Convict in Custody Fight to Move

Latrena Pixley, the District woman fighting for custody of her toddler son while she is on probation for killing an infant daughter seven years ago, is moving out of a District halfway house and into her own apartment, her lawyer said yesterday.

Pixley, 26, will move this weekend from Hannah House, a facility for women on probation, to a Southeast apartment complex, said Ralph E. Hall Jr., one of Pixley's lawyers.

Pixley asked D.C. Superior Court Judge George W. Mitchell for permission to move, saying she has completed the program at Hannah House, has a steady job doing secretarial work and has found a child-friendly apartment complex, Hall said. She will remain under the supervision of a probation agent for two years as part of her murder sentence, Hall said.

Pixley is fighting for custody of her 2 1/2-year-old son, Cornilous, in Montgomery County.


Man Convicted in Card Party Slayings

A 21-year-old Forestville man was convicted yesterday of killing a man during a card party last December, then returning to the same apartment days later to shoot a witness, authorities said.

After about four hours of deliberation over two days, a Prince George's County jury convicted Keith Carroll, 21, of murdering John Thomas, 34, on Dec. 12 and Angela Sipes, 27, on Dec. 15, the state's attorney's office said.

Both victims were shot to death.

During her closing statement, Assistant State's Attorney Tara Harrison described Carroll as a "cold, ruthless" killer who was bold enough to return to the scene of his first murder to eliminate a witness.

Carroll shot and killed Thomas and also shot Sipes, though someone else shot her after Carroll did, prosecutors said.


Lottery Winner Charged in Ticket Theft

A Hampton, Va., man who twice went to a convenience store to cash in winning lottery tickets and buy 40-ounce bottles of beer was arrested this week and charged with stealing 400 lottery tickets during a break-in at another store a few hours earlier.

Anthony Keith Walker collected an estimated $100 off his winning scratch-off lottery tickets, police Sgt. Jeff Walden said. Walker was charged with burglary, grand larceny and obtaining money by false pretenses, police said.

Walker was arrested after Tinee Giant clerk David Holt called to say Walker had been into his store twice to cash a handful of winning lottery tickets.

"It just seemed odd," Holt said. "He never had much money, then he comes in with a stack of lottery tickets."