honors included a Legion of Merit and two Bronze Stars.

Col. Lancer was a consultant to the Civil Service Appeals Board in the early 1970s and a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Military Order of Foreign Wars, Civil War Roundtable of Fairfax and the Society of the First Division, Army Navy Club and American Legion.

His marriage to Elizabeth Lancer ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Ann Lancer of Fort Belvoir; a daughter from his first marriage, Cynthia Lancer-Barnes of Bermuda; and three grandsons.

Jeanette Roberts Williams

Teacher and Church Member

Jeanette Roberts Williams, 88, a retired Pennsylvania elementary school teacher who was a member of Faith United Methodist Church in Rockville, died of congestive heart failure June 27 at Asbury Methodist Village's Wilson Health Care Center in Gaithersburg.

Mrs. Williams came to the Washington area in 1983 and lived at the Bethany House retirement community in Rockville before moving to Asbury Methodist Village in April.

A Pennsylvania native, she graduated from what is now Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Pa., then began her career teaching in a one-room school house in Salem Township, Pa.

She spent 16 years in the Lake-Leham school district in Harveys, Pa., before retiring in 1976 as a head teacher.

Her husband, James S. Williams Jr., died in 1966.

Survivors include two daughters, Nancy W. Pugh of Potomac and Roberta J. Chase of Derwood; and two grandchildren.

Alice Brennan Jobe


Alice Brennan Jobe, 80, a Fairfax resident who retired in 1983 after 11 years as a secretary for the Defense Contract Audit Agency, died of cancer July 3 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Jobe, who earlier worked for the office of the quartermaster general and the Economic Cooperation Administration, was a Texas native who attended North Texas State Teachers College and the University of Texas.

She came to the Washington area after working as a secretary at Army Air bases in Texas during World War II.

She was a member of Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Burke. In the 1960s, she was hospitality chairman and Altar Guild member at St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean and a member of the Altar Guild at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, Milton Lockwood Jobe of Fairfax; and two children, Stephen Jobe of Kingstown, Va., and Cheryl Jobe of Alexandria.

W. Franklin Bernheisel

Air Force Officer

W. Franklin Bernheisel, 95, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and meteorologist who later was a mathematics professor, died July 2 at the Knollwood retirement community in Washington after a stroke.

Col. Bernheisel enlisted in the Army in 1927 and was commissioned in the Army Air Forces near the outbreak of World War II. He retired from active Air Force duty in 1953. He later taught mathematics at Hampden-Sydney College and the University of Maryland Eastern Shore before retiring altogether in 1969.

His Army career included World War II work in helping establish the North Atlantic weather network. He also was base weather officer in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Postwar assignments included a tour as deputy commander of the U.S. Air Weather Service in Europe during the Berlin Airlift. His last Air Force assignment was at Loring Air Force Base in Maine.

Col. Bernheisel, who had maintained a home in the Washington area since 1956, was born in Wheeling, W.Va.

A graduate of George Washington University, he received a master's degree in mathematics from Purdue University.

His interests included sailing.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Bertha McCaslin Bernheisel of Washington; two sons, John Franklin Bernheisel of Falls Church and David Hall Bernheisel of Lewes, Del.; seven grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.

William A. Moody

Machine Accounts Manager

William A. Moody, 59, who was involved in defense products marketing for Caterpillar Inc. before leaving the company on medical disability in 1997, died July 4 at Columbia Reston Hospital Center. He had diabetes and heart ailments.

Mr. Moody was born in Peoria, Ill., and lived in Herndon. He attended Western Illinois University and Eureka College. He served in the Army before joining Caterpillar in the mid-1960s.

In 1975, the company transferred him from its operations in Peoria to Washington, where he later became machine accounts manager of defense and federal products.

As a volunteer, he coached youth baseball and basketball teams in Herndon. He also was an organizer of Kingston Chase Swim Team in Herndon and a referee for the Basketball League of Northern Virginia.

He was a corporate member of the Fairfax-Lee chapter of the Association of U.S. Army and an honorary member of the faculty of the Army Logistics Management Center.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, JeTaun Moody of Herndon; three children, Gil C. Moody of Ashburn, W. Keith Moody of Omaha and Nicolet A. Moody of Herndon; his mother, Frances P. Baker Moody of Peoria; a sister; and a grandson.

William Eugene Deavers Sr.

Tile Contractor

William Eugene Deavers Sr., 58, a self-employed tile contractor, died of heart ailments July 2 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Deavers, a Front Royal, Va., native and former Waldorf resident, had lived in Hughesville for four years.

Survivors include his wife, Clara V. Deavers of Hughesville; three children, William E. Deavers Jr. of Broomes Island and Gregory A. Deavers and Cynthia A. Busey, both of Hughesville; two sisters, Shirley Palm of Frederick, Md., and Wanda Boyd of Front Royal; and three grandchildren.

Rene A. Wheeler

Church Member

Rene A. Wheeler, 88, a former apartment manager who was a member of Woodbine Baptist Church in Manassas, died of sepsis July 5 at Potomac Hospital. She had Alzheimer's disease and lived at the Woodbridge Nursing Center.

Mrs. Wheeler, a Texas native who had attended the University of Oklahoma, came to the Washington area in 1966. From 1967 to 1970, she was assistant manager of the Dolley Madison Village apartment complex in McLean.

In 1978, she moved from McLean to New York state, where she lived until returning to the Washington area in 1985 to live in Woodbridge.

Her husband, Gerrit S. Wheeler, died in 1985. Survivors include a daughter, Monika Krese of Woodbridge; two sisters; and a grandson.