Man Stabbed to Death in Northwest

A man was stabbed to death in Northwest Washington minutes after he left a nightclub Saturday night, police said yesterday.

Darryl Antonio Brown, 32, was found in front of an apartment building in the 6800 block of Georgia Avenue NW shortly before 11 p.m., police said. The attack took place about 50 feet from the Office Lounge club, across from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Brown was pronounced dead at 12:34 a.m. Sunday at Washington Hospital Center. The stab wounds punctured Brown's liver and aorta, family members said.

An altercation in the club may have precipitated the stabbing, said Lt. Alvin M. Brown, head of the violent crimes unit for the 4th Police District.

No arrests had been made as of yesterday.

NBA Player Arrested on Gun Charge

A National Basketball Association player was arrested and charged early Sunday with carrying a pistol without a license, District police said.

Michael J. Smith, 27, who has played for the Vancouver Grizzlies for 1 1/2 seasons and lives in the 4700 block of Montgomery Lane in Bethesda, was arrested at 3:20 a.m. near Elm and Third streets NW after police said they found a loaded .380 semiautomatic pistol in the trunk of a car, said Sgt. Joe Gentile, a police spokesman.

Channing D. Phillips, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, said Smith allegedly had been involved in an altercation earlier that evening in a nightclub at 14th and U streets NW. A man who was driving the car in which the gun was found also was arrested on the same charge.

Smith joined the Grizzlies after playing 3 1/2 seasons for the Sacramento Kings. He averaged 7.3 rebounds and 4.8 points per game last season for Vancouver.


Man Admits Killing Wife's Brother

A 24-year-old Manassas Park man pleaded guilty yesterday to fatally shooting his wife's brother in what was the first fatal shooting in the small city since 1985.

Eddie C. Andrews calmly admitted in Prince William County Circuit Court to killing Rodney L. Smith Jr., 23, who police said was shot 13 times in the back and chest on Sept. 1, 1998. Smith was the brother of Andrews's estranged wife, Laverne Andrews.

According to testimony, Eddie Andrews shot Smith four times in the back and then straddled him before shooting him nine more times in his chest and side. Police said the two had been arguing for several weeks after Andrews was charged with domestic assault for allegedly punching his wife. During that time, Smith allegedly threatened Andrews with a gun.

As part of a plea bargain, prosecutors recommended that Circuit Court Judge Richard B. Potter sentence Andrews to 60 years in prison, with about half the sentence suspended. Potter could impose up to a life sentence at a hearing scheduled for Oct. 21.

Boy, 12, Charged in Robbery Attempt

A 12-year-old boy was charged with attempted armed robbery in Prince William County after allegedly putting a knife to the throat of a 9-year-old boy who had just bought a treat from an ice cream truck and demanding money, police said.

"We are seeing more violent crimes and more and more use of weapons among juveniles," Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul B. Ebert said of the incident, which occurred Sunday in the Dale City area. "What used to be fistfights all too often winds up with one party having some sort of weapon."

The suspect, who wasn't identified because of his age, was being held in a juvenile detention center.

According to police spokesman Dennis Mangan, no money was taken.

"The victim said he didn't have any, and the suspect said he better have some next time," Mangan said.

On a Bet, Man Streaks to Jail

It probably seemed like a safe bet. A group of men gathered at a McLean baseball field Saturday night challenged Ethan Jerome to run around the bases. Naked. Jerome took the bet, but as he was into his dash, a Fairfax County police officer happened upon the festivities and arrested Jerome for indecent exposure.

The streaking revival occurred about 8:30 p.m. on the field next to Westgate Elementary School, on Magarity Road. Police said Officer Jeffrey Yarbrough's attention was drawn to the naked spectacle by the group of people on the field. Jerome, 23, of Waldorf, was booked into the Fairfax County jail and released on a $5,000 unsecured bond.