Two D.C. men and a woman were arraigned on murder charges Thursday in Fauquier County District Court, accused of gunning down a 28-year-old man with Bealeton ties last weekend on an access road to Warrenton's Comfort Inn.

Appearing by video linkup from the Fauquier County Adult Correctional Center, the three also were assigned court-appointed attorneys by Judge Charles B. Foley.

Charged with first-degree murder in the death of Terry Leon Tyler are Frederick E. Lucas, 25, of Southwest Washington, and James E. Reid, 19, and Katrina G. Brookins, 29, both of the same address in Southeast Washington. Relatives said Brookins and Reid are cousins.

Several friends and relatives of the accused were in court for the arraignment Thursday.

Foley set a preliminary hearing for July 19. But because all three have different attorneys who have not had time to review their cases, prosecutors said they expect the hearing to be delayed. The three are being held without bond.

Authorities said the suspects killed Tyler after an argument at the inn off Route 29 late the morning of July 3. A medical examiner's report said Tyler died of multiple gunshot wounds. At least two weapons were used in the killing, officials said.

After the shooting, the three fled, officials said, along with a fourth woman who has not been charged, and were involved in a noontime chase through heavy traffic on Interstate 66 that began near the Route 50 interchange and ended at Nutley Street.

Fauquier sheriff's investigators said they recovered one of the weapons used in the shooting and several shell casings the suspects threw out of their car window during the chase.

Police revealed no details about the motive for the shooting, other than to say it was not related to drugs or money.

New details have emerged about the victim, whose wife lives in Warrenton. According to Capt. Fred Pfeiff, of the Fauquier Sheriff's Department, Tyler "floated back and forth" between Bealeton and Washington.

Curtis Brookins, 31, a noncommissioned Army officer and the husband of Katrina Brookins, said she and Tyler went to school together. Curtis Brookins said it was common knowledge in the neighborhood that Tyler had a violent past.

Tyler was convicted in 1994 of voluntary manslaughter in the stabbing death of his brother, who died after the two quarreled at the brother's Haymarket home in 1993, police said. Tyler said at the time that he had stabbed his brother in the back in self-defense. That same year, Tyler was convicted of cocaine possession, according to court records. For those convictions, he was sentenced to three years in prison and was released on parole in 1997, according to Virginia Department of Corrections officials.