Charles Allen Melton

Army Colonel

Charles Allen Melton, 79, a retired Army Corps of Engineers colonel who also was an automotive technology professor at Northern Virginia Community College, died of a heart attack June 10 at a hospital in Winter Haven, Fla.

Col. Melton, an Alexandria resident since 1963, had traveled to Winter Haven to attend a friend's funeral.

He served 31 years with the Corps of Engineers, beginning in 1942. He served in Europe during World War II and in Korea and Vietnam during the wars there. At the time of his retirement in 1973, he was post engineer at Fort Belvoir.

His military honors included two Bronze Stars.

From 1974 to 1988, he taught at NOVA's Alexandria campus.

He was born in Lorain, Ohio. He was a graduate of Ohio State University. He received a master's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Wisconsin and a doctorate in education from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

His wife, Geraldine Melton, died in 1991. Survivors include four children, Teresa Harp of Manassas, Michael Melton of Boston, James Melton of Alexandria and Charles Melton Jr. of Yutan, Neb.; and six grandchildren.

Loraine V. Lowry

Legal Secretary

Loraine V. Lowry, 83, a retired legal secretary who had lived in the Washington area for 60 years, died of congestive heart failure July 5 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Lowry, who lived in Falls Church, worked for the Washington firm of Trammel, Rand & Nathan from 1951 to 1988. Earlier, she was a State Department secretary and worked in the office of Rep. Victor E. Wickersham (D-Okla.).

Mrs. Lowry was born in Oswego, Kan., and was raised in Oklahoma.

Her marriage to Elroy Lowry ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Robert L. Lowry Sr. of Falls Church; a sister; four grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Francis A. `Frank' Connors

Exhibit Coordinator

Francis A. "Frank" Connors, 70, an exhibitions coordinator at the Capital Centre in the 1970s and 1980s, died June 23 at his home in Washington.

He had suffered a stroke and had a heart ailment.

Mr. Connors was born in Lawrence, Mass.

He served in the Army in Germany after World War II and moved to Washington in 1949.

Mr. Connors worked first at the Bureau of National Affairs as a typist and copy cutter and later for the National Association of Broadcasters.

He was a Eucharistic minister and office worker at St. Stephen the Martyr Catholic Church in Washington and a volunteer at George Washington University Hospital.

There are no immediate survivors.