A Prince William man who searched for his dog rather than leave his burning house Thursday afternoon has died of his injuries.

Charles Henkle, 65, of 4525 Sudley Rd., died yesterday at Prince William Hospital. The cause of death was smoke inhalation, fire officials said.

Henkle was injured when a fire broke out at his home late Thursday afternoon. A neighbor said he heard yells and saw thick smoke billowing from the house before noticing Henkle at a window. The man tried to get Henkle to jump from the window, but he said Henkle went back in to get his Jack Russell terrier, disappearing into the smoke.

The civilian and a police officer tried unsuccessfully to rescue Henkle before firefighters arrived on the scene. Firefighters found Henkle on the second floor. Rescue workers administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation and took him to Prince William Hospital.

Fire officials say the blaze was caused by a faulty electrical cord. Damage to the house is estimated at $50,000. Fire officials said the house did not have smoke detectors.

--Victoria Benning

CAPTION: Prince William firefighters C.J. Fox, left, and Joe Fox rest Thursday after battling a house fire at 4525 Sudley Rd. Charles Henkle, who lived there, was overcome by smoke while trying to rescue his Jack Russell terrier.