Ever wonder about what's being built -- or what a developer proposes to build -- on the vacant land around the corner? This feature is intended to provide an easy way for you to learn about planned development throughout St. Mary's County.
Using information provided by the St. Mary's County Department of Planning and Zoning, and the Leonardtown Planning and Zoning Commission, Southern Maryland Extra gives you a monthly update on planned subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers and other development. The map and chart identify planned projects that were processed by officials in June.
The status of the projects is described in three categories:
Projects Proposed, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans/Concept Plans Proposed are residential, commercial or industrial projects submitted for approval. Public hearings are held before any action by the Planning Commission.
Projects Approved, Preliminary Plans/Site Plans Approved are residential, commercial or industrial projects approved by the Planning Commission for development of land.
Building Permits allow a property owner to begin clearing or grading land for construction.
I. PROJECTS PROPOSED
1. PATUXENT BAPTIST CHURCH, Route 4, northeast of Route 235. A concept development site plan for a 15,400-square-foot church building on 8.96 acres.
GOLDEN BEACH AREA
2. PATUXENT VIEW, Trent Hall Road, north of Route 6. A concept development site plan for construction of eight single-family houses on 571 acres.
3. CLEARFIELDS OF BRETON BAY, Monterey Place, south of White Oak. A plan to subdivide 94 acres into 29 lots for single-family houses.
4. HEAD OF THE BAY SUBDIVISION, Pin Cushion Road, north of intersection with Route 234. A concept development site plan for five farmsteads and nine lots for single-family houses on 281 acres.
LEXINGTON PARK AREA
5. HOTEL SITE, Route 235, south of Pegg Road. A standard site plan for a 99-room hotel totaling 36,921 square feet on 2.19 acres.
POINT LOOKOUT AREA
6. ST. JEROME'S BRANCH, Fresh Pond Neck Road, east of Route 5. A concept development site plan for a 12-lot subdivision for single-family houses on 73.218 acres.
II. PROJECTS APPROVED
7. HICKORY HILLS, Meath Road, south of Amber Drive. Final approval to subdivide 10.66 acres into 63 lots for single-family houses.
GREAT MILLS AREA
8. EMERALD HILLS ESTATES, PHASE 1, Willows Road, south of Shangri-La South. A reapproval of record plat for Phase I, containing 30 lots for construction of single-family houses on 14.85 acres.
9. VILLAGES AT LEONARDTOWN, north side of Route 234, near intersection of Route 5. Final approval to subdivide 53.73 acres into 85 lots for single-family houses in phased-in plan.
III. BUILDING PERMITS
10. HOLY ANGELS SCHOOL, Route 242, south of Ellis Road. A permit for construction of a two-story addition to the existing school on 12.18 acres.